Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2008 Roush 4.6L vs. 2011 5.0L Mustang

WCD

Reaction score
Lol, some of these posts are funny.

The contrarian in me says I'll never own a 'Stang because it's too popular. That's a big reason why I bought a Buell instead of a 600. BUT, the 'Stang, as currently available, is a very nice value for a horsepower junkie in much the same way a Japanese 600 is for a motorcycle performance junkie.

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Yes the ford is economical HP and has a great aftermarket selection. But they drive like Crap! The suspention is dated and cheap, and they are a dime a dozen on the road.

I cant honestly compare these two cars side by side. One is a road race car and the other is an American muscle drag car.
BTW, the stock Skyline engine/ transmission can take an amazing amount of boost. So if you would like to compare the $ to upgrade vs the Mustang, it wouldn't be as far off as you would think.

My car drives like a dream, and once I finish the suspension, it should be even better (at least based on reviews I've read).

I would bet that if we pulled data regarding the output of the two motors, the Coyote would perform better, or at the very least put up a very close fight.

American muscle drag car? Well its good at that too, but its versatility in motor sports extends beyond that. It has been doing VERY well in many of the road course events across the country. Not to mention the Motortrend road course comparison between the 5.0L and a 2011 M3. It did very well.

Boss 302R - 1st and 2nd place for Grand-Am race at Mid-Ohio
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/...gs-qualify-1-2-for-grand-am-race-at-mid-ohio/

Boss 302 mustang 3rd place finish - Grand-Am at New Jersey
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/...grand-am-victory-of-the-season-at-new-jersey/

2nd Place finish - Road America
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/...ng-boss-302r-finishes-second-at-road-america/

Mustang has pole position for last World Challenge Race at Road Atlanta
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/...challenge-race-of-the-season-at-road-atlanta/

BTW Chevy is better:adore:. I have no idea why everyone is talking about these mustangs so much.

It is very difficult to have any kind of reasonable debate with people that are so biased to one company/vendor/brand/name/etc.

Some of the dumbest debates I've seen have been between the Big 3 owners, who swear up and down their brand is better because they say so. And they generally make bogus claims of "its cheap", "its built like crap", "I owned one 20 years ago and it broke down all the time". Things like that which carry absolutely no weight in a debate. Debates should be about fact more then opinion.

So rarely are any 'facts' provided. Above case is perfect example "chevy is better." End of statement. Biased person is biased.

The reason there is all this 'talk' about them, is because they are outperforming all of its competition and designed to fit the middle-class income bracket. In a performance market that has been for a long time dominated by the Camaro, the Mustang is finally back on top. So its getting a lot of attention for that.

huh not sure what a evo pulls but the xr is at .99 as where the gt pulls .94

Truck Trend testing - 0.89
http://www.trucktrend.com/oftheyear/truck/163_0504_2005_toyota_tacoma/x_runner.html

Toyota claiming 0.9
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/tacoma/2005/2004-chicago-2005-toyota-tacoma-x-runner.html
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2005/toyota/tacoma/firstdrive/page4.html

TRD XR - 0.99
XR - 0.97
But also shows that the stock XR running a 16 sec 1/4 mile when we all know its capable of touching 14's. And it having a 60-0 stopping distance 22' better then the TRD XR (with 4 wheel BBK). I find that data here is innaccurate and inconsistent, there fore not reliable.

They've already tried IRS with the Cobra. The "antiquated" suspension choice for the 'Stang is a cost/benefit thing. I don't have the link, but I've read the only reason they don't do IRS is because it adds 5K to the price of the car.

So the question is, would the target demographic for that car be willing to pay 5K more for IRS? So far, Ford must think the answer is no. But I bet they go back to it in the future.

The current rumor is on the redesign of the 2014 Mustang, is that it will come with IRS.

As ive said before amazingly enough (and I would of never thought his to be true); way more people approach me and are genuinely interested in my Mustang then my XR.

I have to agree with this statement as well. I have had more conversations with random people about my car (in less then a year of ownership) then I did in the 3.5 of owning my X. I have also found that the people that do approach me are much more intelligent and familiar with the vehicle and have genuine questions/comments. Where as in the X (and I know this has happened to many others here), is that it is mistaken for a Chevy Xtreme.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
you do realize the gtr is gonna destroy that mustang in a roll race right?

8.9 - 150 mustang

8.9 - 169 gtr.....

Hmmm... Imagine if that GTR had slicks like the mustang does.... that gtr would make that mustang look slow.... easy low 8s maybe even a high 7

bahahaha... you should strongly think about what you just said.... I can think of plenty of foreign cars that are cheap to build and would destroy a new 5.0 mustang even boosted.

240sx is one of the best budget builds you can have for the money...

Shell - 2k
RB26 - 10k installed
Drop another 15k on building it - destroys a mustang and earns way more respect than a mustang ever will man...

sorry to say but mustangs are played out in my eyes.... No one really gets impressed anymore to see those things in the single digits... at least not here anyways.... people don't give much respect to mustang owners out here because they are so cheap to build.... I can easily go out and buy an older 5.0 and make it run 9s... but why should i? Everyone and there mom has done it... It's played....

So you think that GTR in the 9s is running all season skinny street tires in that video or what dude rofl? I guarantee they are running some type of fat ass tire on all 4 with a DR like compound.

Furthermore you are saying that if the GTR ran slicks (if its not already) it would drop 1-2 seconds in the 1/4 mile!!? LOL! You have no clue in regards to what you are talking about. No way in ****ing hell would a set of tires drop that kind of time off your ET going that fast.

Go install four wheel slicks, launching that ****er at redline, and hope to god your $20,000.00 transmission holds.

Sorry the mustang has slicks on it, didn't realize that was an unfair advantage to the AWD GTR running 345 profile tires rofl.

We are discussing modern day production cars for purchase and whats available; not every car from the distant past that was fast too.

If you want to play that game I can take a old ass civic, cut every last part of metal that I don't need out of until its a shell of a car, spray the hell out of it and rape a lot of shit all for probably under 3,000 bucks lol. So is my shitbox of a contraption legendary then too?

If you buy a car to earn you respect (lol?) what the hell are you doing driving around an X-Runner?

So instead of buying a car that can easily be made fast - you will spend large amounts of money on a Tacoma pickup truck to maybe break low 12s and gain respect in the process rofl.

Are you stupid or rich? Or both? :laugh: If you want a fast car, you start out with a fast platform and make it faster.

The realm of practicality has been reached on the XR.

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
you do realize the gtr is gonna destroy that mustang in a roll race right?

8.9 - 150 mustang

8.9 - 169 gtr.....

Hmmm... Imagine if that GTR had slicks like the mustang does.... that gtr would make that mustang look slow.... easy low 8s maybe even a high 7

You think the GTR is running 8.9's on street tires? AMS said that it was running DRs. They posted a 1.67 60' time. So there is still some ET left, but now you have the next problem... blowing up that transmission. How much harder can it launch without breaking?

But I guess since you've already spent over $150 grand on the car, whats another $20k for a stronger transmission?

sorry to say but mustangs are played out in my eyes.... No one really gets impressed anymore to see those things in the single digits... at least not here anyways.... people don't give much respect to mustang owners out here because they are so cheap to build.... I can easily go out and buy an older 5.0 and make it run 9s... but why should i? Everyone and there mom has done it... It's played....

Well they are one of the longer (if not the longest) running model car. Car has been around nearly 50 years. Be kind of hard to keep anything that has been around that long from not being played out.

I like the part that no one is impressed with single digits anymore... like all of a sudden 9 sec 1/4 mile isn't fast.

You say that the 240 is cheap to build and gets tons of respect, but mustangs are cheap to build, so noone respects them... :laugh: Think about that one for a second.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
i love it how any time the 5.slow is brought up, the thread turns into a DS vs. X-Roller battle.

I really dont a give a crap about trap speeds and ETAs, what really intreged me about the new stangs, is the countered over aspect of it...

I like the sound/set up of the mustang plat-forum (05-10) for drifting. I've read/heard from a few people, its actually a very balanced and predicable, well behaved car, even once its pass its limit, and completely crossed up. :top: I'd love to take one out sliding at an event. especially a 5.slow. At the bare minimum, a ride along. :smile:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Hey I was just posting up a video bro until Xtroller came along.

I love the way this car looks, I love the power, I love the aftermarket, I love the transmission, I love the interior, I love the features, hmmm... not much I dont like about this car.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
You say that the 240 is cheap to build and gets tons of respect, but mustangs are cheap to build, so noone respects them... :laugh: Think about that one for a second.

yah, noticed that also, X-runnnit, but i was going to try and let it go...

240sx's aren't played out....AT ALL....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :stupid:

"Oh sweet, you drift???? what do you drive? "
"S13, with a SR swap and coil overs."

Yah, never heard of that being done before....:rolleyez:

Reason #1 for why i drift an X-Runner.

No one has done, (all in), that aware of. You wanna talk about respect, X-Roller, you should hear the stuff people say to me when i went up to LA, did a drift event, and was better then 95% of the Amateur 240's out there...

If some one where to come up to me, and say they slide a 5.0, i'd give them mad props...why? because its different...:smile:

Hey I was just posting up a video bro until Xtroller came along.

I love the way this car looks, I love the power, I love the aftermarket, I love the transmission, I love the interior, I love the features, hmmm... not much I dont like about this car.

I aint giving yah shit bro:eviltongue: Your responding with great counter arguments, and standing up for yo ride! :smile: You have owned both, so realistically, only you and X-Runnit can really vouche and have an actual opinion on both. Hence why i wanna to slide one, before i make my 2 cents on how good/bad it is.:top:

Im just loling at how often this happens...

really though....GTR vs 5.0....not even in the same county, let alone ball park...:hmmmm2:

Last edited:

brownbrown

Reaction score
My car drives like a dream, and once I finish the suspension, it should be even better (at least based on reviews I've read).

I would bet that if we pulled data regarding the output of the two motors, the Coyote would perform better, or at the very least put up a very close fight.
Once you comlete the suspention it probably ride better, But the Live rear axel is still going to be dated technology and a sacrifice Ford made.

American muscle drag car? Well its good at that too, but its versatility in motor sports extends beyond that. It has been doing VERY well in many of the road course events across the country. Not to mention the Motortrend road course comparison between the 5.0L and a 2011 M3. It did very well.
Of course it has. It's not a BAD car in any sense. But again, it was not built with dominating road course in mind. Hence Ford taking the chap route on suspention.

All of these cars were Highly modded for road course driving.

It is very difficult to have any kind of reasonable debate with people that are so biased to one company/vendor/brand/name/etc.

Some of the dumbest debates I've seen have been between the Big 3 owners, who swear up and down their brand is better because they say so. And they generally make bogus claims of "its cheap", "its built like crap", "I owned one 20 years ago and it broke down all the time". Things like that which carry absolutely no weight in a debate. Debates should be about fact more then opinion.
So rarely are any 'facts' provided. Above case is perfect example "chevy is better." End of statement. Biased person is biased.
I am a GM Guy, But that statement was meant as a Joke. I may like to buy GM products, But by no means does it mean I think Ford's really suck.... Even if they do :laugh:, And History does note that Power wise GM and won the majority.

The reason there is all this 'talk' about them, is because they are outperforming all of its competition and designed to fit the middle-class income bracket. In a performance market that has been for a long time dominated by the Camaro, the Mustang is finally back on top. So its getting a lot of attention for that.
The Only Reason the Mustang is back on top is because they had almost an entire decade to put out F-body's without any competition. Dodge, and GM were almost totally out of the F-body business. They were the ONLY option for Muscle cars, and that made their sales Explode.
Now that the Camaro, Challenger are in the game, Ford has done EXCEPTIONAL in regards to not being back of the pack. When the Camaro came out again, the V-6 had more hp than the mustang GT (Ford had been lazy since they had the market cornered, making V8's with less power than the Japanse v6's), But Ford didnt take this laying down. They actually stepped up their game.

The current rumor is on the redesign of the 2014 Mustang, is that it will come with IRS.
That is what they need to be stock and more competitive.

X-roller

Reaction score
I can vouche for that 240sx claim. this guy isnt a "drifter"...he built his for...yes...i know...freeway pulls...:rolleyez: His money, what ever...fastest i have seen him run on a track, was a 7.48 @110 in 1/8th, with 235 wide, DOT tires. :dontknow:

stock z32 tranny
stock Q45 rear end.
Stock block (KA24DE) w/ forged rods+pistons.
OEM ECU, hacked (what he does for a living)
I cant recall the turbo model/specs....but its @45 psi, and laying down a hair over 700 at the wheels. :rockon:

his car, stock g35 rims, 1996 240sx, OEM paint and deck lid spoiler, lowered 1.5"s...it looks stock...hes put about 25k into his car. Currently rebuilding it for the magic 1k hp number, NAWZ will be used.

see, his car is bad ass, cause it looks stock, and he can/embarrassed many a rich folk, in his car. It turns heads not because it looks fast, but because it will light up the back tires @ over 100mph...:rockon:trust me, it was one of the scariest moments of my life. So. Much. Boost. :biggrin:

:ahhhhh: not gonna lie...that would scare the piss outta me... lol.

So you think that GTR in the 9s is running all season skinny street tires in that video or what dude rofl? I guarantee they are running some type of fat ass tire on all 4 with a DR like compound.

Furthermore you are saying that if the GTR ran slicks (if its not already) it would drop 1-2 seconds in the 1/4 mile!!? LOL! You have no clue in regards to what you are talking about. No way in ****ing hell would a set of tires drop that kind of time off your ET going that fast.

Go install four wheel slicks, launching that ****er at redline, and hope to god your $20,000.00 transmission holds.

Sorry the mustang has slicks on it, didn't realize that was an unfair advantage to the AWD GTR running 345 profile tires rofl.

We are discussing modern day production cars for purchase and whats available; not every car from the distant past that was fast too.

If you want to play that game I can take a old ass civic, cut every last part of metal that I don't need out of until its a shell of a car, spray the hell out of it and rape a lot of shit all for probably under 3,000 bucks lol. So is my shitbox of a contraption legendary then too?

If you buy a car to earn you respect (lol?) what the hell are you doing driving around an X-Runner?

So instead of buying a car that can easily be made fast - you will spend large amounts of money on a Tacoma pickup truck to maybe break low 12s and gain respect in the process rofl.

Are you stupid or rich? Or both? :laugh: If you want a fast car, you start out with a fast platform and make it faster.

The realm of practicality has been reached on the XR.

I love how you add to twist stories to make it seem like you are the smart one...

First off... learn your math.... I said low 8 or high 7. Period. Total 1 Second at most!

Second of all if a car that is AWD! is trapping higher than a rwd car what does that say about the car or driver? :stupid:

1. Driver sucks
2. Sixty foot is horrible
3. traction problems

If that GTR is running some semi decent tires that doesn't matter once you get into 1000 plus HP!.... Just because it's awd doesn't put it at a huge advantage at that type of power man. You should know that.... what matters is gearing it right or getting the right set of treads. As you can see the Mustang hooks like the pavement is made out glue but the gtr spins like hell out of the whole. An AWD car in quarter mile should not be trapping higher than rwd car reasons on why evos get into high 12s with a 102 trap speed....

Ok onto the civic comment. Played. Have you noticed the price of a 240sx is actually going up? Reason being is because they are still wanted and they are becoming harder and harder to find.... just like a supra (everyone knows what gen i'm talking about) You mod a piece of shit then you are gonna have a piece of shit. You roll up in a 240sx and a civic to a car meet and you will see the difference.... It's that simple.

Guess we will see how much respect someone gains when we reach 11s and then 10s.... The people that reached 12s already gained respect for taking there time and effort to get there... that is what makes the difference....

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
yah, noticed that also, X-runnnit, but i was going to try and let it go...

240sx's aren't played out....AT ALL....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :stupid:

"Oh sweet, you drift???? what do you drive? "
"S13, with a SR swap and coil overs."

Yah, never heard of that being done before....:rolleyez:

Reason #1 for why i drift an X-Runner.

No one has done, (all in), that aware of. You wanna talk about respect, X-Roller, you should hear the stuff people say to me when i went up to LA, did a drift event, and was better then 95% of the Amateur 240's out there...

If some one where to come up to me, and say they slide a 5.0, i'd give them mad props...why? because its different...:smile:

I never said they were played out... just commenting on how xtroller says mustangs don't have any respect because they are cheap to build, yet turns around and says that 240's are cheap to build but they get respect.

I got a buddy that has 3 240s, not one of them are in good running condition. One is rusted all they way through, one has a blown motor (running boost w/o a tune), the other has some other issues. But he loves 240s, and wants to turn one of them into a drift car.

There is what appears to be a pretty reputable drifter that is going to start drifting a new 5.0L. I don't follow drifting much, but maybe you can appreciate this more then I can.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...go-drifting-as-new-vaughn-gittin-jr-ride.html

I aint giving yah shit bro:eviltongue: Your responding with great counter arguments, and standing up for yo ride! :smile: You have owned both, so realistically, only you and X-Runnit can really vouche and have an actual opinion on both. Hence why i wanna to slide one, before i make my 2 cents on how good/bad it is.:top:

Im just loling at how often this happens...

really though....GTR vs 5.0....not even in the same county, let alone ball park...:hmmmm2:

I'm going to hold on to this... I've got some home improvement projects coming up that will delay my boost... but after that. I'm gonna make it a point to run one.

:biggrin:

X-roller

Reaction score
I just love bashing the rustangs because yeah they are played out... That mustang you posted jason is the only one that I can think of that drifts and he does a damn good job...I guess he finally upgraded it... There is also a GTO currently trying to get his rep up in the drift scene but he needs to learn a lot because fat cars like that don't do very well in drift events... I like things that are different just like everyone else does... If it's different its gonna grab your attention which is why the guy that drifts that rustang gets a lot of respect...he is one of the few that is able to compete but he does lose a lot because you need small cars to get into the drift scene.... I hate straight line cars which is one of the main reasons I hate mustangs... all you hear is how fast they went down a quarter mile... cool brah... :top: do something different... hell if you go out to a drift event and stage in it i'll give you mad respect for that but if you make your mustang go 9s in a quarter i'm just gonna give a shoulder shrug and a high five... I follow the car scene a lot in all aspects. Drift, autox, and drag... But when you only see the rustang in straight line events it gets played! Until I see some more rustangs doing autox or drift events those things will be on my shit list.... just like a lot of other people think of them... it's not all about straight lines...

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I never said they were played out... just commenting on how xtroller says mustangs don't have any respect because they are cheap to build, yet turns around and says that 240's are cheap to build but they get respect.

I got a buddy that has 3 240s, not one of them are in good running condition. One is rusted all they way through, one has a blown motor (running boost w/o a tune), the other has some other issues. But he loves 240s, and wants to turn one of them into a drift car.

There is what appears to be a pretty reputable drifter that is going to start drifting a new 5.0L. I don't follow drifting much, but maybe you can appreciate this more then I can.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...n-jr-ride.html

Nah, i get what your saying. I was actually trying to point out Xtrollers logic (good name)...

wonder why hes rocking the 4.6? Legit, none the less. :top: I wanna try one that's mostly stock, so i can get a basis for how the chassis behaves.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I just love bashing the rustangs because yeah they are played out... That mustang you posted jason is the only one that I can think of that drifts and he does a damn good job...I guess he finally upgraded it... There is also a GTO currently trying to get his rep up in the drift scene but he needs to learn a lot because fat cars like that don't do very well in drift events... I like things that are different just like everyone else does... If it's different its gonna grab your attention which is why the guy that drifts that rustang gets a lot of respect...he is one of the few that is able to compete but he does lose a lot because you need small cars to get into the drift scene.... I hate straight line cars which is one of the main reasons I hate mustangs... all you hear is how fast they went down a quarter mile... cool brah... :top: do something different... hell if you go out to a drift event and stage in it i'll give you mad respect for that but if you make your mustang go 9s in a quarter i'm just gonna give a shoulder shrug and a high five... I follow the car scene a lot in all aspects. Drift, autox, and drag... But when you only see the rustang in straight line events it gets played! Until I see some more rustangs doing autox or drift events those things will be on my shit list.... just like a lot of other people think of them... it's not all about straight lines...

Fat cars? How much does your damn truck weigh? LOL

There are thousands of people all over the world that have already been into drifting, your not a unique club member because you want to drift. You want to do something different? Make up your own type of racing.... :laugh: Everyone knows wtf drifting is because every little rice boy that has watched fast and the furious has been exposed to it.

Drifting is the fastest growing style of racing in America right?

Whats that tell you?... That a bunch of kids that want to be "different" are all doing the same damn shit too. :laugh:

The Mustang is faster in a straight line and faster around a corner then the XR, and plenty of other cars in and above its class; its a very diverse platform. It can not haul a yard of stone though...

So you go ahead and keep your chin up above us Mustang owners because your uniquely drifting your unique X-Runner. :laugh:

When you finally spend enough money to the point where you realize the truck still sucks above 400 HP because its still a damn truck, what are you going to buy?

A Corvette? A Camaro? A Mustang? A Challenger? Evo? STI?

Last edited:

XDsm

Reaction score
I am digging the new 5.0s. I would have got one in a heartbeat if I didn't need the extra doors in back. Plus the trunk is awkward on the new Stangs to get stuff in and out of. Ford really has come around when it comes to build quality with their cars. I think I read though that they are already working on the new Mustang which will be a complete redesign for the 50th anniversary in 2014.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of Vaugh Gitten Jr.? He drifts a Mustang in FD. He is very good and his car is nothing but Bad A$$!

He actually was either top three in the last competition or won.

Weight reduced with all of the handling goodies. That thing will out perform every truck on here, I imagine. Unless said truck owner here has a team and mass sponsorships.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of Vaugh Gitten Jr.? He drifts a Mustang in FD. He is very good and his car is nothing but Bad A$$!

He actually was either top three in the last competition or won.

Weight reduced with all of the handling goodies. That thing will out perform every truck on here, I imagine. Unless said truck owner here has a team and mass sponsorships.

VGJ also took his mustang to japan and the JDM guys fell in love with all the raw power the 5.0 has to offer...:top: there were actually a lot of the D1 drivers throwing him offers for the STANG...

actually VGJ was 1 of the favorites to win FD: After Dark and like many other veterans he was taken out in the top 16...Matt Powers placed 3rd (driving NFS S-14) and securing him a spot for the CHAMPIONSHIP and maybe ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (depending on how Walker Wilkerson does this upcoming weekend at FD: Finals at IRWANDALE SPEEDWAY...Walker's been plagued with mechanical failure the last few events)...the finals were Rhys Millen (Hyundai Factory Sponsorship) vs Darren McNamara (Falken Tire Saturn Sky)...Rhys Millen ended up coming out with the win at FD: Stage 6 showing why he's a former champion and all around BAD @SS in anything he drives...

Top Bottom