Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alcohol to pass emissions?

Baggins44

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this? I have an 89 Itasca rv that failed emissions, was told it might work.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
alcohol? never heard of that working... I have heard of ppl putting acetone in their fuel.. but i wouldn't recommend it..

STONER-X

Reaction score
it depends what it is failing for....

if it is failing because it has a bad cat then only a new cat will help you pass....

check all the vacuum lines
how old is the gas in the tank? freshen it up and put some 93 oct (what ever yall got) in it
get all the breather tubes and recirculation lines hooked up....

just try to make it as close to stock as you can... if it isn't..

does it burn oil? put some 20/50 in it to make the blow by less
are the spark plugs and wires in good shape?...

all the small stuff makes a big difference....
i have a 1991 civic with 278,000 miles.. before i get it inspected i give everything a once over.. only got four more years!!! after the inspection that was due in june lol ... then there will be no more emission test

Baggins44

Reaction score
Just had a tune up, its an 89 Chevy 454. The hydrocarbons are to high.

STONER-X

Reaction score
i would start with your cat-converter...

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter[/ame]

if everything is fine with the motor... good fuel, clean firing, no burning oil, yad yad yad... the last line for removing the "bad stuff" is the cat...

Vince77

Reaction score
I asked one of the smog guys here at work, he said cat also.

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
Also, get that cat good and hot. See if they'll let you pull straight in when you get there.

The hotter the cat is, the better it works.

azburnin

Reaction score
Also, get that cat good and hot. See if they'll let you pull straight in when you get there.

The hotter the cat is, the better it works.

Just start reving up the motor hard core before going in lol!

Edgeman

Reaction score
Just had a tune up, its an 89 Chevy 454. The hydrocarbons are to high.

High HC means you're putting unburnt fuel down your exhaust pipe, and the most common cause is a fault in your ignition system. Check your plug wires, distributor (if it has one), coil, and possibly the ignition timing.

There is a possibility this is caused by excessive oil consumpion due to worn rings or valve guides.

Good hunting!

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
You know that Arizona is one of the few states that accepts "Collector Vehicle" registration/insurance right? Go to Hagerty or American collectors insurance (I went with ACI as they're cheaper and less picky) and as long as you have a main vehicle/DD you can register the RV as a "collectors vehicle" and say it's a resto project etc. There are NO make, model or year discriminations either, so basically anything goes, so long as it's not your sole means of transportation and you can provide proof of your other vehicle.

This will allow you to be emissions exempt and then you can pull all that smog shit off (on an RV I'd leave the EGR intact for fuel economy though). For my Rustang the insurance was only $120 for an entire year and tags were $85 for 5 years (no thats not a typo, 5 years!). It's totally legit and for some dumb reason, hardly anyone knows about this and very few people take advantage of this awesome loophole. Now get to it!

Top Bottom