Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New android DVD nav setup

zr2ee

Reaction score
Just test fit my new 7" dell streak tablet into my double Din dash kit and it fits like a dream. :blurock: need to fab up a dock for it still and make some sliders for the faceplate so i can pull it out and remove the tablet when i want.

still trying to decide if i should set up a amplifier for it or just use my bluetooth parrot kit which works pretty good so far but i also need to use bluetooth to connect to my OBDII sensors and handsfree with my phone.

*Update* just got in the home dock and changed around my home screen, amazing how well everything is fitting together. thought i would update with some pictures. having some issues getting the device rooted and rommed so i can get rid of all the crapware and setup tethering with my phone. hopefully all will be resolved soon

*Update* dock build #1 http://youtu.be/V4gEGH25IwQ

*Update Video* dock build #2 http://youtu.be/LPHkqoiSASk

*Update 8/4/11* New Video of some amplifier idea's i'm throwing around: http://youtu.be/DlNUy8mpiWs

*Update 9/9/11* finalized product video (for the most part) http://youtu.be/iyWlgM3f0-o

IMG_20110514_212718.jpg

IMG_20110514_212957.jpg

IMG_20110514_213009.jpg

IMG_20110520_195123.jpg

IMG_20110520_195440.jpg

IMG_20110520_195455.jpg

Last edited:

Scarface

Reaction score
Now that goes hard and puts the ipad mod a bit lower on my wish list.

RMCO

Reaction score
I like your style... :top: I'm waiting for the day when HU's will natively support a Zune the way everything is balls deep into iPods.

zr2ee

Reaction score
ya i was looking around at double din decks but they all wanted way too much for way too little...so in true american style i decided to make my own. so for a $30 dash kit (wiring harness included) and a $300 tablet i'd say it pretty much smokes the functionality of any deck out there.

having a little bit of trouble getting it to tether to my phone but there's some software workarounds out there i still have to try. otherwise it's $30+ a month for 4G data plan:ahhhhh:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
check out xda-developers.com for rooting/tething purposes...I'm a mod there and can help you out for a variety of ANDROID platforms...

that's a job well done...:top: I am planning on doing this exact same mod but using the MOTO XOOM instead...that way my son can watch his movies when on road trips and use the tablet as a HU for Google Navigation...its awesome...can't wait to upgrade my tablet to 4G...

btw whenever your board download the free version of Drift Mania from the Android market as well as Drag Racing...pretty fun games to kill tons of time with...lol

zr2ee

Reaction score
check out xda-developers.com for rooting/tething purposes...I'm a mod there and can help you out for a variety of ANDROID platforms...

that's a job well done...:top: I am planning on doing this exact same mod but using the MOTO XOOM instead...that way my son can watch his movies when on road trips and use the tablet as a HU for Google Navigation...its awesome...can't wait to upgrade my tablet to 4G...

btw whenever your board download the free version of Drift Mania from the Android market as well as Drag Racing...pretty fun games to kill tons of time with...lol

Thanks man, i'm actually a member of xda and mp3car.com as well, this will be my 3rd android device and my 3rd rooted/romed device, i still got alot of learn about the platform. I've seen there's workarounds for the adhoc networking issues but just haven't gotten around to it yet, and command line programming still gives me the butterflies a bit so i might just take you up on the help offer for that. Xoom would be pretty awesome too, i'm not great at fabricating/fiberglassing though so i try to keep it rather simple. i'll check out those games tonight, i'm assuming you know about the Torque app?..it's one of my favorites

zr2ee

Reaction score
i got my streak install pretty much complete this last weekend, i'll be sure and post some photo's after i get off work tonight. still a couple of bugs to work out

1. there is some play in the docking connection that causes the tablet to lean back slightly in the dash, for now i just used some electrical tape to hold it flush against the face plate, later i'll most likely fill in the gap with another layer of fiberglass. i had to make the dock body low cut in order to be able to remove the unit.
  2. i'm having some lockups and crashes after engine crank or shut off. i've tapped off my 12v power for my stereo connection with a cigarette lighter transformer so i power on and off with my key. i've partially isolated the issue to a bluetooth setting in pandora that disagreed with the torque application causing the tablet to reboot and lockup during the boot. However i'm still getting some android process force closes and shutdowns after powering on or off the external power which i'm assuming could either be related to electrical noise or some macro's i've setup to change the radios status and screen timeout with the external power trigger since it bounces between on and off between the accessory and ignition switch.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you doing for the interface with speakers?

zr2ee

Reaction score
This is bad ass I wish I could do it

who says you can't? it's actually alot easier than it looks, you basically just have to get dirty and do it. find a cheap dremel, and a fiberglass repair kit at an auto parts store and play around with it. i pretty much wrapped my tablet in tin foil, layed the fiberglass over it and then cut it with the dremel and used some JB weld and more fiberglass to keep it in place.

What are you doing for the interface with speakers?

right now i am routing all sound through my Parrot MK6100 bluetooth amplifier, in the future i plan to add a dedicated 4 channel amp. the docking station has a line out as well as a HDMI port.

zr2ee

Reaction score
i posted a new video at the top of the thread of some amp idea's im throwing around

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, waiting for the final product:blurock:

BTW I just watched your LED vid. There is a member that changed the HVAC color. he did a bit of a writeup on here. I have some ideas on a way im gonna do it....eventually lol.

and just for refrence if your curious
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=38881

Last edited:

zr2ee

Reaction score
that's awesome thanks man, the last time i saw someone attempt to change the hvac colors it didnt turn out so well. that's a good trick. i think i'm just going to wire up the sony unit i have on hand since i already spliced into the power pack harness and the sony has a rear aux imput....and it's free. hopefully have it together tonight.

Cool, waiting for the final product:blurock:

BTW I just watched your LED vid. There is a member that changed the HVAC color. he did a bit of a writeup on here. I have some ideas on a way im gonna do it....eventually lol.

and just for refrence if your curious
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=38881

myxruns

Reaction score
SO EFFIN SMART!!! I'm just trying to think of the negatives to this... cant really think of any at the moment... I GUESS BECAUSE ITS SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!

zr2ee

Reaction score
BLAM! final product video update on the top post, sorry about the bad video, it was night and i was just too excited to wait :biggrin:. also some other new goodies, leather arm rests, subwoofer, dynamat door panels

mh3kgt

Reaction score
Tablet idea is pretty awesome. I was thinking of doing something similar

Top Bottom