Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD supercharger leaking....

Razorecko

Reaction score
So my trd supercharger started leaking after the dealer changed out the spark plugs - not so much leaking as there is no visible oil dripping but it is seeping. I'm literally two weeks away from the end of my warranty and had it brought in to the dealer and the dealer said this was normal behavior from the blower. This is a load in my opinion as the inside of the intake pipe is wet with oil and at the inlet of the tb it is wet black gunk/oil. When I checked my tb about 15k miles ago it was a little sooty but no where anywhere near oil slick wet....Anyone know what is causing this seepage and is it possible for me to get something done from a dealership / toyota before my warranty goes ? - Oh, and my car idles a little rougher now. Nothing someone else would notice but me being the owner def does.

2iiilnn.jpg

audxnc.jpg

eafpdk.jpg

ztvots.jpg

...i can't image what a black wet sogging brick the ic inside the blower must look like.

butters607

Reaction score
Take it back and tell them bs and make them replace the seals and fix it if it is still under warranty

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
They probably jacked the intercooler seal and it needs to be replaced. The first pics though is just the intake, try tightening the bolt there I can't remeber if there is a seal there or rtv, but they should have had to pull the nose off the sc.... Get it documented that it's leaking as they are probably looking to eat up time so you can make a claim!

Razorecko

Reaction score
Yea they already tightened up the bolts when it was leaking a little, now its all over so it got worse and relatively quickly. Should I just go to a different dealership ? Or are all toyota dealerships @sshats like this ? My GM dealership wouldnt even blink an eye to exchange it

Coupe

Reaction score
At the intercooler cover, there is a big o-ring type seal that fits in a groove.

At the front cover, there is no seal. I used a hylomar (non hardening) sealer.

Razorecko

Reaction score
When you take that lid off i'm guessing that the ic brick is in the lid hooked up to the coolant lines ? - Can I unbolt the lid with the ic brick to take a look at it without draining coolant or any other prep work ? - That way If i have to I can have them unbolt it when i'm there to see how bad it looks and it would only take a min...also how could I get all that oil going all the way into the cai tube if the air flow is going the opposite direction, there would have to be a ton of pressure blowing that oil the other way. Also is that the lid that needs to be taken off when doing the spark plugs ?

TRON

Reaction score
Yes you are correct; unbolting the intercooler can be moved to the side and is spill free regarding coolant. Be careful re tighting those #10 mm bolts for the intercooler; very easy to strip if over torqued. Do you have an oil catch can? Do you have an oil based air filter?

Man please give that engine bay a bath!!!:top:

Razorecko

Reaction score
Yes you are correct; unbolting the intercooler can be moved to the side and is spill free regarding coolant. Be careful re tighting those #10 mm bolts for the intercooler; very easy to strip if over torqued. Do you have an oil catch can? Do you have an oil based air filter?

Man please give that engine bay a bath!!!:top:

cool - you know what ftlbs those bolts go in at ? - This is my winter truck / 4wd tacoma and in illinois with our salty winters the bay gets pretty funky. What lines are you guys using your catch cans off ? - off the line by the maf on the intake pipe ? I do have an oil based filter but its not coming from the filter, waaaaay too much oil sludge.

Coupe

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the I/C removed.

Torque for the lid bolts are 12 Nm (9 ft lbf). Do not remove the bolt between the two hose connections.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Catch can lines are on the driver side.

Razorecko

Reaction score
Thanks coupe/torspd ! I'm guessing outside a bad pcvalve the only way I would get alot of oil through the intake portion of the blower would be for the gasket to be pinched or bad on the intercooler cover and blow through towards the intake filter ?

Razorecko

Reaction score
So pissed off.....looking into my service records the dealership put in the wrong spark plugs !!! I spoke with their parts and their parts said they only had the regular plugs in their system unlike the other dealerships which could find the denso IK22. The dealer put in ngk 4904 which are the iridium heat range six - the iridium counterparts for oem Tacoma trucks with no supercharger. So I've been running with a hot plug for months !!!! it would explain the shake with the truck I've been having but any reason why specifically why a hotter plug would make me push the oil out....?

Super Werty

Reaction score
Looking at your pictures, all of that looks pretty normal to me. Mine had it, and I never saw a TRD blower that didnt. I just cleaned mine off weekly so it never looked saturated

You can buy the new rubber gaskets but good luck finding them. Most dealers have no clue on how to get TRD supercharger parts. I would call Magnuson direct and ask them.

FJTTSE

Reaction score
I had this "issue" as well and thought leakage too at first. Turns out I just needed to clean my engine after 6 years. Looks great now and the issue has not returned after 4 months.

IMG_0370_zpse2e0b731.jpg

Last edited:

Razorecko

Reaction score
But do both of you guys have intake pipes you can turn and watch oil drip out of ?

I tried to post earlier but site was down. Found out through digging in my service records that last year when the dealer dropped in new plugs they put in ngk 4906s in. Great if you're going iridium on your stock tacoma. Bad if you should have a 1 step colder range plug like the denso ik22s. Dealer is getting a visit from me tomorrow. Would a bent valve shoot oil up through the intake past the pcv system or is it pushing past the rings from the pressure ?

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your vacuum cap on the boost port behind the water lines, is cracked or missing?

Have your tried spraying any carb cleaner around the engine, while idling, to see if the idle changes?

TRON

Reaction score
Have your tried spraying any carb cleaner around the engine, while idling, to see if the idle changes?

^^^That's a good idea... To the OP, I have never seen that on my TRD setup to any degree that it was leaking out.

Razorecko

Reaction score
....went to another toyota dealer. They hooked it up to the techstream....tech comes over to me and says.....you're still on your stock tune they never updated you to the trd supercharger tune....................5 years running on the stock tune. Running lean but somehow alive until they put in hotter plugs and really started cooking the sh*t out of my truck.

Razorecko

Reaction score
Holy barfunkle! WOW

Whats sad is the tech told me this isn't the first time he's seen it - he showed me the techstream screen the whole deal. That would explain why going one heat range hotter really jacked my engine up. It was just that extra push over the edge. Oh and the tech told me that the car wont even trigger an a/f cel unless it hits 18:1. Really nice huh ? 18:1 so when your motor is dumping oil on the highway the car can tell you you're having a problem. The limits for cels/mil are set wayyyyy to high on these trucks.

Top Bottom