Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write Up: 2012+ TRD CAI

Reaction score
I had the original GEN I TRD CAI in my 2005 and I am now modifying it to install in my 2013 with a few extras.

The parts I am using are as follows:

GEN I TRD CAI P/N PTR03-35090
afePower Housing P/N 05-82342B2 (This is necessary over the housing that came with the TRD CAI as in 2012+ the A/C lines are in a slightly different location in the engine bay and the afePower housing has a big indent in the underside of the housing that the TRD housing from the earlier years does not)
afePower Relocation Bracket P/N 05-12332B4
afePower Harness P/N 05-01266
afePower Head Screws P/N 03-50106 (x2)
afePower Fender Washer P/N 03-50070 (x2)
afePower Hex Nylon Nut P/N 03-50073 (x2)
Volant Ram Air Scoop P/N 38640
Silicone Intakes 4-1/2" to 4" Hump Hose Coupler (Red)
Silicone Intakes 3" to 3" Hose Coupler (Red)
Silicone Intakes 3-1/2" to 3-1/2" Hose Coupler (Red)

As most people know, the 2012+ Tacoma contains a smog pump in the emissions systems that pumps air into the exhaust manifolds which wasnt present on the earlier years, so therefore the Gen I TRD CAI is not applicable. With a few parts from afePower's 2012+ CAI, I am able to install the Gen I TRD CAI in my 2013. Yes I could just buy the proper afePower CAI for the 2012+ Tacomas but I had the TRD CAI sitting around from my 2005 and did not want to buy the complete afePower CAI. So while I was going through the process of modding the TRD CAI, I decided to add the Ram Air Scoop from the Volant CAI system. The TRD CAI originally came with the red rubber couplers and the Volant Ram Air Scoop comes with a black hose coupler, so I decided to replace all the couplers with red silicone couplers that I picked up from siliconeintakes.com for a very reasonable price.

So first thing I started with was how I was going to tie the Volant Ram Air Scoop into the TRD CAI. I know it has been done on here before but the is how I decided to go with this. The Volant scoop comes with a 3-1/2" I.D. coupler. I took a trip over to home depot and was able to pickup a 3-1/2" O.D. closet flange made of PVC. The closet flange of that size was only available in white, but I will deal with that later. So I took the closet flange and cut it to fit where i could mount it to the TRD CAI where it would look as if it came with it when I was finished. I also cut a gasket out of some black gasket material so I could ensure a proper seal when it was seated into the housing. The location was close to the edge of the housing so one side of the closet flange had to be cut flat to fit properly.

20140720_150236_zps3bkkgivn.jpg

Once the closet flange was cut and would fit it was time to drill the hole. I used a 3-1/2" hole saw and measured the location with the TRD CAI housing and Volant scoop mounted in place in the engine compartment. In order to attach the closet flange into the CAI housing I drilled 3 holes in the lip of the flange and used 3 allen head screws that were similar to the 3 allen head screws used to mount the filter adapter into the CAI housing. This ensured that the closet flange would look like it belonged to the GEN I TRD CAI originally. After everything was checked and lined up properly I grabbed some 220 grit sant paper and sanded the entire PVC closet flange and spray painted it flat black to match the CAI housing.

20140727_203852_zpse84z2lgn.jpg

After all said and done with the prep work the new flange for the Volant scoop coupler is installed and doesnt even look like I modified and added it to the TRD CAI.

20150316_120309_zpsipsdhi8i.jpg

20140807_064202_zpsy1fenmsr.jpg

After I was finished modding for the Volant scoop, I mounted the smog pump relocation bracket I got from afePower to the CAI housing using the supplied hardware.

20150316_122822_zpseogb5u9i.jpg

After mounting the relocation bracket, everything was ready to be installed into the truck. Everything gets installed and mounted as it did in the instructions for the Gen I TRD CAI. In order to mount the Volant scoop, all that is required is to remove the plastic push clips on the plastic radiator shroud cover and the shroud cover itself. Then save 3 of the clips to reuse to mount the Volant scoop on the center 3 holes towards the front of the vehicle from the removed radiator shroud plastic cover. The only thing left to do is install the smog pump wire harness extension from afePower from the factory harness to the smog pump after it is installed into the relocation bracket on the side of the CAI filter housing.

This is the Gen I TRD CAI all modded and installed into my 2013.

20150316_232121_zpsvlcjig3i.jpg

IMG_6575_zpscekh0clt.jpg

Air filter housing cover was off in the final picture for cleaning and oiling. Will be back installed tomorrow and ready for a test drive. :top:

MrX-runner

Reaction score
Nice, write-up. I have a similar set up, AFE CAI with Volant Ram Air Scoop.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Nice job, I took the easy way out and bought the Volant with scoop and honestly would have another tacoma with out it!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nicely done. :top: 2013 with a Gen 1 intake modded to fit a smog pump. I like.

Superloki24

Reaction score
This is pretty much exactly what I am going to be doing. I'm picking up my old TRD Gen 1 CAI next week and will be ordering up the extra parts from aFe sometime in the near future.

Good write up though.

Coupe

Reaction score
Nice write up.

This would finish it off nicely.

Yes, it was a shameful thread jack.

Top Bottom