Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear end help!

RatfinkX

Reaction score
I looked through many pages on this site for info on diagnosing rear hubs and diffs, and for the life of me I couldn't find it. Recently my truck started making a horrible grinding noise connected to the turning of the rear wheels. I can't tell if it's a bearing or the diff. The lsd seems to be working but for how long? How east is it to fix or replace those parts? And is there a write up I can be referred to?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's all the way back to the diff? U-joints make a terrible sound when they go. And they're known to fail on these trucks, to the point that Toyota just issued notices to some owners

RatfinkX

Reaction score
Are you sure it's all the way back to the diff? U-joints make a terrible sound when they go. And they're known to fail on these trucks, to the point that Toyota just issued notices to some owners
That would be amazing if it was just the u joints. I can't check it till the weekend but I can easily pop those out in a short period of time fingers crossed that's all it is

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you noticing any driveline vibration?

RatfinkX

Reaction score
Not really it sounds to me like a wheel bearing but it's almost impossible to tell while driving and its not always loud enough to pin point any one thing being wrong sometimes. The noise doesn't really change while turning (that I can tell) and the lsd seems to be functioning as it should

autobodyX

Reaction score
On a strait stretch of road,Find the speed that the noise is the loudest then tip the steering one way then the other transferring wait from one side to the other. If the noise goes away momentarily it’s s wheel bearing on the unloaded side.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds less and less like u-joints.....

RatfinkX

Reaction score
Where do you live?
Saint Louis
On a strait stretch of road,Find the speed that the noise is the loudest then tip the steering one way then the other transferring wait from one side to the other. If the noise goes away momentarily it’s s wheel bearing on the unloaded side.
I'll give that a try tonight or tomorrow and see what I can find out.
Sounds less and less like u-joints.....
Yea driving it today I'm really starting to think wheel bearing still not constant or loud enough to really pin point deffinatly need to try autobodyx's trick

RatfinkX

Reaction score
So embarrassing Post script to this thread... The pin in the drum holding the shoe on snapped somehow, so it was rolling around in the drum and got jammed that's what made the grinding noise...

RatfinkX

Reaction score
True I got a real bad habit of overthinking every thing on my car repairs. Any noise is always worst case scenario

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Always better/safer to overthink than not to think!

Glad you got it figured out!

Top Bottom