Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pioneer app radio

foxracinfor20

Reaction score
any one have the pioneer app radio i bought one but have not installed it yet. if any one has one what do you think of it. my last truck i had the avic-d3 and i hated the nav but loved sirius radio but cant wait to use pandora radio in the truck

justin13703

Reaction score
I've hooked one up at work to play with it and see what it's like. It's ok for basic stuff. You pretty much have to have your phone or iPod plugged into it at all times to do anything than listen to fm radio. The screen resolution isn't great, and it seemed kinda laggy. You should hook it up and see if you like it or not.

foxracinfor20

Reaction score
well i went to get this installed at best buy on sat had an 11 am appt walked over to the mall at 1230 they called me to tell me they had the wrong dash kit so unless i could find it they could not install. So i ordered the metra double din kit off ebay with the factory harness for $50 less then best buy wanted for them hopefully get it done later this week but while i was ordering the kit i figured it be a good time to carbon fiber wrap the dash at same time so i ordered som 3m di noc vinyl to see how hard it is to do

justin13703

Reaction score
I was gonna tell you to get the scosche kit until I saw you were wrapping it. The scosche ones look a little better.

I did some more playing with this radio at work again the other day, honestly it's not a bad radio, just has a lack of some features and connections. Just remember that you cant ground out the e brake cable on pioneers, and since you're getting it done at best buy, and I happen to be an installer at best buy, the installers won't bypass it because it's illegal. It's simple to do yourself though with a relay.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Pioneers App Radio is a cool concept, but far from being where it should be. They're coming out with App Radio 2 in May I think. Hopefully it's better.

My only issue is the iPod control. It's not like their AVH series. It also lags a bit. Also, to be honest, the App Radio only shows that Apps that have TV Out functions build into it. So you could spend less on the new AVH decks with the App Mode build on them as well, and get the same function. Plus you'll get more options. But this is my personal opinion.

foxracinfor20

Reaction score
i have the relay already. I may end up installing my self , but i have never messed with the gps antenna not sure how or where to route it

justin13703

Reaction score
Pioneers App Radio is a cool concept, but far from being where it should be. They're coming out with App Radio 2 in May I think. Hopefully it's better.

My only issue is the iPod control. It's not like their AVH series. It also lags a bit. Also, to be honest, the App Radio only shows that Apps that have TV Out functions build into it. So you could spend less on the new AVH decks with the App Mode build on them as well, and get the same function. Plus you'll get more options. But this is my personal opinion.
Yeah I agree. Also when in app mode running apps or looking at pictures, the screen constantly flickers. It does this on every app radio ive tried even with different iphones.

i have the relay already. I may end up installing my self , but i have never messed with the gps antenna not sure how or where to route it
Honestly, just leave the gps antenna in the dash. Put it as high up as you can behind the radio, with no metal obstructions above it, with the top facing up. It will pick up signal just fine and you wont see it or have to run any wires :top:

Last edited:
Top Bottom