Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AMD or Intel?

Which processor should I go with?

• Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dekar12

Reaction score
Man its gonna be hard to test these rigs like this.

Why so much voltage, you should be able to run less then that no?

I can go lower, but it is not 100% stable at load.

The voltage is still under Intel's max on their spec sheets so to me it is not a big deal.

jaytweez

Reaction score
If all you are looking for is mainly entertainment and possible gaming, why do you want a quad core processor? Youd be better off getting a core 2 duo for the same price. As long as it is above 3.0 ghz. If you are watching a movie and not using the pc for anything else at the exact same time, youd be wasting the other 3 cores. Quad core processors are for multitasking. My htpc is the intel 8400 core 2 duo and it processes blu-ray very well. Glad I didnt get quad.

Ohh, Im an IT proffesional and Ive built thousands of pcs and servers. just my .02
Good Luck.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I know, its 3 years old lol. Im looking at new processors but if Im going to get a new one, im going to get a GOOD one and those are about $400 lol

The best performing processor on the market is under $300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=i7_920-_-19-115-202-_-Product

There are other processors out there that are faster stock than the 920, but they all pale in comparison to the 920's overclocking capabilities. If that doesn't do it for you, maybe the 1700+ user reviews while maintaining a five egg rating, and the 5x winner of customer choice award will.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
The best performing processor on the market is under $300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=i7_920-_-19-115-202-_-Product

There are other processors out there that are faster stock than the 920, but they all pale in comparison to the 920's overclocking capabilities. If that doesn't do it for you, maybe the 1700+ user reviews while maintaining a five egg rating, and the 5x winner of customer choice award will.

Based on his previous posts, I can almost guarantee overclocking is not something he's gonna be doing (at least not on his own, lol).

Ohh, Im an IT proffesional and Ive built thousands of pcs and servers. just my .02
Good Luck.

Thousands is a lot... you're good :smile:

Last edited:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Billions?! pfft... Only time you overclock anything is when you set the time on your microwave wrong.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Man the D0 i7s take some low volts at decent clocks.

I am running 4.1 GHz with Hyperthreading & Turbo Boost enabled on only 1.25V - Prime95 64 & Linx stable.

2 Hours on prime (max heat settings) with 47*C running temps (53 peak on two cores).

Little voltage bump up from 1.25 got me 4.2 w/Hyperthreading & Turbo Boost Prime & Linx Stable.

i7FTW.jpg

Last edited:

Dekar12

Reaction score
Nice overclock!

What motherboard are you running and do you know have your chip info for like the date it was made, etc?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Nice overclock!

What motherboard are you running and do you know have your chip info for like the date it was made, etc?

It was a retail box from the egg, box is at the shop.

All the D0 stepping i7s seems to really clock well with minimal voltage.

I am really not running any voltage on ICH/IOH cores either - just a bare minimum bump.

The QPI/VTT got the biggest increase but everything is still within OEM voltage spec!

The board is a Gigabyte Extreme X58 UD7 I have a MIPS fusion watercooling block on the way to replace the crap/restrictive stock unified north-bridge waterblock.

Id have to use a lighter memory base clock for the next big leap, right now its perfect. I am running my DDR3-1600 right at 1600 MHz @ 8x with tight timings at 4.2 GHz.

Any higher then this she really wants a 6x BCLK - which means id have to go the next big leap to bring RAM speed back up (IMO not worth the stability decrease or heat increase).

I poked her up into the 4.3-4.4 area briefly but it wasn't stable with that 8x Mem BCLK, with some tweaking im sure shed run 4.4-4.5 no problems; just really isnt a point.

Maybe when cheaper faster DDR3 comes out I will push for higher numbers.

Right now the ratios are perfect, cool, and stable so I think ive found my home for the time being.

I am happy at a low volt 4.2 GHz daily driver.

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Chip: i7 920

Stepping: D0
Product Code: BX80601920
Batch #: 3943A529

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I still have no idea what overclocking really means....I fail :fail:

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I still have no idea what overclocking really means....I fail :fail:

Simple terms, you have a 2.8GHz processor, then you change voltage, and a multitude of other settings inside your BIOS to make that processor run at 3.0GHz. That is overclocking. There is a lot more to it than that, but it is simply making your equipment run at faster speeds than spec, at optimal voltages. Kinda what we do to our trucks by modding/tuning them.

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Pretty great deal right there. I'd get some extra fans on order if you plan on doing any type of overclocking. :top:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Pretty great deal right there. I'd get some extra fans on order if you plan on doing any type of overclocking. :top:

Not really planning on doing type of overclocking...at least not right now anyways.

But I am gonna order one more fan for the top

Top Bottom