Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reattaching ground effects

Grumpy

Reaction score
I hit some road gator (tire shreds) on one of my many road trips. Here's how I go about reattaching the them.

Got hit in the front while changing lane, didn't even see it coming. Gorilla tape hold it busted bits the rest of the trip. Arrived safely, time for repair.

IMAG3618.jpg

Chances are some of your mounting tap is missing, get some of these at Lowes or Home Depot
IMAG3621.jpg

Attach them to where the oem plastic clip would mount. Clean the area with some Isopropyl alcohol. Warm temp will help adhesive bond better. For best result, use 3M adhesion promoter.
IMAG3620.jpg

Repeat as necessary
IMAG3619.jpg

Put ziptie through them like so
IMAG3625.jpg

Pass the zip tie through the hole where oem plastic clip wound attach to the rocker. Start all of them first then slowly pull the ziptie until the side skirt is flush against the rocker panel. A small amount of tension is all you need, too much will pull those new mounting tabs off over time.

This one is mostly intact, tore off only half the mounting legs. Reinforce with Epoxy, reload with new clips and its ready to go back on.
This piece attaches to the bed, forward of the rear wheel.
IMAG3622.jpg

Front lip mounting tabs were torn, so I made new tabs out of metal and epoxy it on. Sorry no pic, this was done previously

Last edited by a moderator:

blu xr

Reaction score
nice...thx for posting.

this will help everyone, cause if you own an xr, its gonna happen to you lol.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
And to think I've just been rocking duck tape holding on pretty much every piece of ground effect on my truck for well over a year lol. I'll have to get down to business with this when I get back to the states.

Murderface

Reaction score
Ha I was gonna do a write up for when I did mine but stupid me forgot to take certain important pics.
So surprised this write up hasn't been done yet!

butters607

Reaction score
I hit some road gator (tire shreds) on one of my many road trips. Here's how I go about reattaching the them.

Got hit in the front while changing lane, didn't even see it coming. Gorilla tape hold it busted bits the rest of the trip. Arrived safely, time for repair.
IMAG3618.jpg

Chances are some of your mounting tap is missing, get some of these at Lowes or Home Depot
IMAG3621.jpg

Attach them to where the oem plastic clip would mount. Clean the area with some Isopropyl alcohol. Warm temp will help adhesive bond better. For best result, use 3M adhesion promoter.
IMAG3620.jpg

Repeat as necessary
IMAG3619.jpg

Put ziptie through them like so
IMAG3625.jpg

Pass the zip tie through the hole where oem plastic clip wound attach to the rocker. Start all of them first then slowly pull the ziptie until the side skirt is flush against the rocker panel. A small amount of tension is all you need, too much will pull those new mounting tabs off over time.

This one is mostly intact, tore off only half the mounting legs. Reinforce with Epoxy, reload with new clips and its ready to go back on.
This piece attaches to the bed, forward of the rear wheel.
IMAG3622.jpg

Front lip mounting tabs were torn, so I made new tabs out of metal and epoxy it on. Sorry no pic, this was done previously[/
QUOTE]

I used quick weld for the square mounts when they broke on mine

nick_gz1

Reaction score
sweet write up, this will come in handy for many

Grumpy

Reaction score
How did you do it for the front ones?

Didn't take any pic of the front lip mounting tabs repair this time. Took some about 4 years ago when I fix it the first time. Same goes for the rear bumper pieces. I'll see if I can find it.

X-roller

Reaction score
Interested in the front pics. Can we please sticky this??? Took me forever to find lol

X-roller

Reaction score
Lol bag is smaller than you think.... I looked everywhere for a normal sized bag... its probably a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

Redline

Reaction score
So this is for the side groud effects correct? will this work with the front ones? idk how mine are still there they have a couple tabs broken and sure dont want to pay $190 per each front ground effect :frown:

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Wish I would have been able to find this yesterday was searching for it. One question once you epoxy those tabs on how do you zip tie it to truck as there's only the one hole in truck where other clip was?

kcidmil

Reaction score
Wish I would have been able to find this yesterday was searching for it. One question once you epoxy those tabs on how do you zip tie it to truck as there's only the one hole in truck where other clip was?

That was the side skirts that he used the 1" mounting blocks on with zip ties. To use on the front you'll have to drill a hole to run the zip tie back through.

06 xrunner

Reaction score
^^^yeah it was the side skirt I had part way off. I'm just curious as there is only the one hole in the truck where the tab connected to and if I put those tabs on and run the ziptie through where do I bring it back through on the body..it didn't look like there was anywhere close to bring it back through. Guess I'll check it again

Xraided

Reaction score
thanks for this!! i just went over one of thos parking blocks and broke some of my clips on the driver side side skirt

blu xr

Reaction score
What could I use to replace the broken clip mounts on my front spoiler?

im not sure on the front, but on the sides i had to order parts from toyota. im sure you can get those too, but be sure you get the right ones cause iirc there were 3 different style for the side skirts. it may be the same way on the front. im sure someone will be able to tell you.

on the back i was able to use zipties which worked good.

Top Bottom