Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stoner-x tablet fail :(

STONER-X

Reaction score
well, after getting the tablet all situated.. i kept on falling into small nick nack things that were going to take some real customizing.... lots of 90deg connectors (USB's, power, audio), modifying a/c vent that would remove adjustability from the drivers vent, and just not being practical for stereo use.... and after relocating my stereo to the cubby hole behind the shifter there was not enough room to really get it in there all the way with out it sticking out 1.5 inches which caused me to lose function of my cig outlets....

but dont worry... the tablet will still be functional in the truck... i just will have to go another route... the new plan is to...

-im going to remove all the stuff that i did to the dash part.. just some cutting of added parts.. all can be removed with out damaging the original holder..

-use my kenwood excelon single den in a single din stereo set up. going to make the holder so i can relocate the stereo higher or lower as needed...

-then get a tablet holder and solid mount the base to the new made dash kit.. this way i can plug in the tablet holder or swap it out with one that can hold my iphone.. all tablet functions will be the same..

- i also have an oil psi gauge that i might throw in there. along with an oil cooler.. i have an oil cooler kit for my VW so i just have to get an oil filter plate...

i should have enough plexy glass and supplies to make the new one without having to but new parts besides the holder...

with this 3 day weekend i am going to lower the truck some to keep me happy :smile:.. 2" rear.. 1.5"-1.75" front.

STONER-X

Reaction score
ill have to take a few.... give me a little... im cleaning the house up :thumbdown: lol

STONER-X

Reaction score
lol.. i forgot i had a few pics on my phone already :) dont mind the wires hanging out.. that was part of the getting everything situated.. i really liked it... everything can work i just didnt want to modify the ac vent.. then the cables were tough to find in the small, short, and 90deg sizes.... :thumbdown:

Attachments

• IMG_0710[1].jpg
    IMG_0710[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0711[1].jpg
    IMG_0711[1].jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0712[1].jpg
    IMG_0712[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 185

zr2ee

Reaction score
THAT'S A HUGE B!%#$ :laugh: i've seen 1 guy fit a 10" carputer in a tacoma but he had to modify the whole dash, he ended up putting his AC controls up top over the screen...i can't find the picture now but it's floating around some forums some where

xmadcowx

Reaction score
Don't give up that easy man...cut it up! I had to trim behind my vents, on the sides a bit to get them to still fully function and to fit the screen. I don't have a pic handy of the dash, but here is the mold...its the same thing essentially. 10.2" screen.

Fabrication_03.jpg

...and to think, I jumped on here tonight to see if there was still any interest in this stuff....truck my be going in on a trade soon, which means I will be selling my entire setup....so that's always an option too =)

Workman3886

Reaction score
looks like your tablet is a 10.1" 16 by 9 ratio tablet, I think the iPad is a 10.1" 4 by 3 ratio?!?

hiflyer

Reaction score
my ghetto iPad mount in my X

Did this the end of July just before going on holidays for 3 weeks & put a wack of miles on my X....

Form - meh, needs to be redone which I will do this winter

Function - 100% rocks!!!

Yeah, forgive the crappy pix, it's really not as bad as it looks...

1.jpg

2.jpg

STONER-X

Reaction score
Don't give up that easy man...cut it up! I had to trim behind my vents, on the sides a bit to get them to still fully function and to fit the screen. I don't have a pic handy of the dash, but here is the mold...its the same thing essentially. 10.2" screen.

...and to think, I jumped on here tonight to see if there was still any interest in this stuff....truck my be going in on a trade soon, which means I will be selling my entire setup....so that's always an option too =)

dont worry dude im not calling it quits.... im just going for a different set up.... after the initial set up i realized that it was not too practical.... i after having it in the truck i still found myself still shuffling for the radio or just hooking up me iphone... so im going to do a dual mount that can change from the tablet to an iphone mount...

i was also going for a removable tablet not a permanent mount.. the tablet i have has uses around the house when the lady in on the laptop.. :)

mxmotomertz

Reaction score
possible help

hey man i did a simular conversion with mine i have an ipad in my dash with a kdc 995 in the lower compartment like you it seems like your having some of the problems i had when installing mine i found out that the kdc 995 has an ipod hands on mode that is compatible with the ipad which allows you to control it by the screen not the deck threw a usb so i just split the ipad usb cord where it connects to the ipad had it come out at 90 degree angle i put slots on the left and right side where the ac vents are but not to big so i have full function still i ran the usb down the side behind my back plate and into the back of the deck the back plate is made out of 1/8in plastic sheets i found at lows carpet it so it slides out nicely if you want more details on how i run every thing feel free to ask

Attachments

• install4.jpg
    install4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 138

mxmotomertz

Reaction score
finished product

just figured out how to post pics

Attachments

• downsized_0308011623 (1).jpg
    downsized_0308011623 (1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 140
  • downsized_0308011932 (2).jpg
    downsized_0308011932 (2).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 149
  • downsized_0311012024.jpg
    downsized_0311012024.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 147
  • downsized_0311012138.jpg
    downsized_0311012138.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 151

Workman3886

Reaction score
Wow that's a pretty clean setup you have there, did you just cut and mod the center section to fit?

mxmotomertz

Reaction score
yeah i pulled out the stock bash then pulled out the silver framing then measured it up then went to town it was a pain in my ass to get everything situated and even but so worth it out of all the mods i love this one the best by the way these pic's are old this was done before everything else but let me tell you it turns some heads driving down the road

forgot to mention i also used foam to help keep it straight on the sides it also keeps it from rattling or sliding even from the hardest bass drops

Last edited:
Top Bottom