Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

Super Werty

Reaction score
**Admin EDIT**
Torspd made a good point about starting a new thread regarding our PCV system and different oil catch can setups.

**End Edit**

Who all is running two catch cans? I've only seen oil coming through the driver side.

Werty Edit:

I added some pics after my initial install. Bracket is aluminum... home made, will be painted black soon. Blue hoses are temporary, but give you a good idea of where you should route them. This is a Forge Motorsports Carbon Fiber Catch Can. approx $90

where I bought it... http://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-20779-forge-motorsport-carbon-fiber-oil-catch-can.aspx

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

EDIT #2

Finished this finally.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
I say run 3! right left and trans. I think that'd be awesome!

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
With our setups I really get almost no oil out of that side (not enough to accumulate just enough to slightly dirty up the throttle body every 5K or so).

However driver side I catch a pretty decent amount of oil over the course of 3,000 miles from the PCV system doing its thing.

The passenger side (at least for us TRD guys) is primarily just a fresh air inlet and really doesn't let too much out; unless something is wrong...

ntinhri

Reaction score
I canned both sides and found that only the one accumulated oil which lead me to the conclusion that the majority comes out on the PCV side.

If you crack a ring land usually a lot of oil ends up on that side.

Ask Jason (XrunnIT).

what is a ring land? are you saying ring, but calling it ring land or are you talking about the groove in which the ring sits?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The PCV system travels through to the other side, they arent seperate.

This is why an air leak after the MAF on the passenger side (if you were to take off the hose but not disconnect the PCV side) will throw off everything; unmetered air will re-enter on the PCV side. It is also why that tube is connected behind a filter (the primary intake filter).

Fresh air gets drawn in, removes gases and oil vapor, and comes out on the PCV side.

Until there is too much blowby that is...

Both can be 2 way streets but the majority of the oil under normal conditions exits on the PCV side via that check valve.

what is a ring land? are you saying ring, but calling it ring land or are you talking about the groove in which the ring sits?

3uz%20015.jpg

Broken/Cracked ring land here steve - normally caused by detonation & heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, we should seriously start an Oil Catch Can FAQ/Debate thread. lol. And leave Coupe's thread alone.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Torspd made a good point about starting a new thread regarding our PCV system and different oil catch can setups.

I will move the other posts to this thread, but lets continue discussion.

Murderface

Reaction score
One of our venders TTC Performence sells a 2" dia X 7" tall filtered catch can and a 3" Dia X 7" tall one with no baffle or filter.

They look killer:top:

I believe they're on sale too

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So being a picture person, this pic sums up out our PCV system works very well (aside from the fact its missing a few cylinders :laugh:).

You can see that if you have oil slipping past the rings, then you will get blow-by coming out the breather hose.

By installing a catch can between the PCV check valve and the intake you will be catching the normal oil that is being vented out. If you are catching a lot of oil on the fresh air breather, then you might have something wrong.

stock_pcv.jpg

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
So being a picture person, this pic sums up out our PCV system works very well (aside from the fact its missing a few cylinders :laugh:).

You can see that if you have oil slipping past the rings, then you will get blow-by coming out the breather hose.

stock_pcv.jpg

Yes, this is correct and what I was describing above; very good find!

Each manufacturer has their own way of doing things, but this is how ours works.

1 can is good enough to intercept all that garbage and stop a lot of it from re-entering and gumming up our blowers.

Also its good to point out that because the MAF sensor is BEFORE the valve cover tube, it is METERED & FILTERED AIR entering the engine and MUST be accounted for as such.

This picture doesnt reflect a MAF, but just picture it after the filter.

DC29

Reaction score
One of our venders TTC Performence sells a 2" dia X 7" tall filtered catch can and a 3" Dia X 7" tall one with no baffle or filter.

They look killer:top:

I believe they're on sale too

i cant find it on there site anywhere..

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
If you buy a can with out a baffle, make one - they make cans work much better allowing area for vaporized oil to condense on.

The very fine stainless filter media is the best at doing this.

DC29

Reaction score
If you buy a can with out a baffle, make one - they make cans work much better allowing area for vaporized oil to condense on.

The very fine stainless filter media is the best at doing this.

you guys sell any catch cans?

Super Werty

Reaction score
good info in here, glad I started this thread:laugh:

Torpsd, my passenger side hose has always been bone dry, I have checked it several times since I owned the truck and it's really never let anything in but air. Even after 66K miles my throttle body is clean as a whistle

But take apart the blower and I know 100% sure that the driver side is sucking in oil. It's all over the IC. Im going to do just one can:top:

I wonder why your truck is needing both sides? Too much boost?:hmmmm2::rockon:

Question:

Should the catch can be located above or below the Cam cover, does it matter? And does it matter how long the hoses are?

Coupe

Reaction score
I vote below the cam cover.

As the line from the PCV goes downward, gravity helps pull the oil vapor towards the can. By the same token, the return line going back to the intake has gravity to help keep the oil in the can.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Correction made to diagram;
We don't have PCV vent from the crank case, only from the 2 valve covers.
Putting the check valve where it belong.

PCV is alway behind the MAF because its already been "metered" the first time it enter the combustion chamber. You're just recycling the fuel vapor that got pass the piston rings. Since the vapor made their way into the crank case, some of the vapor will get mix with the oil thats splashing around down there.

This is where the catch can comes in. It suppose to separate the fuel vapor from oil. Thats the idea behind baffle in the catch can. It act as a filter, to help separate the two more effectively.

And the check valve, it prevent pressurize air from entering the crank case.

stock_pcv13.jpg

[SIZE=+2] BTW, MS Paint FTMFW!!![/SIZE]

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Correction made to diagram;
We don't have PCV vent from the crank case, only from the 2 valve covers.
Putting the check valve where it belong.

PCV is alway behind the MAF because its already been "metered" the first time it enter the combustion chamber. You're just recycling the fuel vapor that got pass the piston rings. Since the vapor made their way into the crank case, some of the vapor will get mix with the oil thats splashing around down there.

This is where the catch can comes in. It suppose to separate the fuel vapor from oil. Thats the idea behind baffle in the catch can. It act as a filter, to help separate the two more effectively.

And the check valve, it prevent pressurize air from entering the crank case.

stock_pcv13.jpg

[SIZE=+2] BTW, MS Paint FTMFW!!![/SIZE]

In a full blown race car that JUST runs at WOT all the time them yes, both vents out.

BUT In a street vehicle with a Positive PCV system (the one that our trucks use) that sees most driving under part throttle with some spirited driving however the majority of the activity is fresh air drawn in and crap coming out of the PCV end.

Location is all about where you can fit it best really, the lines will accumulate a lot of oil on the inside of them no matter what and the rest of the vaporized oil will get trapped by the cans baffling.

Gravity will help over a long time draw more hose collected oil in as it accumulates.

When damage occurs the crankcase gets pressurized and by nature extreme excess oil is dumped into the intake portion (as the passenger side is the path of least resistance).

ALSO the one valve cover DOES NOT have a PCV valve, there is just one located on the driver side.

The passenger side is simply a windage tray with a hose nipple.

The link between the two covers is through the engine, there is no external hose.

Different loads dictate the vac within the PCV system and how it flows.

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
I vote below the cam cover.

As the line from the PCV goes downward, gravity helps pull the oil vapor towards the can. By the same token, the return line going back to the intake has gravity to help keep the oil in the can.

Well that would work in the same way if its above. Because the oil vapors would have to go uphill into the can, and might drop back into the covers.

I guess it depends on how much oil vapor is really in there.

Are the people who have the TRD blowers and a can seeing the IC being much cleaner or somewhat?

Top Bottom