Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

OEM NAV/DVD Unit

roy365

Reaction score
I like to browse Amazon/Ebay, etc in my spare time. I am in the market for a NAV/GPS head unit soon for the X/R and ran across this one. It has all the features I want, but just don't know about the brand, and supplier.

Would this install be easier (all OEM connections) than an aftermarket unit installed?

Opinions discussed please. Will it be this :top: or this :thumbdown: comparatively?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Replacement-Fitment-Navigation-Multimedia/dp/B0071NRWI2/ref=sr_1_17?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1350327530&sr=1-17&keywords=toyota+tacoma+cd[/ame]

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...a-gps-dash-touch-screen-navigation-radio.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...ale-650-oe-fit-look-plug-play-great-deal.html

http://ottonavi.com/product/toyota/tacoma/toyota-tacoma-05-11-multimedia-navigation-system

Last edited:

hiflyer

Reaction score
for that $$$ get an iPad and a windshield mount!

Far far better!

roy365

Reaction score
Well I ordered one yesterday for chits and giggles. I will be using the Tacoma World writeup for my guidance. The SAT radio wasn't a big deal to me, even though i saw he had those on his website. I already have a Sirius/XM Lynx unit I toggle between vehicles. So as long as this has bluetooth capabilities, or an aux input I am good. I've done most of the mods to all my vehicles, but I've always let a shop do my stereo installs. I guess I will try to tackle this one though.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Does this unit use the factory harness? Or would you still need a harness adapter?

If it uses the factory harness its just plug and play.

Radio's are easy to install once you grasp the concept, tons of info online to guide you in the right direction :top:

roy365

Reaction score
It uses OEM harnesses from what I gather. I watched a few vids already on how to remove our OEM units. Shouldnt be too bad as long as the supplied mounting bracket lines up right.

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah you can get our radios out in t-minus 30 seconds.

Let us know how you like it. For that price I would hope its pretty nice, but honestly those off brand type radios usually have cheap touch screens and sloooow interfaces, most are so bad that just changing the radio station takes the whole drive. If you hook that thing up and notice it lagging at all, or the touch screen being inaccurate, return that thing, buy an X940BT, and call it a day.

Also, what does it use for navigation? Is it updateable? It would suck to pay 700 dollars for a nav radio that cant be updated with new maps.

roy365

Reaction score

Let us know how you like it. For that price I would hope its pretty nice, but honestly those off brand type radios usually have cheap touch screens and sloooow interfaces, most are so bad that just changing the radio station takes the whole drive. If you hook that thing up and notice it lagging at all, or the touch screen being inaccurate, return that thing, buy an X940BT, and call it a day.

Also, what does it use for navigation? Is it updateable? It would suck to pay 700 dollars for a nav radio that cant be updated with new maps.

I just sold my Trailblazer SS with the same unit in it you have. X920bt. I loved it, just didnt have time to yank everything out. Wished I would have now. I was going to buy the X940bt like you mentioned actually, but I liked the OEM hookup, supplied dash kit & harnesses, and the OEM look of this one. From the reviews & videos I have watched the transition isn't too bad. However there is some lag to start up the applications. But honestly it was a PITA to go to the nav function and back to music on the x920bt too. :dontknow:

I agree if I get it and the applications dont please me, or run slow it's going to be returned and the X940bt will be purchased.

I believe it runs Windows CE 6.0 for the navigation software. It can be updated by the micro sd card just like the x920bt if necessary by contacting them (ottonavi), or on the gps forum/website gpsunderground.com.

justin13703

Reaction score
I just sold my Trailblazer SS with the same unit in it you have. X920bt. I loved it, just didnt have time to yank everything out. Wished I would have now. I was going to buy the X940bt like you mentioned actually, but I liked the OEM hookup, supplied dash kit & harnesses, and the OEM look of this one. From the reviews & videos I have watched the transition isn't too bad. However there is some lag to start up the applications. But honestly it was a PITA to go to the nav function and back to music on the x920bt too. :dontknow:

I agree if I get it and the applications dont please me, or run slow it's going to be returned and the X940bt will be purchased.

I believe it runs Windows CE 6.0 for the navigation software. It can be updated by the micro sd card just like the x920bt if necessary by contacting them (ottonavi), or on the gps forum/website gpsunderground.com.
Oh ok, I have the X920BT in my truck, all I have to do to go back and forth from nav to music is hit mode and its there, as far as I know it shouldn't have been different on yours?

roy365

Reaction score
Oh ok, I have the X920BT in my truck, all I have to do to go back and forth from nav to music is hit mode and its there, as far as I know it shouldn't have been different on yours?

Well I had that stupid warning (or 2) that came on when I switched. One was a parking brake lead, and one was the safety disclaimer I think. :hmmmm2: The shop prolly didnt wire it up right to begin with. Once I switched to the other it wouldnt do it again until i powered the unit off. So basically I'm using that to make the lag on this one if it's present to be halfway acceptable. :rofl: Remember I got this for the pure ease of installation, but I may have to buck up and go another route if it's a POS. I am one to experiment with stuff. :stupid:

frechem

Reaction score

If you do some research you can find answers to all of your questions.

I just placed an order for one after reading the posted reviews. Looks like it's well worth the money.

justin13703

Reaction score
Well I had that stupid warning (or 2) that came on when I switched. One was a parking brake lead, and one was the safety disclaimer I think. :hmmmm2: The shop prolly didnt wire it up right to begin with. Once I switched to the other it wouldnt do it again until i powered the unit off. So basically I'm using that to make the lag on this one if it's present to be halfway acceptable. :rofl: Remember I got this for the pure ease of installation, but I may have to buck up and go another route if it's a POS. I am one to experiment with stuff. :stupid:
Oh, yeah they probably didnt wire it right, because mine doesnt do that. Oh well. The biggest things that would make me nervous about that radio is the makers of the internals like the bluetooth chip, and stuff like the voltage levels of the pre outs. I would be concerned about sound quality, because one of those reviews said that it doesnt have an equalizer.

roy365

Reaction score

I just placed an order for one after reading the posted reviews. Looks like it's well worth the money.

:top: Mine will be at the house on Monday!

If you are an audiophile, or WANT the latest tech this probably isn't for you. For my NEEDS it covers them well however.

justin13703

Reaction score

I actually did plenty of research and that's why I brought up the laggyness, since that seems to be the biggest complaint with them.

:top: Mine will be at the house on Monday!

If you are an audiophile, or WANT the latest tech this probably isn't for you. For my NEEDS it covers them well however.

Good deal, hopefully it works out well for you. Give us a review once you get it in if you can. A video would be awesome too.

Last edited:

roy365

Reaction score
Well after reading every single forum thread, rating, and comment on these units I refused the package. The complaints arent just because the owner doesnt like the unit, but about how it functions, slow, etc. It was just a huge red flag for me for that kind of money. I got a X940BT, steering wheel interface controller, and mounting bracket for about the same money.

Sorry guys if I mislead anyone, I just had to make that decision for that kind of money.

Top Bottom