Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bump Steer Kit Ideas...

Reaction score
I was talking to a buddy of mine that has a pretty badazz bumpsteer kit on his 03 Cobra and came into this...

http://www.racecraft.com/products.php?cat=75&pg=4

they use 5/8 grade 8 bolts and big hiem joints...

we would need to drill out the spindle to accept the 5/8 bolt but that's no biggie...

the only thing is I'm not sure if the threads match up for the tie rod to work with it, if anything we need the threaded sleeves machined (not that big a deal either)

Since you have access to an X to take apart, could you do the R&D and find out if the threads work together, or make sleeves that match...

also if there's a way to space the steering rack up some to add to the spacers on the tie rod ends since there's only a certain amount of spacer that can be used...

Thanks,:driver:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that i have ever heard of this. What does it do exactly?

VooDooTrip

Reaction score
Are they anything like these that I have?
SSPX0021.jpg

SSPX0027.jpg

SSPX0032.jpg

Reaction score
Kinda VooDoo, your part is a tension rod, and the bumpsteer kit is for tie rods and replaces the ball joint that connects to the spindle...

your tension rod connect your sub-frame to your lower control arms and prevent your wheels from going forward and back... I had heim jointed tension rods on my CRX too :top:

the bumpsteer kit is to make the steering tie rod straighter for lowered vehicles making bumpsteer go away...

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
To keep the truck from steering itself in road grooves. If you let the wheel go on a bad street, the truck won't go straight, it will follow the grooves in the road.

Reaction score
It's more for bumps on the road surface, grooves will steer your vehicle if it's stock or slammed...

The groves tend to pocket the wheel like a track for a train in a sense, and a bump will change the the direction the wheel is traveling completely because of incorrect angle of tie rod during suspension travel...

When the tie rod is level it does a better job making the wheel go up and down without turning the wheels in and out...

When the tie rod is at an angle, the angle causes the wheel to go in and out because there is no room for direct up and down movement...

VooDooTrip

Reaction score
Kinda VooDoo, your part is a tension rod, and the bumpsteer kit is for tie rods and replaces the ball joint that connects to the spindle...

your tension rod connect your sub-frame to your lower control arms and prevent your wheels from going forward and back... I had heim jointed tension rods on my CRX too :top:

the bumpsteer kit is to make the steering tie rod straighter for lowered vehicles making bumpsteer go away...
Cool, Thanks :top: I would be up for these too.. we can do some fabbing..

Reaction score
Cool, Thanks :top: I would be up for these too.. we can do some fabbing..

I don't know anything about your year Taco so it could bolt up as is...

Besides finding out if the threads, thicknesses, and lengths will match up with their heim joint ends to our tie rods, we need to know if it is safe enough to drill out our spindles to 5/8" where the ball joint would normally go to use their kit...

BTW I like the looks of your suspension from what I've seen here and on CT:top:

What kinda driving you into?

Last edited:

VooDooTrip

Reaction score
Well by the time I am done with this I want to be able to set it up for the 1/4 on a Friday night, then take it to the stadium on Sat. for autoX. I am up for anything and everything... as long as it's fast or twisty :D

kwigs

Reaction score
i like the sounds of this i was out on some twisties last weekend pushing it pretty hard but every bump made it jolt the wheel one way or another. is thier any input on this at all? what size are the bolts on the stock spindles does any one know

Last edited:

firetuner911

Reaction score
wow, thanks for layin it out like that,i would deff be down for that, especially with the wide tires, the ruts in the pavement really pull the truck bad.

Reaction score
i like the sounds of this i was out on some twisties last weekend pushing it pretty hard but every bump made it jolt the wheel one way or another. is thier any input on this at all? what size are the bolts on the stock spindles does any one know

We wouldn't need to go by the size of the bolt/nut but by the size of the area that the bolt would go through...

Let's say the bottom part of the taper was already 5/8" then I could go ahead and drill out the rest of the material that makes the taper and make it compatible with the bolt supplied in the kit...

I personally haven't gotten the chance to R&D any of this out yet, but hopefully someone bored with an X conveniently up in the air will check it out for us

08XRUN

Reaction score
I hope someone can come up with something like you are talking about, I love my DJM kit but the bump steer sucks.:thumpdown:

kelson

Reaction score
i was just wondering....would a strut on the steering rack work? like those 4X4 guys have...would it even help or am i just a moron lol

Top Bottom