Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3/3 install questions / help or advice ??

III

Reaction score
i posted this in the suspension forum too, but perhaps some local advice / da braddahs here can help me out haha.

sup xru, i got a few questions / issues regarding my suspension installation today... any help would be appreciated....

first off the drop was DJM 3" control arms uca/lca fronts, w/ moog ball joints (all brand new), installed these with relative ease, took about 2hrs complete total for one side, 1 hour for the other side. no major issues.

the rears were belltech 3" blocks 2 degree tapered, part# 6202, along with these we put in QA1 shocks 18way adjustable, and energy suspension lowpro bump stops. once again, all brand new.

so heres the issues... the front went ok without a problem till i was driving home after all is said and done... i hear a noise, come to find out its basically tires squealing, namely driver side front from what i can hear. im assuming this is because of a super outta wack toe /canter problem and can be fixed with alignment, is this a safe/correct assumption? (this is my first lowered truck projekt, prior to the xr i had a nissan hardbody that was already lowered, and before that a few acuras and vw's, cars)

continuing with this, the steering wheel is of course crooked as fk while driving, and handling turns was quite a challenge even at not so high speeds. but once again, other than low on air in the tire(s), which has nothing to do with lowering the fronts, im assuming this is an alignment issue. but im open to suggestions on what else it may/could be??

moving on to the rears and this is where im more confused, basically what i was looking for in the beginning was to get as low as possible WITHOUT having to notch. this led me to the DJM 3/3 kit. yes i know many on here say to notch, and while i agree with this for clearance issues, im also worried about state law / insurance issues. (in Hawaii we have some pretty ridiculous rules for this kinda stuff). so i went with 3" blocks for the rear, the belltechs, put em in and all alongside new qa1's and short bumpstops, put it all back together and lower it back down, only to find out the clearance between axle and bumpstop is like .25" ... is this correct ?! ive asked several people on here who have done the 3/3 without notch and they say its fine with qa1 and they dont bottom out etc.... but how can this be with less than a fingers worth of clearance??

so thanks for reading, these are my main issues/questions. my next thought is to try a 2.5" block... other options we've considered was smaller shackles ?? orrr.... ?? im open to ideas.

the thing that gets me is that through all my research regarding this, i've never come across anyone else with the same problem. so did i miss/mess something here, or is it just that everyone who says this is possible without notch has the same very minimal clearance as me ??

thanks again peeps, heeellllppppppppp lol

I<3JDM

Reaction score
Sounds like alignment problems. Taking off the lca is the result. Also you need to redo the steering rods for the toe.
Have you tried to do a home alignment? You can try the string style. I've done some decent home alignment and made my steering wheel straight and the tires wear out evenly. Not laser acurate but it does the job.
This might be a safe way if you not headed to the shop anytime soon.
As far as the notch don't do it, if u getting recon.
Maybe the leaf springs and block method might be good for you. I never heard of shackles and block method but it sounds like it might work. It does with other trucks but I haven't came across a xr with this combo.
Well Gl with the project.

Top Bottom