Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1st Gen Projectors+HID+Eyelids & Hello

Q

Qwiegybow

I've been reading these forums for a while and have read lots of good information so I decided to post and say hi as well as share my experience with my current mod. Somebody a while ago posted about a bsp X-Runner that was always seen at Best Buy in Baytown Texas. Well that was me and yes I worked there. Errr....did work there, long story. Its a 06 and I ordered it right off the factory line and never looked back. Ive been happy with the truck ever since and people are always asking me what kind of truck it is. Anyways, onto the mod.

I've been wanting to get HIDs for a long time but I didn't want to do it the wrong way. I see way too many people on the road who just throw the cheap conversion kits in their stock headlights and call it a day. After tons of researching I see now how that's a big no no and I couldn't agree more. I didn't want to go that route. If I was going to add HIDs I was going to put in a projector lamp at least and not blind the oncoming traffic and my lights were going to be white NOT blue!

I looked around eBay and there seems to be 3 different styles currently and I didn't like the last two that much and I liked the first gens but I hated those stupid 3 led lights and that weird eyebrow light. When I saw someone selling eyelids called t-rex 3 I knew what had to be done. I've only see one other person on here put eyelids on these but their not the new t-rex 3s.

I realized after writing all this i had to have 10 forums posts to post any links or pictures. Unfortunately, you'll have to copy and paste all of em or just go to the end to see the final results. I also had to take one of the w's out otherwise it would be picked up as a link. Again scroll to the bottom if you just want to see the results.

I ordered everything and waited for it to come in and here are the lights by themselves.
ww.tinypic.com/r/29dbm0m/5
From left to right is the Parking light, HID projector (low beam), halogen (high beam), turn signal and then on top are those gay 3 led lights and eyebrow light.
ww.tinypic.com/r/jqg4t3/5

It covers up mostly everything except for a tiny bit of the last led. I tried different ways of putting it on but it just wouldn't look right. So i settle for a small bit showing. You probably wont even see it at night.

Here is the back, the wiring looks like a mess. And in the top you'll see the wiring for those led lights.
ww.tinypic.com/r/1zlekx0/5
ww.tinypic.com/r/2jbmr29/5

First things first I cut all the wires that went with the top leds and threw it away! Good ridden!
ww.tinypic.com/r/243rd3d/5

Much nicer and cleaner. Next I had to tackle the weird h1 lights with a h4 socket. The manufacture used two regular h1 bulbs for both the hi-beam and low beam and then wired them into a h4 socket plug. Here's what that looked like.
ww.tinypic.com/r/1gt2eg/5
ww.tinypic.com/r/dr8ark/5

Since the socket for the light bulb was h1 i had to figure out how to wire a h1 into a h4 plug. I figured out that the black was the same for both but the blue was the low beam and the red was for the high beam. So I cut the black and blue wires attaching to the h1 bulb. Here is that.
ww.tinypic.com/r/2ce6vzo/5

I also needed to cut the ends of off the HID power kit.
ww.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q1vyau&s=5

Now all I had to do was solder the two wires together and use heat shrink to keep it water tight. I wired the halos into the same power. I know your supposed to wire into your parking light but I didn't want to mess with my factor wiring. Call em crazy. I know this means the halos will only be on when the hid is on and not when the high beam is but Ill probably rarely use the high beams.
ww.tinypic.com/r/2w59kcm/5

Now I had to tackle the issue with the H1 socket for the projector. Here is what the socket looks like.
ww.tinypic.com/r/35hn72e/5

The problem is the hid bulb wont fit in the up and down. The white part that extends the length of the bulb had to be turned sideways and fit in that notch that they made. Here is what that looks like.
ww.tinypic.com/r/2wexdoj/5

I think you can make that out. However, there is a major problem with this. The two bumps on the typical h1 bulb don't line up now!! Since the bulb was turned sideways the bump wont fit into that hole next to the rectangle opening. So now the bulb was rocking in the socket. Not good! So took a pair of pliers and carefully cut off the bumps to make them smooth as possible.
ww.tinypic.com/r/2lryw9/5

Now it would fit tight against the the socket and when you put that latch across it was so snug the bulb wasn't going to move at all. I cut a hole in the rubber socket for the two wires from the hid.
ww.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rz84sw&s=5

Finally, i was done. Now I had to focus painting the eyelids. I bought some BSP paint from express paint. A little pricey but worth it. I painted them twice and used a clear coat but every time I used the clear coat it was giving the eyelids a weird white matte finish, even after they dried. As you can see they came out dull.
ww.tinypic.com/r/j13n2g/5

I'm not a pro at painting by any means. So I sanded off everything I could and started over. I added three coats of paint and light sprayed the clear coat from a far distance. this time it was clear and didn't make this matte finish.

From here the lights went in like any other light, hooked up the HIDs like normal. I'm not gonna post pictures because its the same as any other light or hid kit. I decided to use spray-on adhesive instead of double sided tape. I just didn't think it would hold that well and I didn't want to use that very think padded tape because the eyelid wouldn't sit flush. So considering its basically plastic on plastic I figured spray on adhesive would do the trick. Sure enough after putting on its not going anywhere any time soon. Heres the finish product.

ww.tinypic.com/r/1g629v/5
ww.tinypic.com/r/10hr24h/5

Yes, I know my car is dirty. And I know yall are dying for some night shots. BTW they are 6000k, I wanted 4300 but the place i got them didn't have that. 6000k is bright and white enough though.

ww.tinypic.com/r/11t1yyr/5

I'm extremely impressed with the output and cut off. Ive seen some cheap projectors have a very crappy cut off. I was very surprised it was as sharp as it is. There is a little level adjustment that needs but that's minor. Overall Im happy with it. I would have liked the eyelids to cover the last big of that led but it will do for now. I'm also going to buy fog lights that shine white so they match. Looks a little odd with white headlights and yellowish fogs.

My next mod I think I'm going to change the tails out. Im gonna get these.

ww.tinypic.com/r/2lnea2a/5

I'm gonna open them like you would with the bhlm for the headlights. And spray paint it BSP so it matches the color of the truck and looks like it came from the factory like that. At least that's the idea.

Let me know if you like the mod. Thanks.

-Jeff-

X-roller

Reaction score
Nice little write up. The pics work only if you put an extra "w" in the link provided to make it www. I just modded mine to fit an H4 bulb and vuola! HIDs and projectors. THESE PROJECTORS ARE HORRIBLE though. IMO. if it wasn't for my fog lights I would not be able to see sh*t.

Top Bottom