Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Re-Installing My Supercharger

iniazy

Reaction score
I took your advice gadget, and managed to get ahold of the intake flexible duct of a V6 Prado. Wasn't difficult, as there are so many Prados around here with upgraded intake systems. I used a combination of Prado parts and fortuner parts and the result is astonishing. Now it has a factory look. Check out the attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20171115_145306.jpg
    IMG_20171115_145306.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 592

iniazy

Reaction score
I recently faced a small problem with this Prado intake duct. When I push my motor to WOT, the supercharger sucks air so hard that it causes the duct to collapse at about 5000 RPM. This in turn chokes my engine and causes it to lose power suddenly.

When it first happened, I was very confused and worried, didn't know why it was doing that. Then I noticed my Prado intake duct was collapsed a bit, and I realized what happened.

So I stripped down my old Spectre internal wire:
2SVzgxr.jpg

And this is how it looked like after it was stripped:
h482EKw.jpg

Then I inserted it into the duct as in internal skeleton:
dhmTa69.jpg

Sorry about the foot coming into the picture :\
Hopefully that should prevent it from collapsing again.

Gadget

Reaction score
Yep, some of those ducts are very soft rubber and when they get hot they can get more soft and such shut. I have put the wire inside of two of my trucks. Works great. Maybe someday I will design a new duct with stiffening wire built in.

iniazy

Reaction score
IMG_20171211_222836.jpg
Unbelievable! The wire I put inside the duct got crushed with the squeezing of the supercharger suction. Looks like I'll go back to the Spectre flexible duct.

FinnJ

Reaction score
Too much vacuum, I’d change the filter first.

Edit: that’s before the filter box, so you have something very restrictive in your snorkel.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
What do you have on the end of the duct where it goes into the fender? The FJs have that particle separator and those are horribly restrictive. You will loose at least 20 HP with that blocking up the intake and will cause the duct to suck real easy.

iniazy

Reaction score

Edit: that’s before the filter box, so you have something very restrictive in your snorkel.

Exactly, on your edit.

What do you have on the end of the duct where it goes into the fender? The FJs have that particle separator and those are horribly restrictive. You will loose at least 20 HP with that blocking up the intake and will cause the duct to suck real easy.

I have the original fortuner hard plastic duct with fixed fins at the end, to make the air flow swirl into the filter. Do you think I should cut off those fins?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score

I think Mark might be onto something here....May not even be at the fender, although it very well still could be. Is there a particulate filter at the very top of the snorkel? Is the inner diameter of the snorkel smaller than the flexible hose?

Gadget

Reaction score
Yea, loose those fins. Huge HP loss right there and it causes a lot of pressure drop in the hose.

uae

Reaction score
6F2C0208-44B7-4C82-9D1D-34094A4A50CD.jpeg
View attachment 22125 Unbelievable! The wire I put inside the duct got crushed with the squeezing of the supercharger suction. Looks like I'll go back to the Spectre flexible duct.
I faced the same issue twice while offroading and that was a dangerous situation, then I bought a new duct from Toyota and faced the same issue in a week, in my case the trigger for the duct collapse was the wot under rough terrain driving, never faced the issue on road though. I ended up throwing the duct and fabricate a complete 4 inch alum pipe and open up the fender side a bit to fit the pipe, on the intake side i added a hump coupler and that worked well.

Attachments

• 9757E912-2968-44E3-9D99-ED0FE39857A8.jpeg
    9757E912-2968-44E3-9D99-ED0FE39857A8.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 456

iniazy

Reaction score
That does look nice. I gained 2 psi of boost by removing the fins in the intake duct. I'm now removing my snorkel precleaner in favor of an angled snorkel air ram. I bet that will restore a psi at least.

View attachment 23100
I faced the same issue twice while offroading and that was a dangerous situation, then I bought a new duct from Toyota and faced the same issue in a week, in my case the trigger for the duct collapse was the wot under rough terrain driving, never faced the issue on road though. I ended up throwing the duct and fabricate a complete 4 inch alum pipe and open up the fender side a bit to fit the pipe, on the intake side i added a hump coupler and that worked well.

Reactions: uae
Top Bottom