Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

18's or 20's? The Ultimate Question

18" or 20" rims

• Total voters

ddongbap

Reaction score
Having larger rims don't really do much. As long as the outer diameter of the rubber is the same as stock, there shouldn't be any problems.

There was some debate about how larger rims (while keeping stock rubber diamater) would degrade performance. Or vice versa. You should know that rubber weighs a lot too. So as long as you're at stock rubber diameter, you shouldn't see too much performance degredation.

nblazing

Reaction score
if your keeping tires then get rims that fit the tires hard to find good rims like that but if you do its worth it

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I'm have the same problem 18's or 20's. Well Ive been looking at both and most of the 20's arent as wide as the 18's going from a 275 to a 255 especially in the rear you'll loose traction . I'm considering 18's but going with wider rear wheels and keeping the front wheels the same wigth

TacoInvader

Reaction score
You've gotta think, Overall weight of the wheel + tire isn't the whole factor here. With the larger diameter wheel you have much more rotational mass then you would with a smaller wheel, the larger of which would require more power to accelerate and brake. Just making sure this wasn't mentioned. I just skimmed through the posts and saw nothing on this.

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
You've gotta think, Overall weight of the wheel + tire isn't the whole factor here. With the larger diameter wheel you have much more rotational mass then you would with a smaller wheel, the larger of which would require more power to accelerate and brake. Just making sure this wasn't mentioned. I just skimmed through the posts and saw nothing on this.

Trust me you will not have any problems turning 20's. I love mine and it fills those monster wheel wells alittle better. I have no handling problems even with C2C lowering kit. Go 20's or go home!

ocfool

Reaction score
i just got sum 20 inch chrome wheels with 255/35 20 tires and the overall size is almost the same as my stock 18's

by the way i still have my 18's, i don't know what i should do with them??

illmeg4fun

Reaction score
I got mine from wheel max, they are 20's and i have no problems other than the fact that i chose the wrong tires and they look alittle to small for the truck. But i like them and have no problems in the rain or slipping at all.

LBC07X

Reaction score
How much does the stock wheel/tire weigh?

i have 20's and i dont have any power losses imo ...i weighed both the factory rim/tire and my 20" rim/tire and the 20's are lighter ...at the track i ran a 15.0 with the 20's which seems pretty good to me ...so i guess its just up to u ...but i wouldnt get aftermarket 18's i would just stick with the stockers if i wanted 18's

i_ski

Reaction score
Actually it's all about the trips http://www.mhtwheels.com/default.cfm?brand=3&wheel=297
DIRTYDOG8-M.jpg

nick81olson

Reaction score
IMO... i say go with 20's... just like morcheez said, with 255/35 its the same height as stock, so if your gonaa rub with them you will rub with 18's aswell.

Ditto to that... I have the DJM 3/3 and I have yet to rub with my 20x9 wheels and 255/35r20 tires... speedo it correct and life is good !!! GO WITH 20s.. YOU will love them...

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

shook

Reaction score
Ditto to that... I have the DJM 3/3 and I have yet to rub with my 20x9 wheels and 255/35r20 tires... speedo it correct and life is good !!! GO WITH 20s.. YOU will love them...

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Wow, nice looking truck man :top:

Shanes56

Reaction score
to make up for the .02% speed loss just take your CD case out of your truck that should about even that out.:top:

CBRBob

Reaction score
As stated before, the larger wheels move the mass farther to the outside. a 255-18 may weight more than a 255-20 because the sidewall is shorter. The 20 may have a lighter weight as well, but WHERE the weight is will make the difference. The farther out the weight, the worse the acceleration/braking/handling.

As long as the offset is similar and the overall width and diameter are as well, a 15" wheel or a 24" wheel/tire will fit(yes i know brake size etc.). Typically, the smaller wheel tends to accelerate faster as the mass is more centralized.

xtoplinex

Reaction score
I knew I've seen these wheels somewhere. I keep seeing them on those big BMWs and they always looked familiar. Are these luxury wheels? They look nice.

Those are the EXE wheels...they are the same thing as Axis wheels.

fuseaku

Reaction score
You guys have a good argument on both sides... which has probably confused me even more and has made my next wheel decision harder. lol Oh well, I'll stick with the stockers until I can afford something different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom