Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installed my door speakers. Wow!!!

Reverend_d

Reaction score
I have done a lot of installs in a lot of car and trucks but this one was a little more difficult than I thought. I made all my speaker mounts sanded them coated them in a product like platidip so that weather and temp would not mess up the wood. Put in all the components and ran into something that through me for a loop. I had sound out of the rear but not the front and then realized that the oe tweeter bridges the front speaker. So I just cut out the wiring from the tweeter heat shrinked the end and weeeeee I had sound.

I put in 6.5 seprates for the front and 6.5 mids in the rear doors still have not built my box for my sub ran out of time today.

Sorry no pics or the install was just too excited to install the speakers and hear them.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Haha I was jus bout to say no pics, and then i read the bottom, nice install though

dramad1

Reaction score
Nice, I'll be swapping mine out soon. What kind (brand) of components? Did you put components in front and rear? Did you run new wiring or did you use the existing wiring? Are you running a amp? Lol questions. I will be doing a complete swap and am interested what you got going on.

Reverend_d

Reaction score
i have not hooked up my amp yet but I have always used Pyle speakers. So I did the same. I put in components in the front and just 6.5 mid woofers in the rear.

dramad1

Reaction score
Did you run new wiring or use the stock wiring? Just curious.

Reaper13

Reaction score
Would love to see pics. Never been a fan of Pyle, but if you like them and they have lasting good quality, more power to you sir.lol

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
here's how I did mine.
2011-10-19125518-2.jpg

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you're using the stock wiring if you're running aftermarket separates. Aftermarket separates usually require 35+RMS. A head unit alone won't get anywhere close to that. You're not getting nearly 100% of what those speakers can do without an amp.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
under the driver seat is a great place for the aforementioned amp :)
2011-10-19163432-3.jpg

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I am confused..... if I replaced my door speakers...... can't I leave the factory ones? And I need to run a better wire all the way to the deck? can't just use what is installed?

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
I am confused..... if I replaced my door speakers...... can't I leave the factory ones? And I need to run a better wire all the way to the deck? can't just use what is installed?
if your replacing speakers, then I would assume you're taking the factory ones out?, and he was saying that running aftermarket speakers off of the stock head unit would be not using them to their full potential. you can run new speakers off of the stock equipment, but it would be a good investment to amplify them.

dramad1

Reaction score
You would also need the adapters that taco tunes sells for around $10 ea. to run the stock wiring with out cutting and splicing.
Hooking your new door speakers w/ new wire to an amp then running rca's to the HU would be the best way to go, but I'm not sure if running rca's to stock HU would work. I haven't looked behind the stock HU for a while now. But if it has RCA ports then it would work.

justin13703

Reaction score
You would also need the adapters that taco tunes sells for around $10 ea. to run the stock wiring with out cutting and splicing.
Hooking your new door speakers w/ new wire to an amp then running rca's to the HU would be the best way to go, but I'm not sure if running rca's to stock HU would work. I haven't looked behind the stock HU for a while now. But if it has RCA ports then it would work.

The factory head unit has no rca's, you would have to use a line output converter to put amps on a factory radio.

I don't understand why you're using the stock wiring if you're running aftermarket separates. Aftermarket separates usually require 35+RMS. A head unit alone won't get anywhere close to that. You're not getting nearly 100% of what those speakers can do without an amp.

I agree with this but he may be saving up to put an amp in later, just adding a 4 channel amp can be pricey, because good cable is not cheap. But yes especially with component speakers, an amp is almost a must.

Last edited:

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I have everything aftermarket but door speakers. And the tweeters. Already running a sub amp and different deck..... But I totally understand where ur coming from.

Does the door speakers make that much a difference?

Reaper13

Reaction score
@canadagirl, new door speakers allow for a clearer and crisper sound. I loved the oem speakers, best I've seen in Toyota in years...yeah, I've owned several.lol
I have replaced mine with kicker and infinity kappas. Sounds amazing. My amp has been installed but my box builder is having to redo my box.

dramad1

Reaction score
No you don't, you can buy the adapter harness to run the stock wiring. Some prefer to swap the wiring while they are in there to a bigger gauge to handle any power you want to throw at it with out frying the wire. I put new wire in when I did mine. You don't have to and I believe you should be fine with the stock wiring.

justin13703

Reaction score
So if I install aftermarket speakers I need to replace wire???

Yeah like dramad said, you don't need to unless there is a problem with it. If you have a bunch of extra wire laying around an a day with nothing to do, then go for it. But it's not necessary at all. A lot of people will say I'm wrong, but speaker signals are AC current. You can carry a huge amount of wattage through a thin wire as long as it's AC. You could run a few hundred watts through the stock wiring with no issues.

benjaminwiseman

Reaction score
Toyota and nissan suck for stereo installs, I worked in car audio for years and this 2 were the worst

Top Bottom