Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amsoil or Redline mt-90

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the 75w-90NS, in the trucks which have the true limited slip, it will act much more grabby like a posi trac.

For those with limited slip diffs I'd recommend staying away from the "NS" Redline has a 75w-90 that has the limited slip modifiers already in it, that's what I used and have had great results. The NS would have to be paired with LS additive.

PS: Yes I know it's an old thread, just felt like adding my $.02 for anyone that uses this thread as a reference. :top:

X-Pablo

Reaction score
I have had Redline MT90 in my transmission, since 10,000 kms (6200 miles) on it, I have almost 52k km's (32,000 miles) on my X-runner now. Never had any issues with transmission.

x8o8runner2012

Reaction score
either way both are way better than stock bro.....I guess it would be pretty much about personal preference....I'm running amsoil severe gear 75-90

PAXR

Reaction score
Read the "amsoil white paper reports". It may sound a bit biased because it was a lab that was contracted out by amsoil, but the numbers are legit and prove what you hear everywhere else.

In my opinion, Lucas is junk. Good marketing and advertising built up a bad product. Just my opinion though.

Edgeman

Reaction score
For those with limited slip diffs I'd recommend staying away from the "NS" Redline has a 75w-90 that has the limited slip modifiers already in it, that's what I used and have had great results. The NS would have to be paired with LS additive.

PS: Yes I know it's an old thread, just felt like adding my $.02 for anyone that uses this thread as a reference. :top:

To clarify, 2005 - 2008 X-Runners have a clutch type LSD, and 2009 and later have something else (open diff with an electronic LSD?). You want the friction modifiers in the clutch type diffs, and you don't need it in the open diffs (with or without the electronic LSD feature).

As for Redline, you want to use their 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil in your 2005 clutch type diff,
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904

and their MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil in your transmission.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50304

If you want confirmation, or you forget which oils you need, just go to the Redline website, click the "Application Guide" tab, then put in your vehicle data. It will tell you exactly what you need.

By the way, if you use the GL-5 gear oil I linked above in your diff, you do not need any additional friction modifiers. It's good right out of the bottle.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
do oil change places usually carry amsoil or redline tranny fluids?

roy365

Reaction score
Ive had nothing but good results from Amsoil products, but hate their selling styles. I will try Redline for my next MTF change I believe.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score

rennurx

Reaction score
How much do u need for the trans and the dif, ( how many quarts for each)

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
About 2 quarts for the trans. I can't remember off the top of my head for the diff. I've got amsoil in mine though and love it

Top Bottom