Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cleaning engine bay

Deathoftheparty

Reaction score
Anybody have a quick and easy way of cleaning your engine bay without having to blast it with a pressure washer. I prefer not to everything soaking wet, just makes me feel sketchy throwing water all over it.

giox

Reaction score
i feel you.. i wanna know a quick way to do it as well

12trdtacoma

Reaction score
I spray off the whole engine bay with garden hose and spray quick detailer on a rag and wipe everything down not the fastest way ut the world but seems to work for me

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER EVER!!

To clean the engine bay I cover up the alt, fuse box and any other under hood electronics that you don't want wet... Then using a spray bottle I add in dawn dish soap yup Dawn the grease cutting stuff.... Spray the entire bay then with light pressure with a garden hose wash down. Repeat if necessary and when done wipe with a cloth. Finally I spray all plastic parts with some maxima SC-1(find it at any MX shop) and bam good to go!
IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

If is really really bad and you don't want to do it yourself take it to a detailer and have them steam clean your bay....

Deathoftheparty

Reaction score
DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER EVER!! To clean the engine bay I cover up the alt, fuse box and any other under hood electronics that you don't want wet... Then using a spray bottle I add in dawn dish soap yup Dawn the grease cutting stuff.... Spray the entire bay then with light pressure with a garden hose wash down. Repeat if necessary and when done wipe with a cloth. Finally I spray all plastic parts with some maxima SC-1(find it at any MX shop) and bam good to go! If is really really bad and you don't want to do it yourself take it to a detailer and have them steam clean your bay....

Hell yeah thanks for the info hottacox

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
I wish I could get mine look that good. All that undercoating spray doesn't help, the dust and sand sticks to it.

12trdtacoma

Reaction score

To clean the engine bay I cover up the alt, fuse box and any other under hood electronics that you don't want wet... Then using a spray bottle I add in dawn dish soap yup Dawn the grease cutting stuff.... Spray the entire bay then with light pressure with a garden hose wash down. Repeat if necessary and when done wipe with a cloth. Finally I spray all plastic parts with some maxima SC-1(find it at any MX shop) and bam good to go!
IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

If is really really bad and you don't want to do it yourself take it to a detailer and have them steam clean your bay....
never thought about using sc-1 i use it on my dirtbikes all the time haha good tip, i will def have to try that . where did u get the battery bracket and the carbon fiber fuse box ?

justin13703

Reaction score
I know hottaco said it already but I'll say it again, a pressure washer has no business being pointed at any part of a vehicle lol. All I do is cover up the important electrical stuff, fuse box etc, and spray everything down with simple green. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, then just spray it off with low pressure from a garden hose. Then just use whatever detailer you like to get water spots and shine everything up. It doesn't need to be blasted out with 3 million psi lol

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
never thought about using sc-1 i use it on my dirtbikes all the time haha good tip, i will def have to try that . where did u get the battery bracket and the carbon fiber fuse box ?

Yeah Gadget gave me that tip, a few years ago I had used it on my bike as well, works awesome on the truck, that pic was the morning of a car show after I drive to it and it was applied the night before...

As for under the hood accents the cf rad cover and fuse box cover were made by a vendor that is no longer around as well as the tie down. However good news is that coupe has picked up the slack on the tie down side he offers a variety of colors!

giox

Reaction score
thats a good eay to fo seems easy... that battery bracket bad ass i need one bad coupe sells some what do you mean??

Can XR

Reaction score
I try and keep mine as clean as possible but like Gator said the undercoating acts like glue. Good tips though I'm going to try the dawn and spray bottle in the spring.

nolove

Reaction score
great tips, thanks guys. +1 for the dawn and spray bottle.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup I usually just use shopping bags with a little bit of electrical tape to make sure it doesn't move. To which don't be reaching down the engine bay with a hot engine. You should be washing a cold engine...

Also as a side note I have tried the engine degreaser in can and didn't particularly like them. Mainly the results weren't any different, they smell like crap and it doesn't do your driveway any favors....

Deathoftheparty

Reaction score
Yup I usually just use shopping bags with a little bit of electrical tape to make sure it doesn't move. To which don't be reaching down the engine bay with a hot engine. You should be washing a cold engine... Also as a side note I have tried the engine degreaser in can and didn't particularly like them. Mainly the results weren't any different, they smell like crap and it doesn't do your driveway any favors....

Ok cool thanks again

FLJJ24

Reaction score

I should have looked on here earlier before I detailed my truck.

decade

Reaction score

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

Good to know. However, just curious. One time I dropped of my wife's 4Runner to toyota dealer, I saw them washed the car and engine bay from far away. It looks like they didn't covered anything. Is that ok?

Deathoftheparty

Reaction score
Good to know. However, just curious. One time I dropped of my wife's 4Runner to toyota dealer, I saw them washed the car and engine bay from far away. It looks like they didn't covered anything. Is that ok?

I only covered the filter so that way I didn't suck up any left over water or anything

Top Bottom