Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD Supercharger Maintenance??

jmoore120

Reaction score
So a guy a work was asking me how to change the oil in my TRD Supercharger. I told him that as far as I know, our superchargers are self contained. Anyone have any info on this? Perhaps Gadget will chime in on this one.

Gadget

Reaction score
http://www.gadgetonline.com/SuperNose.htm

You can change the oil in the nose drive. You have to remove the plug and use a suction device to remove all the oil in the nose drive. Then refill it with a pre-mesured amount of supercharger oil. You will have to call and ask TRD or Magnuson how much oil this nose drive takes.

You can get the oil from your local GM dealer. It comes in 4 oz tubes.

Gadget

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
blowerside.JPG

Crack her open and drain it...

Or... Try to suck it all out and pump/fill new oil in.

The oil is good for a while... and either way will work just fine.

Last edited:

bada$$03taco

Reaction score
it would also be wise at around 30k miles to take your belt off the snout pulley and see if you have any slack in the pulley/bearings. at about 32k miles i had my S/C taken off and it had a good bit of play in the front nose drive, and i'm assuming that meant the bearings had slack in them. i'm sure the bearings need to be replaced at 30K miles in order to keep the bearings from going out on you and causing the rotors to hit one another.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
it would also be wise at around 30k miles to take your belt off the snout pulley and see if you have any slack in the pulley/bearings. at about 32k miles i had my S/C taken off and it had a good bit of play in the front nose drive, and i'm assuming that meant the bearings had slack in them. i'm sure the bearings need to be replaced at 30K miles in order to keep the bearings from going out on you and causing the rotors to hit one another.

Thats most likely the plastic coupler...

coupler.JPG

jmoore120

Reaction score
Would the dealership do this service or would I have to do it myself? If I did this or had someone else do this, how would it affect the warranty of the unit?

rich017

Reaction score
Would the dealership do this service or would I have to do it myself? If I did this or had someone else do this, how would it affect the warranty of the unit?

I think that someone was told by the dealer than it is a non-serviceable unit. So just do it yourself because it would be a lot cheaper anyways.

Gutz

Reaction score
Would this be for the X's TRD SC only? or would it apply to all TRD SC's?

trd_sport

Reaction score
all of them...the only thing different between the models is the fit kit.

Gadget

Reaction score
The dealer is not likely going to touch it as TRD's position is that it has a maintenance free service life of 100,000 miles.

Gadget

jmoore120

Reaction score
Thanks G. Was just wandering because I didn't find any information in the forums regarding this.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
This thread is being revived:

So my TRD blower has about 75,000 miles on it and the spark plugs, 65,000 on the snout oil, 40,000 on the belt. It is doing well, 6 pounds of boost at 8,000 and above, up to a whopping 9 PSI on the East coast one day at sea level last year, but I am rarely there, usually above 6,000 feet and often above 12,000. The sound has not changed, the belt looks good all around. I am running the URD red 2.825 pulley, 1st gen. TRD CAI.

I was going to do work on it next year when I am hoping to put a good bit of money into, headers, bigger injectors, Walbro 255, a MapECU3 ( X1 seems extinct ) and have Gadget get it dialed and just put in new plugs for now, but according to this thread and from what I can see my self, it looks best to remove the blower to get to the driver side plugs ( yikes )…..( damn )…..( crap ).

This vehicle sees duty not unlike that of industrial application vehicle since it is used for commercial purposes full time, so preventative maintenance is a more cost effective option and at this point, I love working on it, everything is out of warranty but paid off:

http://kodachromeproject.com/blog/

So what I am planning on doing at the moment is replacing the plugs, pulling and cleaning the intercooler component, installing a catch can, replacing the snout oil and possibly the plastic coupler if I can do it without removing the input shaft and one time install aluminum URD pulley. I am also looking to pull the blower apart to get to the lobes / impellers to clean oil and goo off of those too. So from what I can tell from my install instructions ( Toyota did the install ) to get the blower off, I disconnect all hoses, de-tension the belt, pull the intercooler out, unbolt the blower from the manifold, front idler assembly, bracket, throttle body and pull it out.

Any insight, experience or tips with this, especially pulling the blower out and getting to the impeller lobes? And what about doing compression tests when you have to take the blower off to get to the driver side bank while it is still warm, that seems like a conflict of operatives?

Just ordered the Walbro 255 for now, figure it is a safe thing to do, I'll do bigger injectors, MapECU3 / X1 when I do headers and such...

Last edited:

outlaw7

Reaction score
the blower is pretty simple to install/uninstall. all you have to do is disconnect the coolant lines, remove the intercooler, loosen the 6 bolts inside the intake chamber, remove the belt, then the 4 bolts i believe, in the front and 2 along the d/s. pulled mine in about 30 mins, reinstalled in about 25. as far as the internal work should just be removing the nuts on the front snout im guessing. prob easier to change the oil with the blower off also.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
For Pete's sake, I have called around, emailed all effing day long and I can't believe I can't get a straight answer out of anyone on the following:

I lost the paper that PSE superchargers sent along with my nose drive re-build some time ago that had the torque settings of the bolts on the nose drive, the type of sealant used and how much oil to put in ( I think it is 6 OZ. ).

Anyone know the answer to this? I am scheduled to do this maintenance tomorrow so I can get the truck to my mechanic the next morning to install the new fuel pump so I can get back to using this thing for work.

This forum seems dead lately, can anyone chime in?

Top Bottom