Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spec U Headers Installed...need more power

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
So I finally received the Spec U Equal Length Headers and they are great...I originally just wanted to get rid of my bad front cats and this was the more cost effective option.

But it makes the truck drive so much better I am looking at their Y pipe now...now I want to decide if I want to just get the Y pipe, or also get the catback. I'm really just more interested in power gains...would there be much of a bottleneck left if I just got the Y pipe and kept the stock catback?

And how much difference is there between a CAI vs. just a K&N drop in filter?

Superloki24

Reaction score
Get the whole Spec-U package. You will not be disappointed. The power is very noticeable, especially when the revs get going. The sound is pretty amazing as well.

Superloki24

Reaction score
I have no idea. I got the whole package in one go. There is a little bit of a rasp around 2200-2300rpm but it isn't there before that rpm and goes away right after it.

I would check out the URD website and the video clip that is posted there is exactly the way it sounds.

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
How much did the sound/tone change with just the headers?

it's actually quite a bit louder at idle and driving around...but at a constant RPM on the freeway, not really noticeable!

honestly, it sounds a little ricey and high pitched to me with that rasp around 2300 RPM. so I want to see if a Y pipe would be helpful in making it sound deeper.

however, the truck drives very smooth and pickup is quite strong on the freeway

pretty close to pulling the trigger on the full exhaust system actually.

Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Hoping to buy a set of headers very soon. Not a fan of the raspy sound of most of the cat back systems with the dtlt headers.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Equal length y pipe gets rid of all the rasp. Have one gabbed up and your golden

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
I just got my Spec U headers and full Spec U exhaust in yesterday, works pretty awesome. At roughly the same time I also had a 7th injector, UCON-EMS installed, new plugs etc. I am running the 2.85 pulley on a TRD S/C.

I have some pretty annoying rasp that mostly rears it's head at lower speeds, stop light to stop light. I drove 360 miles round trip out to Utah from Colorado today to try and get it "Burned in" a bit and while it did seem to tame it at highway speeds, it is still pretty bad going through the gears.

Now....mind you, my truck is quite a bit different than most on here. I have about 1,000 pounds of aluminum pop-up camper and gear on a 2005 4x4 at all times, it's a work truck kind of thing. So the truck is under a lot more load and higher TPS, boost than even your average 4WD 1GRFE.

So the first clip is approaching the onramp of I-70 in second, lots of rasp to be had and quite a bit more high pitched than I have heard from other clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ClmBsB4k5I&feature=youtu.be

The second clip is a 5th gear pull on a fairly steep grade going from about 75-85, starting at around 1psi going to 3.5. It's a lot smoother and buried behind the noise of the blower and exhaust note proper but you can still hear it under load, regardless of RPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGfv-Ym2HHs&feature=youtu.be

My concern is that I had to cut off a good 10" inches of tailpipe in order for the setup to work with my other mods / lift. So I am wondering if I am not seeing some kind of nasty harmonic because the entire exhaust path is a bit shorter with that heavier end lopped off.

Tell me what ya' think?

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Won't let me view it. YouTube says the video is set to private.

OaklandFD3S

Reaction score
Equal length y pipe gets rid of all the rasp. Have one gabbed up and your golden

hmm...i feel like im just gonna end up ordering the entire thing in the end...if im under the car might as well do it all at once!

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Thanks for alerting me to this, they are now public.

No problem. The first video it sound very raspy. Access cab correct? Sounds very raspy might want to check and make sure everything is bolted up good and nothing is loose. Just sounds nothing like gadgets truck haha.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
No problem. The first video it sound very raspy. Access cab correct? Sounds very raspy might want to check and make sure everything is bolted up good and nothing is loose. Just sounds nothing like gadgets truck haha.

My tech and I spent an hour both driving, revving and re-tightening and found nada. Wife does not like the rasp, small rodents molest sleeping cats via the rasp. Be gone oh rasssss-ph!

I think it is a product of lopping off an end of the "tuning fork", sure is wicked either way.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Did not think that cutting 10" out would change the tone that much but might. Gadget would know the answer to that question.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
Did not think that cutting 10" out would change the tone that much but might. Gadget would know the answer to that question.

He was not sure either...

I checked the bolts, all good. I then fired up the truck and tried to listen for the noise, found it right away, it's the flex coupling between the smaller muffler and the downstream end of the Y-pipe. Had my wife do a couple revs and it confirmed it.

So that component either needs to be fixed or replaced, upgraded?? Though far from ideal for real off roading, for now I put a metal hose clamp around it and that seems to have calmed it down about 30-40% from where it was at.

Attachments

• flex.jpg
    flex.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Ya it looks like the expansion is swollen and probably leaking exhaust gases. I would email urd tech support and ask gadget that way. I have swamped him with questions on things lately but he answers quick and honest.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
Ya it looks like the expansion is swollen and probably leaking exhaust gases. I would email urd tech support and ask gadget that way. I have swamped him with questions on things lately but he answers quick and honest.

I think a good bit of these flex couplings have some bulge by design for a little articulation, you can see it in the product photo on URD's site. On another note I am out in Utah for a few days and the little snug up on the coupling by way of a hose clamp seems to have clamped down on the noise by at least 80% now, it's almost gone.

I still might do a leak check of sorts on it, wrap it in plastic while cold, etc...

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Good idea. You can also do a leak test with the truck off by using a smoke machine in the tailpipe then look for any places the smoke leaks out. Should be able to make one pretty easy with a cigarette and a bottle and a air hose. Check YouTube they show you how to make a cheap smoke machine.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I think a good bit of these flex couplings have some bulge by design for a little articulation, you can see it in the product photo on URD's site. On another note I am out in Utah for a few days and the little snug up on the coupling by way of a hose clamp seems to have clamped down on the noise by at least 80% now, it's almost gone.

I still might do a leak check of sorts on it, wrap it in plastic while cold, etc...

Any update on this issue? I am having the same problem you are on my 06 X with full spec-u exhaust.

Top Bottom