Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

performance brakes unlimited

Rickysnickers

Reaction score
Question, why change the vacuum booster? The master cylinder is what controls the feel of the pedal, soft or firm. At least that's my understanding.

Ziggy297

Reaction score
Question, why change the vacuum booster? The master cylinder is what controls the feel of the pedal, soft or firm. At least that's my understanding.

You use the Tundra master cylinder as well which is a bit larger than the Tacomas.

Bizarroterl

Reaction score
What about the clutch reservoir? Isn't that attached to the master cylinder on the xrunner?

Ziggy297

Reaction score
What about the clutch reservoir? Isn't that attached to the master cylinder on the xrunner?

Yes it is, you need a separate reservoir when you do the mod. I bought the Ring Brothers reservoir but there are cheaper options. I haven't installed any of it yet so I can't tell you how much better it is or isn't. The reason I am going this route is because I am installing 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rear calipers. I have rear disc now with TRD fronts and the Tacoma system is sufficient but it could be better.

Attachments

• IMG_3017.PNG
    IMG_3017.PNG
    426.1 KB · Views: 238

Rickysnickers

Reaction score
Ziggy, I guess I still do not understand. I'm not trying to start any flame wars or arguments. With that said, I still do not get why you need to change out the vacuum booster. What size is the bore on the Tundra master cylinder, 13/16", 1", etc? I saw it mentioned somewhere else, and I don't remember where, but do you know what size the bore is on the Tacoma master cylinder? If the caliper swap using the four piston Tacoma brakes makes the pedal softer on our X's, then it seems, I would think, a master cylinder with a smaller bore size would take away the soft feel. I would also think the vacuum booster has nothing to do with that part of the equation.

Ziggy297

Reaction score
Ziggy, I guess I still do not understand. I'm not trying to start any flame wars or arguments. With that said, I still do not get why you need to change out the vacuum booster. What size is the bore on the Tundra master cylinder, 13/16", 1", etc? I saw it mentioned somewhere else, and I don't remember where, but do you know what size the bore is on the Tacoma master cylinder? If the caliper swap using the four piston Tacoma brakes makes the pedal softer on our X's, then it seems, I would think, a master cylinder with a smaller bore size would take away the soft feel. I would also think the vacuum booster has nothing to do with that part of the equation.

No worries I'm not taking it as a flame war/argument at all bud. The Tacoma MC is 13/16" and the Tundra is 15/16". The difference in the booster is the Tacoma is a single diaphragm and the Tundra is Dual diaphragm. I read on other forums some folks used a GM MC but the rod had to be cut and machined. I was looking to move a little more fluid without having to run a proportioning valve and would work with the ABS. This swap for me seemed like the best option for a bolt on solution. Now I honestly don't know how much better it will work but the guy that sells the kit is running almost the same set up I am going to install. I say almost because I don't know what piston size he has in his calipers. mine are suppose to work with the stock Tacoma set up using the calculator on Stoptech's site. To me it was worth spending $200 total to see if the Tundra set up will work better. I actually ended up with 2 systems out of 2010 Tundras. One I got for $100 the other my friend who is building a rock crawler had for his project but decided to go a different route and gave me his for free. I'm giving one to another member on this forum to try out, figured I'd pass on the savings because I can't use 2 of them lol! It will be a bit before I install everything, I have 2 items ahead of the brakes I want to get done 1st.

Last edited:

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Another thing to notice is the bolt pattern on the master cylinder going into the booster is different on the tundra vs the Tacoma. So to get it all to work the way you want it to you have to swap them both.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Yea for some reason the Tacoma master bolt pattern is the opposite of the tundra booster

Top Bottom