Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

18" tire sizes

wleldred

Reaction score
I know our trucks use a 255 55 r18 and according to my gps and what others have wrote our speedometers are off by 2mph. Has anyone tried using a 255 60 r18 to correct this and get a better idea of actual gas mileage?

CBRBob

Reaction score
Why not just do the calculation when filling up with gas instead of putting a slightly taller tire? Or get one of the many readily available speedo calibration devices. Problem is you are spending lots of money to fix a problem that really isn't there.

When you say off by 2mph, is that at 50, 70, 100mph?? I have found via two different gps devices that my speedo is fast by 1%. Negligible in any fashion. If it were 4-5% off, personally, I would have Toyota do something about it as it is putting more mileage on the vehicle than what is actually happening.

project-c2

Reaction score
That's nothing compared to my 05 GSXR 1000 which is off by like 6-8 MPH when doing 60mph on the highway. Plus our tires our 255/45 18s.:top: I would just live with it.

wleldred

Reaction score
not going to buy new tires just for this reason, simply thinking of go up when I have to buy new ones. That will most likely be sometime this year

My thinking was lets say you drive 60mph for 5 hours and you use 20 gallons of gas and that gets you 300 miles, you would have gotten 15 mpg.

If you just thought you were running 60 and were acually going 58 mph for 5 hours with the same 20 gallons you would only make it 290 miles and would have gotten 14.5 mpg. (maybe you have to walk the other 10 miles)

I know this is a very small amount , but with the price of gas I guess everone is aware of the mileage they are getting or not getting.:hmmmm2: :hmmmm2: :hmmmm2:

project-c2

Reaction score
But not taking into account the heavier weight of the rotating mass would slow it down.....:hmmmm2: I dunno. If I were that worried, I would have bought a Prius.

KX7

Reaction score
Just live with it P255/4518's works for me......

Top Bottom