Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coolant drain/Flush From block & radiator w/Pictures

671PinoyDee

Reaction score
I tried searching but I didn't think I found a complete write up yet about coolant flushes... Since there are people with question still after an explanation (for example "where are the drain bolts on the block) I decided to Take pictures as I was doing my coolant flush and thought i'd make a write up as complete as possible. :smile:

Tools:
10mm with ratchet and long extensions.. I used 2 extensions on the passenger side and medium size
extension on the driver side...
flat head screw driver to help pry out some fasteners at the wheel well.
Jack stands and lug nut remover.
3/8 o.d. clear pvs hose.. I would get one just slighty bigger opening cause this one I used was quite small I had to jam a screw driver in there to stretch it out a bit.

Distilled water 98cents at walmart.. (dont use any other water due to having minerals and salt in them) I used 4 gallons since I flushed it twice.

and finally your antifreeze.. I used the pink long life from toyota already mixed. I used 2 gallons till it got full.

Lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First ill show you the passenger side.

Jack up your truck and take out both front wheels.. I found this is the easier way to access the block drain bolts (you can see the bolts from the wheel well)
attachment.php

with a flat head pry out these fasteners holding this cover piece on the wheel well... I found out if you can put your finger behind it you can actually depress the clips behind it and then pull the fastener straight out, but it will kinda hurt your finger tips...
attachment.php

Now when you look through the wheel well to the engine block (passenger side) you will notice 2 bolts.. One has this opening tube attached to it I believe its called a petcock.. Thats where you attach you clearn pvc hose to.. when you loosen the screw fluid will start coming out of that opening. Do not take out the screw, just loosen it till fluid pours out....
attachment.php

Attach your Clear pvc hose to the "petcock" the opening tube coming from that screw.. Like in this picture....
attachment.php

Attach your extensions to your ratchet and a 10mm at the end of it and turn it counter clockwise to loosen then coolant will start to come out....
attachment.php

Now Let's do the DRIVERS SIDE... its a lil tricky cause the bolt is a lil more hidden inside.... You gotta get your hand in and around the shocks to access the bolt...

Again your gonna have to pry out these plastic fasteners... I did both sides of the shocks... the left and the right.. . I only used the left side to help look through, I actually used the right side of the shocks to slip my hand through to access the bolt....
attachment.php

Heres a close up on the driver side bolt......
IMG_4413_zpsf6c29559.jpg

You will have to get a medium size extension and ratchet and wiggle your hand in this area of the drivers side in order to loosen up the bolt... Its not as easy at the passenger side but it was actually easier than I thought. I used my right hand... heres a pix of the clear hose on the drivers side bolt and fluid coming out of it.....
IMG_4419_zpsd6dd152e.jpg

I used my oil pan to catch all the fluids.. I just taped up the hoses on the inside sides of the oil pan and let it drained in there...
IMG_4418_zps46ff9288.jpg

For those of you still wondering here is the location of the drain plug in the bottom of the radiator..... I also attached the clear hose to here....
IMG_4420_zps7b8beec0.jpg

After its all drained.... I tightened back the screws..... Went up to the top of the radiator cap and filled it all up with DISTILLED WATER.. took me about 2 bottles.. .... I then ran the engine until it got hot and temperature went half way, assuring that the water went into the block..... After that turn off your truck and let it cool for a while... I let it cool for about 40 mins or depending on how hot your engine is..You dont wanna get burned and you dont wanna put cold water into a super hot engine it can crack the black thats what i heard... then I opened up the bolts again and let it all drain out... tightened it and repeat it the process one more time adding water.. You'll notice after you drain it for second time it starts getting clearer and clearer...
IMG_4421_zpse57d6695.jpg

Now your all done and ready to roll... I repeated the flush process twice,, then you tighten all your bolts and put everything back together :blurock: fill up with coolant let it run and then check again in a while add more coolant if needed..... Dont forget to drain your overflow too and add coolant to that... :top:

Attachments

• IMG_4406.jpg
    IMG_4406.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 927
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 889

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Awesome write up. Gonna be doing this soon. Thanks for the pics definitely gonna be easier

Jap

Reaction score
Good write up mate.
Great to see you using distilled/demineralised water :)

671PinoyDee

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!... I had confusion of where are the bolts myself and searched and searched and once again searched... once I finally figured it all out. I decided if I took pix along the way it should make it that much easier for someone else.. I'm glad u guys think so...!!!!!

roy365

Reaction score
I drained my coolant and reservoir recently, but I didn't drain the block like that. I will do this at 100K.

Thank you for the write up man. :top:

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
Great write up, I gotta do this when the weather gets nicer

Grumpy

Reaction score
Excellent write-up! :top:

You should include the size (inside diameter) of the clear hose incase someone want to replicate this procedure.

Coupe

Reaction score
I liked the Vanna White pose with the distilled water..........

671PinoyDee

Reaction score
Excellent write-up! :top:

You should include the size (inside diameter) of the clear hose incase someone want to replicate this procedure.

Actually I did state it up top... On the hose itself says 3/8" O.D x 1/4"..... I'm not sure what o.d means but I did need to stretch out the hole a bit by jamming a screw driver in there and twisting it a couple of times.. I just guessed on the hoses while at home depot... If you can get one just slightly bigger hole then it would work better.. again I think O.D. might mean outside diameter but im not sure.. but thats the exact measurments thats on the paper on the hose.

I liked the Vanna White pose with the distilled water..........

hahahahah :rofl: Would that give me a discount on your coupes short shifter mod????? :) :)

Nice job... time to make this a
icon1.png
! :top:

Thanks! this would be a nice sticky.

Nice write up, thanks for the pictures!

Thanks, and no prob.

I drained my coolant and reservoir recently, but I didn't drain the block like that. I will do this at 100K.

Thank you for the write up man. :top:

No prob... Yeah do the block to next time, that way its a complete flush...

Great write up, I gotta do this when the weather gets nicer

Come to San Diego do your coolant, then go back to jersey.. hehehe jk jk.

Last edited:

chatt x

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested, ID (inside diameter) of the tubing to do the drain on the block is 5/16". At least it worked well for me with not having to stretch the tubing and having a leak free fit. Great write up! :top:

chatt x

Reaction score
^^^huh? Please explain what bolt you are referring to?:dontknow:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
That's one job I have to do in the spring, replace the coolant. TKS for the info.

06 xrunner

Reaction score
How did u connect the hose to the bolts in the block?

If you look at the pics it's not a bolt the hose connects too it's a little tube right by it. The bolt you just loosen to let the coolant flow out.

I flushed my block last summer really easy to do

Top Bottom