Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: TRD Short Shifter Install

gunner76137

Reaction score
You really don't need to take the console out to do this!! Just push down on the corners of the shifter boot and remove it and you can get to everything without removing the whole console.

EspadaX

Reaction score
can i use this write-up for the URD also or is there a write-up for it already ?

HiTek21

Reaction score
URD is a little bit different because it doesn't replace the entire shifter assembly. It just adds on to the stock one. You can use the instructions to disassemble / reassemble the shifter (you can omit step 6 and just remove the shift lever retainer with the shifter installed still). It just doesn't cover how to put on that URD shifter add on.

Highball

Reaction score
I installed my quick shift kit today. Thanks for the write up with pictures. It made it easy.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Hell of an old thread but will be useful to me. Just bought and received a Coupe chopped 8.5 TRD SS. Hopefully be installing it today. Should go smooth with this excellent right up.

Reverend_d

Reaction score
we ll I thank you also for this write up because it showed me how the shifter internals come apart.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The TRD short shiftef is a whole replacement shifter are as well as spacer. The URD and NST short shifter kit are basically just a set of spacers.

the_truth

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but it was super helpful with my install today. Got it done in 20 min. Thanks a lot.

Just a few notes tho for anyone in the future that does this install on your own...
STEP 6: when twisting the retainer to remove the stock shifter, it'd be in your fingers' best interest to use a rag instead of trying to twist it with your just your hand. Speaking from experience, you will break skin.

STEP 7: USE THE RUBBER HAMMER. I, like a donkey, just pried it off with my hand and it did come off but lost more skin on my knuckle when I actually was able to break the gasket's seal.

Overall the shifter works like how you would expect a sports truck to shift. I can't image why Toyota didn't just make the truck with it already in. Oh well, best mod so far, by far.

Kale808

Reaction score
Just installed my coupe trd short shifter and this write up was REALLY helpful, thanks alot.

MrX-runner

Reaction score
Thanks, for the write up, It help alot when I did mine. The only thing that I should have change the redline mt-90 trans fluid too, when the shifter it removed...sign.!!!

widdoz runner

Reaction score
How would you change the tran fluid from the shifter??? Just pour it in? Sorry curiius cause I pump it from the underside and its a lil messy

Top Bottom