Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AfterMarket seat! Is it Possible?

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Now I've been thinking about this for a while just now decided to post this question up!Can aftermarket seats be installed in our trucks?I understand there may be some fab work, and I know there are pressusre sensors and everything . Are they transfereable? Plus i'd lke to be able to use the stock base. I want a couple of bride seats,but if it not possible I wont bother with it . Anybody know??

Venomous_X

Reaction score
silly thought, but I bet you could find some seats in a junkyard for an X, or anything similar and hack up those instead of yours :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
My thing is the insurance / liability issue.

Unless your really racing it or tracking it, I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
If i could get a hold a set of junk seats I would go for it ! Im sure it would involve cutting out the senors and take the aftermarket seat apart probably even cutting into th AM seats to reintall the senors ! The stock seats are ok but even reapolstered they dont look that great... As for the airbag thing not sure

BlackCat

Reaction score
How does insurance factor in?

I thought modifying the Factory Airbag setup was more about legalities.

:dontknow:

There was a previous posting on this topic, basically, if the seat were modified or replaced with an aftermarket items and there was an accident, the question is if insurance will pay out in the event of an accident where the modification to the seats played a role in injuries sustained by the occupants.

Car seats play a much bigger role in vehicle safety than you think. There are even Federal laws regarding the safety provided by car seats (seat position retention, seat belt anchor retention, seat back angle retention, etc, etc). It's even bigger now, especially with the passenger airbag sensors and the fact that the seatbelt anchors are also built into the seats. The 09's also add side impact airbags built into the seats.

As far as hacking into the wiring for the sensors and air bags, don't even go there. Car companies spend millions on air bag deployment systems - you want that bag to go off when it's supposed to. But, if a bag accidentally deploys (due to a hacked up wire job), you're looking at a thousand plus for replacements - and if it's the seat bags that deploy, you'll need new seats since the bag deployment will shred the seat fabric apart.

If the truck is a daily driver or an otherwise dedicated street vehicle, I wouldn't bother.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I looked under the both seats and nothing appears to be internal! However the passenger seat has a lot more wiring underneathe it. Plus the set up of the wiring is totally different between the drivers and passengers seats . So who knows this swap may be possible. However I have seen them take a totally factory seat and doctor it a bit to make it look after market though .Putting in new foam and shaping it to the look of AEM Seats .

Top Bottom