Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help with width

Toyotafourwheeln

Reaction score
Hi guys, been out of the lowered scene for at least 20 years (4wd toyotas), so a bit rusty and need some help plz..

Just bought my son a used 2009 blue xrunner and from what i can tell, it has at least a 3" drop to it. He is wanting new wheels and tires and I know so many variables come into play..

He currently has the stock ones and they rub when turning. So i have been looking at an 18x8 with +42 offset to tuck it in further. But the stock wheel is what, 9" or 9.5"? Would i need to get a less tirewidth such as a 195 or 215 since the wheel will only be 8"? Stock is what, 225 or something?

Sorry for long post, but thanks for the help..

Ohh, and is the exhaust loud on these trucks or does he possibly have an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks for the info

Jeremy

Toyotafourwheeln

Reaction score
Yeah 255, i work 3rds so i was a lil brain dead..lol

But on the site wheel-size.com it tells me the wheel is 9.5" wide with a +32 offset. Is this correct or that site wrong? I ask because if it is a 9.5" wheel, then i should bump down to like a 215/40 or 45 for an 8" wide wheel correct?

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
I think it's lower then 3" because stock tires don't rub with that drop. I think its DJM and XII drop's together. Which puts it at 4.75" in the front

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
And the stock rims are 8" width...Check out this thread.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12357

And like *IrunniT* said, you've got more than the DJM 3" drop up front. It appears to be a combination of the DJM control arm drop (3") and the XII Performance Coil drop (1.75"). gearhead899 would be a good resource to PM. He's running that drop and has aftermarket rims.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the X-Runner and welcome to the Underground! :top:

Check this thread for stock wheels/tires:
http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3759

Where exactly are you rubbing?

Most likely an aftermarket exhaust system. Stock is louder then an regular Tacoma, but not that loud.

Post some pics so the gurus here can help you out with specifics.

justin13703

Reaction score
Before you put super skinny tires on that and sink them in more, I'd possibly look at options for lifting it back up a little. Sitting 2 inches higher will look a lot better than skinny sunken in wheels. And it will be a lot more drivable lifted up a little anyway.

But yes, find out exactly what it is rubbing on. You may just need to trim a small section of the wheel well.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Justin. I'd put the stock coils back in (it'll still be 3" lower in the front than stock) or talk to XII Performance and see if they have any higher spring rate stock height coils. It's one thing to ride that low if it's a weekender or someone with years of driving experience, it's another on a daily with a novice.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Agreed, bring it up a bit. If your son is relatively young/inexperienced, it's only a matter of time before that front spoiler gets torn off on a parking block/curb...

Here is the xii performance lowering kit: http://xiiperformance.com/street-drop-kit-tacoma-2wd-05-2015/

That truck probably has the xii springs from the link above PLUS the DJM lowing control arms like this:
https://djmsuspension.com/product/djm2816-33/

If it were me, I'd swap back in the stock control arms and just go with the xii springs in front. Then a 2" block in the back, and you wont have to be constantly repairing the body kit when he knocks it off.

Toyotafourwheeln

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the info and pointing me in the right direction..here are some pics of his front set up. It looks like it only rubs on the right side and that's from the front inner fenderwell.

MiamiChillin

Reaction score
Man that rust is pretty bad. They just closed the campaign for frames for our trucks.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Holy tie rod angle. Bet the bump steer is terrible on that thing.

Toyotafourwheeln

Reaction score
Yeah its a little rough..LOL...Once the weather broke here in OH I was going to take it all apart, sandblast it all and recoat everything. I just didnt know if that was an aftermarket A-arm drop kit like that DJM or if the previous owner just cut coils?

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
You can replace the coils to stock height it will bring it up about 1.5 inches. The DJM powder coating doesn't hold up too good.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah its a little rough..LOL...Once the weather broke here in OH I was going to take it all apart, sandblast it all and recoat everything. I just didnt know if that was an aftermarket A-arm drop kit like that DJM or if the previous owner just cut coils?

To reiterate, the coils are part a drop kit from XII Performance....the coils alone drop the truck 1.50-1.75"

The control arms are part of the DJM drop kit. The control arms alone drop the truck 3".

If you take the drop coils out and replace with stock height coils it'll still be lowered and it'll probably drive a lot nicer.

Toyotafourwheeln

Reaction score
Ok thank you guys for the advice.. where could i possibly find stock coils for the truck?

After looking at the truck closely, the front is lower than the rear and the rear has 3" blocks. So you guys are right that it probably has the a-arm kit and the coils..

Thanks again

Jeremy

Top Bottom