Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Just bled my brakes & clutch, and clutch engagement is just as you push in the pedal

Edgeman

Reaction score
I used my Motive Power Bleeder to flush the brake/clutch on the X Wednesday, but I forgot I needed an extra bottle to do the clutch. When I was flushing the fluid, all four corners went smoothly, but I was just about finished with the clutch when I saw bubbles coming through the "catch" bottle. Dang, I had to buy more brake fluid and bleed the entire system again.

All four brakes bled normally, with zero bubbles coming through the system, but I saw bubbles coming out when I bled the slave. I let the fluid continue out for a couple minutes before closing the bleeder screw and putting on the cap.

Just went for a test drive, and the clutch engagement is just as you push in the pedal. I thought it was somewhere around the middle of the clutch before. The actual clutch engagement seems "normal" (I don't have to pump the clutch to build up pressure or anything whacky like that), but it seems to engage right as I'm pushing in the clutch pedal.

Thoughts? Do I still have air in the clutch line? If so, how do I bleed it out? If not, is there an adjustment I can make to move the clutch release to the middle of the clutch pedal throw?

Thanks!

autobodyX

Reaction score
I used my Motive Power Bleeder to flush the brake/clutch on the X Wednesday, but I forgot I needed an extra bottle to do the clutch. When I was flushing the fluid, all four corners went smoothly, but I was just about finished with the clutch when I saw bubbles coming through the "catch" bottle. Dang, I had to buy more brake fluid and bleed the entire system again.

All four brakes bled normally, with zero bubbles coming through the system, but I saw bubbles coming out when I bled the slave. I let the fluid continue out for a couple minutes before closing the bleeder screw and putting on the cap.

Just went for a test drive, and the clutch engagement is just as you push in the pedal. I thought it was somewhere around the middle of the clutch before. The actual clutch engagement seems "normal" (I don't have to pump the clutch to build up pressure or anything whacky like that), but it seems to engage right as I'm pushing in the clutch pedal.

Thoughts? Do I still have air in the clutch line? If so, how do I bleed it out? If not, is there an adjustment I can make to move the clutch release to the middle of the clutch pedal throw?

Thanks!
Yes there is a adjustment on the clutch pedal. Loosen the nut on the rod I think it’s a 12 mm hold the pivot point with another wrench I think it’s a 17mm it might be a 15. Push the pedal down just a little to take the pressure off and spin the rod with your fingers in the direction to shorten the rod. That will give you some free play in the pedal. You will have to spin the lock nut down the rod some to leave room for the adjustment.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Yes there is a adjustment on the clutch pedal. Loosen the nut on the rod I think it’s a 12 mm hold the pivot point with another wrench I think it’s a 17mm it might be a 15. Push the pedal down just a little to take the pressure off and spin the rod with your fingers in the direction to shorten the rod. That will give you some free play in the pedal. You will have to spin the lock nut down the rod some to leave room for the adjustment.

Thanks! I'm going to try one more attempt to bleed the system, since clutch engagement was higher before. I'll hook up the Motive bottle again, crack the bleeder screw, then try pressing down on the clutch four or five times to see if that will blow any remaining air out of the system.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Just finished bleeding the clutch, along with manipulating the clutch pedal four or five times before closing the bleed screw. That seems to work. My clutch engagement point is back to normal, meaning it moved a couple inches.

Hopefully I'll remember to put both (large and small) bottles of brake fluid into the Motive bottle the next time I flush the brake & clutch fluid on the X. The large bottle alone will do the brake system in any car, but the second, smaller bottle is required to ensure I have enough to it and the clutch. I think I got away only using the large bottle the last time I did this procedure, but it was close. Heck, I almost finished this one...just as the bubbles were coming through the system...lol

Lesson learned!

Top Bottom