Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

URD sts feeling stock now...

bluXkid

Reaction score
I got up with coupe. 9.5" shifter arm will be what I get from him. It's actually gotten worse too. Kinda scary now.

And the reason the stock arm is shot is due to the added leverage that the URD kit puts on the rubber insert inside the arm, not to mention on a 10yr old truck. It's not due to user error installing the set screws....you throw on some locktite and torque them down. I doubt I screwed that step up.

justin13703

Reaction score
I got up with coupe. 9.5" shifter arm will be what I get from him. It's actually gotten worse too. Kinda scary now.

And the reason the stock arm is shot is due to the added leverage that the URD kit puts on the rubber insert inside the arm, not to mention on a 10yr old truck. It's not due to user error installing the set screws....you throw on some locktite and torque them down. I doubt I screwed that step up.

I'm not saying you screwed that up. I'm saying a lot of issues in the past have been because of people not loctiting the screws, and you also need to punch the metal next to the threads to lock them in place to be extra safe. Heard of a lot of people not doing this and the set screws backing out.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I'm not saying you screwed that up. I'm saying a lot of issues in the past have been because of people not loctiting the screws, and you also need to punch the metal next to the threads to lock them in place to be extra safe. Heard of a lot of people not doing this and the set screws backing out.

Yup it's this reason for all the past issues with the URD kit. The rubber bushing in the stock shifter is pure shit. Mine went out just after 30k. So I have a custom welded solid chopped shifter and haven't had any issues. My shifter set screws were punched and lock righted as well. I can't believe some ppl still have the stock rubber bushing at 70k+ miles. That thing must be like shifting with a wet noodle.

justin13703

Reaction score
Yup it's this reason for all the past issues with the URD kit. The rubber bushing in the stock shifter is pure shit. Mine went out just after 30k. So I have a custom welded solid chopped shifter and haven't had any issues. My shifter set screws were punched and lock righted as well. I can't believe some ppl still have the stock rubber bushing at 70k+ miles. That thing must be like shifting with a wet noodle.

Mine lasted till about 40k. The stock shifter is a crap design. I will say that if you ever get a lightweight flywheel you I'll want to stay away from a welded shifter. It transmits A LOT of noise. The epoxy used in the arms coupe makes prevents the noise. Just for anyone who is reading this lol.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Mine lasted till about 40k. The stock shifter is a crap design. I will say that if you ever get a lightweight flywheel you I'll want to stay away from a welded shifter. It transmits A LOT of noise. The epoxy used in the arms coupe makes prevents the noise. Just for anyone who is reading this lol.

Funny you mention that. I have a lightweight flywheel and a stage 3+ clutch and it's not loud at all. Only slightly more than stock but my shifter is a custom one similar to coupes. I did a write up back in like 07-08. Filled it with GE rubber cement.

justin13703

Reaction score
Funny you mention that. I have a lightweight flywheel and a stage 3+ clutch and it's not loud at all. Only slightly more than stock but my shifter is a custom one similar to coupes. I did a write up back in like 07-08. Filled it with GE rubber cement.

Hmm that's strange. I didn't put that rubber cap on the top of the inner shifter part like in coupes write up and it was touching the outer rod and it transmitted some noise from that.

Coupe

Reaction score
I can tell you that I have noticed that some shifters transmit more noise than others, even when built the same way.

I have noticed to make a quiet ( but firm shifting ) shifter, the best approach is to take a new shifter and back fill the rubber bushing with epoxy. These seams to be the best compromise.

Doing this approach, you would not be able to shorten the shifter, in the way I typically cut them down.

The intact rubber bushings still mute some noise and the epoxy keeps the bushings from wearing out and the epoxy provides a more positive feel.

I have done this on the TRD SS and on the stock shifters with good success.

Top Bottom