Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

$10k Budget, What would you do to your X

rps13jp

Reaction score
So I have a $10K budget for upgrades and I've been researching the best way to make my X, mine. With that kind of money a lot of options are available and i think i have a decent idea of what i want, But you guys have been doing the mods on our trucks for quite a bit longer than I. I'm basically asking what would you guys spend you budget on if you had a bone stock X.

For me its a must to go F/I. I'm thinking the URD kit. I am in CA but i dont mind pulling the kit off every two years for smog. (besides a good overhaul is about due every two years any way) That being said im not against the TRD kit, i just like the plug and play ECU piggy back that it comes with. My end result i want is the cheapest way to 400hp. ( not necessarily with my initial 10K but eventually.

so heres my list:

Urd MK III S/C Kit stage 1: $5695.00
Stoptech BBK : $1799.00 (a must as stock brakes suck!)
DJM 3/4: $865.95
and a left over budget for any issues along the way in any $1600.00 if i dont need it then i will get the Stage 2 URD kit

So, What would you guys get/recommend?

Redline

Reaction score
Engine Swap! done. How fast do you want to go? the 1gr is a reliable motor not meant to put down power numbers "safely" . if i had 10 k thats what i would. & take the trans into consideration, how long til it goes out with that power.

KrazyIvan

Reaction score
First of all, where in Yuba City are you? I am go up there fairly often around Colusa Hwy and Washington Blvd area.

Mods wise...it would all be chassis, suspension, and transmission focused. Make the thing pull 2g in a turn :laugh: I had my st00pid power days. I am old and tired of worrying about reliability or playing shadow games with smog.

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
I want $10K!

I second the engine swap idea. See how the engine from the Tundra treats you, similar to the Tacoma RTR.
Otherwise: URD supercharger, T56 tranny, better suspension (I'm a suspension noob), intake & exhaust, and better brakes. But then again, that's mostly my dream there, and I have no real world experience with the idea. :rolleyez:

Keep us up to date what you decide. :top:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I would think twice about spending 10k on this platform. If not, then definetly the suspension upgrades from XII performance. Brakes n disc conversion out back.

justin13703

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if he does a motor swap especially in California that truck will probably never be street legal again.

Unfortunately when you start going over 400hp you start to push a stock 1gr to its limits and the already crappy transmission will start showing its issues much more. There are some people who have gone over 400hp and had no problems and for other people it was a catastrophe. So yes for me also it would be difficult to make myself spend 10k performance wise because you will either need to be very careful with your power or you will need much more than 10k for a full blown motor/trans swap and like I said I'm not very certain that you'll be able to get that legal in California.

madtrucker

Reaction score
That is a good list. Go for it! I have an s/c it's a blast. A lot of us on here have similar stuff. I'm north of 6k already. What else? I would say short shifter is a must and you will need a traction bar to go with that setup. It won't be the fastest thing on the road, but it will be one hell of a sporty little fun truck.

rps13jp

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if he does a motor swap especially in California that truck will probably never be street legal again.

Unfortunately when you start going over 400hp you start to push a stock 1gr to its limits and the already crappy transmission will start showing its issues much more. There are some people who have gone over 400hp and had no problems and for other people it was a catastrophe. So yes for me also it would be difficult to make myself spend 10k performance wise because you will either need to be very careful with your power or you will need much more than 10k for a full blown motor/trans swap and like I said I'm not very certain that you'll be able to get that legal in California.

Yes an engine swap is Damn near impossible for me And I want to keep it a nice driver, so I want my a/c and heater . Ill keep in mind that 400 might be a bit much so how about 350 whp and simular torque figures. I'll look into a traction bar. How do they work? I'm new to a live axle. My only real tuning experiences are in my 91 240sx, so irs. And because of this car I'm not thinking going crazy on suspension, I've already had a grip monster. I'm looking for a fun truck that I'm not struggling beating assholes that "need" to be in front of me. (I understand that now I'm the asshole)

I am new to lowering trucks so what are some good lowering kits for looks and a tad bit less body-roll

And keep up your suggestions I enjoy reading about what you guys want on your truck

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
t56 tranny swap and XII front coil overs and rear steel spring drop.

If you don't want to hassle with removing the S/C kit every two years, get the TRD, but use the UCON instead of getting the ECU re-flashed.

Reaction score
Supercharger (TRD or URD), X1, TRD brake kit, Suspension, or I would go a completely different route. Find someone that is selling their X-Runner, one that has all of the toys you want, and offer him your X-Runner plus 7K to 10K. That way you won't have to install all of the toys. A win/win situation.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
t56 tranny swap and XII front coil overs and rear steel spring drop.

If you don't want to hassle with removing the S/C kit every two years, get the TRD, but use the UCON instead of getting the ECU re-flashed.

T56 swap. :top: :top:

Doublld

Reaction score
Yes an engine swap is Damn near impossible for me And I want to keep it a nice driver, so I want my a/c and heater . Ill keep in mind that 400 might be a bit much so how about 350 whp and simular torque figures. I'll look into a traction bar. How do they work? I'm new to a live axle. My only real tuning experiences are in my 91 240sx, so irs. And because of this car I'm not thinking going crazy on suspension, I've already had a grip monster. I'm looking for a fun truck that I'm not struggling beating assholes that "need" to be in front of me. (I understand that now I'm the asshole)

I am new to lowering trucks so what are some good lowering kits for looks and a tad bit less body-roll

And keep up your suggestions I enjoy reading about what you guys want on your truck

im doin a ls swap right now with a/c heat but twin turbo monster. you can easily do a ls swap for 10k

shane881510

Reaction score
I love it when someone says 2jz it. In the end the 1gr are crap engines for high performance unless u put 10k in the engine alone. Then even some don't like that. If u want to keep the engine with out swaping in a Ls or 2jz. Swap ur oem Pistons and rods for good ones. And do t56 tranny swap. That's where I would start. And oil pan. Need deeper oil pan.

drdoom

Reaction score
pay off the truck or do some minor mods then take a vacation with the rest of the $.

Top Bottom