Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Radio help!!!!

Which radio think would be better

• Total voters

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new Headunit and been thinking about the Pioneer.

1. Avic- X940BT DVD receiver with built-in Navigation
AVIC-X940BT_large.jpg

2. Avic- P4400BH DVD receiver + add on Navigation Avic- U220
AVH-P4400BH_large.jpg

AVIC-U220_large.jpg

Gadget

Reaction score
I put Pioneer Navi units in all my Toyotas except the 2010 4Runner. They work great.

I would get one with a knob on it. I hate using buttons for volume control.

What is that thing in the lower picture?

G

adamewwy

Reaction score
get the first one for sure. Like G said the knob for the volume control is way easier to use and it has the built in navi so you won't have to mess with the add-on unit. IMO

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I put Pioneer Navi units in all my Toyotas except the 2010 4Runner. They work great.

I would get one with a knob on it. I hate using buttons for volume control.

What is that thing in the lower picture?

G
That the add on Nav unit they use now instead of the bulky under the seat units of the past.

dramad1

Reaction score
Have you checked out the avh8400. It's nav upgradable and has detachable face feature. I have one and love it. I use the advanced app mode and stream navi thru my iPhone. I just plug it in to my phone then use the pioneer app and scroll through the HU using the mode button till it pics it up. I can also stream net flicks and other apps. It's around the same price as the 4400 if you look around. I just like it because of the detachable face. The first one is also a good choice from what I have read and heard from friends and a few members here.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Id go with the second one. Ive got the 4300 and the things pretty sweet, cant go wrong with a 7" screen either.

justin13703

Reaction score
The 940 is a kick ass radio. If you want navigation, get that one. Don't get a radio and add the nav unit to it, it usually turn out to be more money and usually isn't as well integrated into the system. I have an x920 and I love it. I've also installed a bunch of x940s and have never heard a complaint about them. If you want the bigger display and navigation, get the pioneer z130.

Gadget

Reaction score
My Navi units had the GPS built in. There were add on modules for XM and bluetooth.

I stopped using the phone/bluetooth interface and just run my bluetooth headset all the time. Works better anyway. The speaker phone things just sucks.

G

gunner76137

Reaction score
I have the dvd unit and run my Iphone though for Ipod,navi
(map Quest) or pandora internet radio

lovemym

Reaction score
Ive had the AVIC-p3300bt in my Spyder for a couple years now, I use Motion X for the nav on my iphone, and it works flawlessly. In my Spyder I used the rear screen output and got the JDM Navpod and put an additional screen in it, so now I can have Nav where it would be if we had it in the US MR2's plus I have full independent control of my head unit. I love Motion X I use it every day for traffic, I just keep the traffic map on my NAV display so I can see whats going on before I get there. Im going to do something similar in the X just not sure how yet.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Save your money on the first deck. Don't buy it for the Navi. You're paying extra for it, and basically you can use the advanced app mode for Navi.

I agree with Gadget. A knob is much better, but the buttons aren't that bad. The Navi add on is a rip off. Just get the newer decks with the advanced app mode on it. You'll save a ton on it and you'll be happy with it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Its all in how much you wanna spend. My opinion, the Nav is far from a ripoff. I think having to plug your phone in when you wanna use nav is a huge pita. And not everyone has an Iphone. I like everything to be integrated, and not rely on something else to be connected to work. Also, the gps antenna on the radios with nav picks up a signal just about anywhere, where as your phone can go into dead spots and then youre left driving around with no nav till your phone gets a good enough signal again. Its happened to me many times and its frustrating as hell. Its all about how much you wanna pay, but the integrted nav is worth every penny. Also most of those radios can be cracked to get software/map updates for free. I just did it to mine the other day.

lovemym

Reaction score
I use my phone for music anyway, and now they work with Android and Black Berry I think. You dont have to worry about the phone loosing signal, with Motion X it saves the whole trip to your phone, and uses the accelerometer in the phone to keep up with location until you get signal again. The only way you would loose GPS signal is if you are in a tunnel or something anyway I think. Mine tells me if I have lost satelite service and the only time its done it was while I was in a tunnel. Im not trying to persuade you, just want to make sure you have all the facts.

macg33k

Reaction score
I just put the P4400BH in mine a few months ago. Deck is great and I use MotionX GPS for my navigation. A GREAT set up and VERY affordable.

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah I'll agree any of those radios are nice and the motionx gps program is pretty good, if navigation is what you want and you have the extra money, a radio like the 940 would be the best for you. It always happens with me, that anytime I want my phone to do something is when it or AT&T starts acting up and it's useless. I know that every time I get in my truck my gps is there, regardless of what kinda mood my phone is in. Also, most people never keep the same phone forever so if you wanna keep the motionx working you have to make sure you have a phone that can be connected to the radio. Not dogging on anyone's setups lol, all those radios are nice choices, but one with integrated nav is just simpler and more refined.

Minnesota X

Reaction score
4400 looks much better in my opinion. I hate the clutter of the knobs and extra buttons.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Might wanna check on Pioneers site again. They just released a more affordable version of their AVH-P8400bh. Basically the same thing, but it doesn't have the removable face. Just FYI, if you have an iPhone 5, you won't be able to use any of the video functions. You can use the connector apple sells, but that will only give you meta data and audio. As far as video, you're out of luck. If you have a 4s or below, you're good!

roy365

Reaction score
I like my x940bt. Yes there are ways around GPS/NAV (cell phones) but you have to mess with all that when you want it. Or.....you can install one that brings it up with the push of a button.

Top Bottom