Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Door lock actuators fix

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
For the past few months Ive been having to lock my drivers side door manually because the motor in the actuator crapped out. I did not want to spend a couple hundred bucks on the entire actuator from the dealership so i tried to find another solution. I tried the cleaning of the carbon dust in the motor which had worked for most people, but sadly not for mines. So this is what i did.

1. Bought 2 Mabuchi replacement motors for $9.
  2. Using pliers, yanked the geared cap off the old motor.
  3. Opened the up the dead stock motor and the new motor by removing the plastic caps then pulled out the shafts from each. Its only held in by the strength of the magnets in the case.
  4. Put the old stock shaft into the new motor case. (The stock shaft is a halfmoon shape where as the new shaft is round)
  5. Closed it up and tested.

I initially bought the motors thinking i was going to grind down a portion of the motor to get it to a half moon shape to fit the cap back on. But i just decided to try and use the entire old shaft, which ended up working out. If this doesnt work for you, you may need to grind the new shaft down a bit.

This picture just shows what the stock motor in the actuator looks like. You can see the geared cap on the end of the motor which needs to be plied off to be able to pull out the shaft.
146220d1333900302-bad-door-lock-actuators-20120407_154102.jpg

This picture shows the old motor casing with the new round shaft that is circled in red. REMEMBER this is NOT the motor to use, you use the new motor casing with the old shaft which is a half moon shape.
092c4fe8-4dbc-4a44-9c9d-8fffeb7dfc3c.jpg

For those interested in the motors, these are the ones i purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111284894258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I hope this is clear enough. If there are any questions or concerns feel free to ask me and ill do my best to answer.

kayo808

Reaction score
Good thing you posted this cuz my driver side motor is acting up also. I will do this instead of going to servco lol

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
Good thing you posted this cuz my driver side motor is acting up also. I will do this instead of going to servco lol

yeah man, that was the last thing i wanted to do. Even with my friends discount, it probably would have been close to $200. But boy, i feel grateful to have power again. manual locking and unlocking was such a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom