Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2006 X-Runner Suspension Set Up for Hauling Motorcycles

kneedraggerdude

Reaction score
Hi.. im new to X-Runners as well as forums.. Im trying to figure out and purchase the best suspension set up for the truck I just bought (2006 X-Runner). I will be using it primarily to commute and to transport motorcycles. It currently has a "sittin sic" lowering kit on it- 1.75" lowering springs in the front and a 2" block lowering kit in the rear. It currently bottoms out VERY easily with a motorcycle in the back. I would like to put air bags on the back and have them set up to work with an air lift kit with a small compressor so I can add or remove air to the air bags from the cab when I need the rear stiffer with a bike in the back for transport. As well as the added benefit of being able to lower the tailgate height by letting the air out of the bags for easier loading and unloading. If I can avoid putting new shocks on that would be my first preference but Im not opposed to it if necessary. Few questions:

-Would new shocks be recommended with what I am trying to accomplish? If so which ones?

-I dont think I need to do anything to the front. The rear is what is bottoming out under load. But im open to input.

-Can I use an air bag suspension set up in the back and still retain the current 2" lowering blocks? (this would allow me to let the air out of the bags when loading/unloading a motorcycle and take the bed height down as low as possible for better ramp angle) Or do I need to take out the lowering blocks to use the airbags?

-Any recommendations for which air lift compressor kit and air bag kit to use? Here is what I was thinking (if you plug rhese titles into ebay the auction will come up- I cant post links) :

1. Air Lift Bag Control Kit Guage Switch Compressor 25804

2. 2410 Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags Kit Toyota Tacoma 2005-2011

-Any input would be very appreciated! I just dont want to buy the wrong stuff and either find out later I should have bought something else or buy it and have it not work. Thanks!

justin13703

Reaction score
I dont know much about the air lift setups but they have been done on here before and from what I have read they work pretty well. If I were you, I would make sure that when they did the sittin sic drop, they put on the low pro bumpstops in the rear. If they did, and its still bottoming out, you can actually remove the bump stop bracket and relocate the bump stop to the frame. This will give you alot more travel. There is a thread on here about removing that bracket. Also, I would recommend doing the QA1 shocks, they are adjustable and you can turn them up when you have a load and turn them back down when you dont.

AmyGuyClayton

Reaction score
Yes you can put airbags on your truck with the blocks. Im not that familiar with air bag applications, but i know there are several members with them.

I agree with checking to see if you have the bump stops. If they are the correct ones they will be red. They give you more clearance.

QA1 shocks would solve your problem with your extra weight and give you a softer ride in the rear. They are 18 valving adjustable. So when you have a load you can crank them up to support your load and set them back for your ride comfort for daily driving.

The QA1's are $289.99 a set plus $19.50 flat rate shipping (shipping charges are different outside of US)

We travel alot with our X-Runner with a full bed of race equipment all the time and we dont have a problem with bottoming out with the QA1's set right.

We also sometimes haul a full size Honda Racher 4 Wheeler and also do not have a problem with the weight.

Hope this helps.

Limitless

Reaction score
I haul my motorcycle all the time as well and have the sittin sic track drop. The biggest help was the QA1's that you can still get from XII Performance (used to be sittin sic). Whenever you haul the bike just crank up the shocks accordingly and it should help with bottoming out. I think mines the 16 adjustable one, where i run at about 7 normally and about 11 with the bike in the back. Also helps extend the life of the mono leafs.

Mortifer

Reaction score
Great thread with more info on air bags- www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=850305

I installed a set of Air lift bags a week ago and love them (used them once so far with the trailer and a bike in the bed and they are awesome!)
I got'm from Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59564/

It makes a world of difference pulling a full trailer, never bottoms out, feels very solid.
My truck has stock shocks and isn't lowered.

I will throw on the all in one compressor kit next and be set - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-25854/

I apparently tightened one of the air fittings too much and spun the brass fitting in the plastic top cap, shame they're not better adhered, of course it leaks.
I called and they're sending me a new one under warranty and I'll send the old one back. Very cool they take care of their customers.

kneedraggerdude

Reaction score
I got the same kit and trying to install today. I am having trouble with the bags hitting the stabilizer bar in the back on both sides. I have a picture on my phone but not sure how to post it. Any feedback would be helpful.

triumphx

Reaction score
Talk to cbrbob(I think that's his name) he has the same kit and modified it to work

Top Bottom