Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Custom Notch Done

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
After being nervous for about 2 weeks as my truck went "under the knife" to get a custom c-notch, it's finally done and I'm pretty happy with the results. I had a couple of requirements for the notch:
  • I wanted the arch to be strong, as strong as the original frame if possible, which is quite a challenge given how much metal was going to be removed. I figure if an arch is good enough for the Romans, it's good enough for me! (See Frame Notch Strength Testing for info on various notch types.)
  • I wanted the frame "boxed" (i.e., a reinforcement plate on both sides of the frame.)
  • I wanted as few places as possible for road salt to collect since this is my daily driver and this will be driven in the Winter :(
Overall, the company that did the work definitely came through! I didn't realize the reinforcement plates would be smoothed into the frame until I got home and looked at it. Heck, if I didn't know better, I'd think that the truck came this way.

Obviously, there's no provision for a bump-stop at the moment. I'm trying to decide if I want to have a bracket welded to the side of the frame or if I want to mount an inverted bump-stop on the axle. I hate to ruin the smooth look by putting any ugly bracket right in the middle, but I might not have a choice. If I put in air-bags, would I even need a bump-stop? I'm pretty sure I'm going to do bags because I want some load carrying capacity.

If you live in the Midwest and want to know more about who did the work, give send me an IM :cool: I'm not sure if the company that did this would want to do another one or not :p

Unfortunately, my truck isn't actually lowered yet, so no complete truck pics... it's just a stock 2013 regular cab for now.

Driver's side...

8973937834_21ee67c1a6_b.jpg

Driver's side box plate...

8973936780_72e9ac1f0a_b.jpg

Passenger side...

8973935256_376ca5d4f7_b.jpg

Last edited:

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
What drop are you planning to run?
I've got the DJM front kit (re-powder-coated) and StreeTacos.com 4" blocks for the rear... of which I still need to install both. I tried to change my order to 3" blocks, but apparently Brian forget I changed my order and I ended-up with the 4" blocks after a pretty long wait. :smile:

kwigs160966

Reaction score
I've got the DJM front kit (re-powder-coated) and StreeTacos.com 4" blocks for the rear... of which I still need to install both. I tried to change my order to 3" blocks, but apparently Brian forget I changed my order and I ended-up with the 4" blocks after a pretty long wait. :smile:

It looks good nice and strong. I have bags in the back as we'll they work like a charm. I have to say though those are some meaty looking treads you have there

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
It looks good nice and strong. I have bags in the back as we'll they work like a charm.
Is your truck notched? I've been looking at the Air Lift kit. When I look at the directions, I'm a little concerned that the mounting bolt for the top plate might be located where my notch is... hence no place to bolt to(?) I suppose I'll just have to buy the kit and go from there.
I have to say though those are some meaty looking treads you have there
:laugh: Yeah, those are the stock 15" tires. Note the little pricklies are still on the tires as the truck only has 1,200 miles on it. I've got some 19" wheels waiting to go on, but I'm not posting any picks of 'em until the truck is lowered and a few more customizations done :smile:

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Is your truck notched? I've been looking at the Air Lift kit. When I look at the directions, I'm a little concerned that the mounting bolt for the top plate might be located where my notch is... hence no place to bolt to(?) I suppose I'll just have to buy the kit and go from there.

:laugh: Yeah, those are the stock 15" tires. Note the little pricklies are still on the tires as the truck only has 1,200 miles on it. I've got some 19" wheels waiting to go on, but I'm not posting any picks of 'em until the truck is lowered and a few more customizations done :smile:

Yeah I am dim 3/3 I got air bags from airlift they actually mount behind the block but yes you would have to drill a hole through your the frame/notch but I didn't have any issues doing that with the dim c notch.

I still haven't figured out how to put picks of my wheels up lol

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
very nice!! i might try doing a similar notch when i lower my truck

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
Damn, thats nice! So clean, I never did see a notch so clean before!

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
Looks like good work, lets see some pics of the whole truck and what the plans are. What wheels do you have that are going on?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That fab shop did a very nice job on that. Grinded everything smooth. No overspray (at least in the pictures)

They deserve a beer or 2. :top:

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
That fab shop did a very nice job on that. Grinded everything smooth. No overspray (at least in the pictures)

They deserve a beer or 2. :top:
For over-spray, the shop coats the entire vehicle with a spray-on mask. When the work is done, the mask comes off with soap and water. That, and they had the bed off to do the work.

While I do agree they do deserve a beer or two, for the price I paid to get the work done, I'm thinking they can go get their own beer! :laugh:

For a bump-stop, I was thinking about finding some thick rubber, like maybe a semi mud flap, and cutting a strip of it and lining the arch with it. The rubber strip could either be bolted on or perhaps glued on. I'm really having problems with the idea of welding a bracket on the frame for the bump stop and ruining the smoooooooth work!

SPEED808

Reaction score
What I agree that is a super clean notch. Puts my djm notch to shame. I got djm 3 in front and 4.5 inches dropped out back using 4x4 leafs and 3 inch beefed blocks. I don't even use a bump stop. With no load ill never bottom out. I also plan to get the airlift kit. Ill probably have to drill my notch too and make them fit once I put on my sway bar. It's a journey. Aren't you on tacoma world!

If it was mine I'd bolt the bump stop to a metal bracket that sits between ur ubolts with a leg of the bracket held down by each u bolt sitting right on e axle. That's too nice to go and put a whole in!

Last edited:

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
What I agree that is a super clean notch. Puts my djm notch to shame. I got djm 3 in front and 4.5 inches dropped out back using 4x4 leafs and 3 inch beefed blocks. I don't even use a bump stop. With no load ill never bottom out.!
My truck is a daily driver, which means it also gets driven through Wisconsin winters. For me, the DJM kit wasn't an option because drilling all sorts of holes and cutting the frame introduced too many places for rust to start forming... not to mention that seems like a scary amount of metal to remove. I'm *hoping* that my notch will be able to last through the winters since there aren't too many places for salt to collect. In the winter, I have to put ~200 lbs of weight in the bed to get some traction and once our roads start heaving in the Spring thaw, bottoming-out is very likely (my last Taco with 4" blocks bottomed-out quite often.)
I also plan to get the airlift kit. Ill probably have to drill my notch too and make them fit once I put on my sway bar. It's a journey. Aren't you on tacoma world!!
Looks like Amazon.com has the best prices on the Air Lift kit. Yup, I'm on TacomaWorld as well as "Hot Taco", but no one there seems to car about notches... they mostly care about lift kits :eviltongue:
If it was mine I'd bolt the bump stop to a metal bracket that sits between ur ubolts with a leg of the bracket held down by each u bolt sitting right on e axle. That's too nice to go and put a whole in!
I've thought about that... an inverted bump-stop. I'm not sure how well that would work since the leaf-springs aren't directly below the frame which means the bump-stop might not even come in contact with the frame. I'm not home at the moment... when I get back, I'll have to see if an inverted bump-stop is even a possibility.

Top Bottom