Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QA1 coilovers

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks-good to know. I'm only using lowered leaf springs. I assume they would be ok at a 2" drop then?

What springs do you plan on using? If you're using OEM 6 lug springs you will be ok? Any other lower springs will NOT work with the 703 shocks.

Now for the QA1 front coilover mounts❗
I'm guessing a few know that LCE does a lot of in house manufacturing. I contacted LCE via the phone about building these mounts. But they did NOT send me an email address to forward the specs and photos for consideration. I tried my best to convince them just to look and think about it.
If you can think of a builder or manufacturer please PM me their info

Sorry guys I've tried,
AZ

RS2008XR

Reaction score
What springs do you plan on using? If you're using OEM 6 lug springs you will be ok? Any other lower springs will NOT work with the 703 shocks.

Now for the QA1 front coilover mounts❗
I'm guessing a few know that LCE does a lot of in house manufacturing. I contacted LCE via the phone about building these mounts. But they did NOT send me an email address to forward the specs and photos for consideration. I tried my best to convince them just to look and think about it.
If you can think of a builder or manufacturer please PM me their info

Sorry guys I've tried,
AZ
Hey, no problem. I know you mean well and you're looking out for everyone. I going yo check out a local builder at the end of the week and I'll let you know.

NetherRealm

Reaction score
I am also interested in doing this as well. I'll keep tabs on your guys progress and thanks for the work you are putting in on this.

Arcenik

Reaction score
First set

IMG_2430.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2432.jpeg
IMG_2433.jpeg
IMG_2434.jpeg

Arcenik

Reaction score
Plan ahead haha

Thats a socket on the end
IMG_2440.jpeg

and the other end
IMG_2441.jpeg
IMG_2442.jpeg
IMG_2443.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg
IMG_2445.jpeg

This is a simple design, everything was planed out when drawing this up in auto cad.

Remember the use of 1" DOM tubing, a standard bolt head for a 1/2" bolt is 3/4", the standard 3/4" socket is 1" in diameter. Which is why I spec'd the use of DOM tubing.

on a side note these things are really solid, makes me almost want to keep them.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Looks great!
My question is what type of bolt and nut do you plan on using? Allen head bolt will work but what nut?
Sorry I HOPE I'm wrong but doesn't looks like someone planned ahead?... please do tell!

AZ

Thanks for providing me wrong! Seriously!
So are you going to start building and selling these?
I bet there's a lot of guys interested, plus they should work for 5 lug guys who want to do Pre-runner setup. Just adjust the collar up.

Thanks,
AZ

RS2008XR

Reaction score
Thanks for providing me wrong! Seriously!
So are you going to start building and selling these?
I bet there's a lot of guys interested, plus they should work for 5 lug guys who want to do Pre-runner setup. Just adjust the collar up.

Thanks,
AZ
I'm definately interested in getting a set if available. I didn't have any luck so far finding a shop that can make these.

RS2008XR

Reaction score
Arcenik / AZ Sun Lover,
I might be able to make some progress on the mounts. Where I work has a water jet cutter, which is down at the moment, but will be up and running sometime soon. We cut a thick textile material but it should be able to cut the plates. If it doesn't, there is a local metal shop that can do it.
I will try to source the metal and cut the plates....and I can source the 1" DOM tubing locally or from McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/89975k331). Get it welded together and see how it turns out.
I'll first need a drawing, so I'll PM you guys to see if you an share this with me.

RS2008XR

Reaction score
I'm making some progress on the mounts. Got a quote from one shop so far but I got a better shop lined up for next week. A big "thank you" to AZ Sun Lover and Arcenik for helping me with this.

Arcenik

Reaction score
Just purchased a set of Viking double adjustable socks for the rear of the X. I am not too happy with how the Qa1’s are performing. If they work out good I will probably be replacing the front Qa1’s also.

I just can’t seem to get the dampening where I want it to be. Hopefully the double will take care of this.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Just purchased a set of Viking double adjustable socks for the rear of the X. I am not too happy with how the Qa1’s are performing. If they work out good I will probably be replacing the front Qa1’s also.
I just can’t seem to get the dampening where I want it to be. Hopefully the double will take care of this.

You know the QA1's can be valved for the springs you have. QA1's are not valved for a specific spring rate!
This is why the fit such a wide range of spring rates. (not a good thing) Sorry to say unless you're a racer double adjustable shocks are over kill for a street car or truck. Please make some calls to see if you can get the shocks valved for your spring rate. This will make a huge difference! I'm only guessing you have to adjust the shocks to the stiffer range on the adjustment. Also QA1 sales the shocks you have in double adjustable shocks. Again getting the shocks valved will make a difference!

Best of luck,
AZ

Arcenik

Reaction score
You know the QA1's can be valved for the springs you have. QA1's are not valved for a specific spring rate!
This is why the fit such a wide range of spring rates. (not a good thing) Sorry to say unless you're a racer double adjustable shocks are over kill for a street car or truck. Please make some calls to see if you can get the shocks valved for your spring rate. This will make a huge difference! I'm only guessing you have to adjust the shocks to the stiffer range on the adjustment. Also QA1 sales the shocks you have in double adjustable shocks. Again getting the shocks valved will make a difference!

Best of luck,
AZ

The problem is he qa1’s Adjust both compression and rebound together. For the rear I need less compression and more rebound. The front is the same I either have to much compression dampening and it will be just right on the rebound or good compression and not enough rebound.

If or when you get them you might understand. It’s either really firm or choppy because of lack of rebound. You might be happy with the subpar adjustments on the qa1’s but I am not. Also the qa1’s in a double adjustable shock have a ridiculous price tag.

I am not going to go though the hassle of having them re-valved and not be happy, if I can adjust compression and rebound separately I don’t have to worry.

The Viking double adjustables are made for the street. For only a minimal price increase I can get the rear shocks. The front are actually the same price as the qa1’s single adjustable.

I

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Valving can fix the issue. You would just need to explain that to the shock tech.
But good luck and I won't criticize your decision! I will see about getting my shocks valved. I thought one or the other (compression or damping) would be off after taking to QA1. I'm sure getting the shocks valved won't be cheap either!

Also thanks for the heads up on too much compression and not enough rebound front & rear❗

Seriously good luck,
AZ

Arcenik

Reaction score
Valving can fix the issue. You would just need to explain that to the shock tech.
But good luck and I won't criticize your decision! I will see about getting my shocks valved. I thought one or the other (compression or damping) would be off after taking to QA1. I'm sure getting the shocks valved won't be cheap either!

Also thanks for the heads up on too much compression and not enough rebound front & rear❗

Seriously good luck,
AZ
If you have not bought yours yet I still would recommend getting double adjustables. I would hate to see you have them revalved and then they still don’t perform as expected.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
One issue with the Viking rear shocks is they Are 3/4" longer on the compression and 1.5" on extended. For 67 Camaro rear shocks.
The extended length is ok but with my rear setup the shocks will bottom out!
Short bump stops and 4x4 / 6 lug OEM rear leafs with NO blocks.
Bottoming out shocks will kill them instantly!

Arcenik

Reaction score
One issue with the Viking rear shocks is they Are 3/4" longer on the compression and 1.5" on extended. For 67 Camaro rear shocks.
The extended length is ok but with my rear setup the shocks will bottom out!
Short bump stops and 4x4 / 6 lug OEM rear leafs with NO blocks.
Bottoming out shocks will kill them instantly!
The shock I listed is comparable to the ts703.

Rear
Qa1’s Ts703
extended 19.00”
Compressed 12.38”

Viking d212-r
18.79 in. Extended, 12.04 in. Collapsed, stud,/eye,poly

I chose a slightly shorter version. They have multiple different sizes available if you know your ride height, extended and collapsed measurement.

Front
Qa1 ds502 17.0 in. Extended, 11.625 in. Collapsed, Eyelet/Eyelet,

Viking C210 17.32 in. Extended, 11.57 in. Collapsed, Eyelet/Eyelet

I am not sure where you got your measurements from.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet :)
I just typed in shocks for the rear of a 67 Camaro. That's what the TS-703's are for.
I purchased the front and rear shocks about 3 months ago but thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom