Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

$30 Traction Bars = no wheel hop

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Short and simple - Superior Automotive 3-way Adjustable helper springs from autozone (or similar) installed backwards.

I've been fighting with the Summit Traction bars for a couple years. Only a couple times have I gotten them to do anything. They had helped wheel hop, but never eliminated it.

I had my factory leafs de-arched a few months ago, and purchased some helper springs to help from bottoming out. Installed as the directions implied they did stop the bottoming out completely, but made my wheel hop sooo much worse.

Me and torspd reinstalled the traction bars with as much pre-load as we could, but because of their 'universal' design, we weren't able to get them installed in a manner that gauranteed no hop. And I continued to have hop.

While reading through some offroad forums looking for leaf springs, and reading on what they do to combat wheel hop I came across a thread from a frontier owner, saying that he installed the 3-way adjustable helper springs from autozone, backwards and all the wheel hop was gone.

Well I already had the springs so i said screw it, i'll give it a try. And sure enough they work, and they work VERY well. I have absolutely no wheel hop at all anymore. Gave a little demonstration for grumpy, torspd, and motonxruchick (i think is her tag). From a dig, no hop.

Here are some pics of the parts, as well as them installed. Per the instructions, you are supposed to install the helpers on the back half of the spring with the ubolt pressure point closer to the axle. Installing them on the front part of the leaf spring with the ubolt pressure point closer to the axle will eliminate wheel hop.

Average price i see them at is $29.99 + tax.
HelperSprings_1.png

HelperSprings_2.png

DSCF0135.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

Last edited:

rav-o-nation

Reaction score
I might have to give this a try i have the summit trac bars, but they gor rid of my wheel hop but i dont like how low they hung cuz i would scrape everything. so i cut them down. plus i dont like yellow. i will go to autozone this weekend and buy a set of these and give it a try

Murderface

Reaction score
I have the same exact ones in my shed, too bad I can't use em with my mono leafs:thumpdown:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I have the same exact ones in my shed, too bad I can't use em with my mono leafs:thumpdown:

What is the reason behind why you can't?

I was thinking about this mod in regards to the SS leafs. Only thing I could see being an issue was the dowel pin putting too much force on the face of the leaf (creating a divot or something worse).

Murderface

Reaction score
Shane told me not to cause it might make them crack:dontknow: I've already had one leaf delaminate/crack and don't need to change another one. Just regular driving/no helper leaf caused it

I wish I could run em and get rid of this shitty wheel hop:thumpdown:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Id install urethane spring pads between them, for 30 bucks and some afro engineering im gonna give it a shot.

Murderface

Reaction score
Let me know how that works out for ya, I'm gonna be gaining some more hp in the near future(fingers crossed) and I already need to get rid of the wheel hop

zrgray

Reaction score
That's awsome! I'm curious to see how this works with a few miles on them with the mono leafs. Deff the cheap and easy way out :rockon:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That's awsome! I'm curious to see how this works with a few miles on them with the mono leafs. Deff the cheap and easy way out :rockon:

Well hold on there... May take me a while to get a few miles on them. :laugh:

I can tell you how well they work sitting there though.

08x-runner

Reaction score
So, I should be able to install these on my factory leaf springs and it is will with the wheel hop? Does it matter if I am using lowering blocks?

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So, I should be able to install these on my factory leaf springs and it is will with the wheel hop? Does it matter if I am using lowering blocks?

Yep, bolt-on, call it good.

It should stop wheel hop with blocks as well.

zrgray

Reaction score
Well hold on there... May take me a while to get a few miles on them. :laugh:

I can tell you how well they work sitting there though.
lol... wern't you the guy who's e-brake seized up from sitting around? Well hopefully someone else will be doing it too :laugh:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
lol... wern't you the guy who's e-brake seized up from sitting around? Well hopefully someone else will be doing it too :laugh:

roflmao, yes that WAS me.... "WAS" sir.

I have since stopped washing the wheels with an acid based cleaner and parking it right away.

The problem has been resolved... partially - it still sits around lol.

Coupe

Reaction score
Thread jack-----

DS has it snowed in your area yet?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Thread jack-----

DS has it snowed in your area yet?

Yes, the roads here are terrible and the weather is crappy.

All the roads are riddled with sand, salt, and ground glass shards (they like to recycle here :laugh:).

The truck may come out to be strapped onto the dyno, other then that its not gonna run too much until the spring.

It is officially project season.

Coupe

Reaction score
As I remember they was a certain special part that was going to be finished before snow falls.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
As I remember they was a certain special part that was going to be finished before snow falls.

Yes now that things have settled down I will be getting this certain special part done at a certain special price for a certain special guy if he will have it.

Coupe

Reaction score
I am sure he will love it.

Back on topic.

I have mono leafs and I may try this. I agree with DS, a little black paint.

Or in Jason's case a little more dirt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom