Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Another Broken Clutch Thread

Black-X

Reaction score
OK, so Thursday morning I'm driving to work. I get to the street my shop is on, and they just repaved the road. Since they had literally just done it, I wanted to be the first to lay down some rubber on it. I pull into the street and I stop, I wanted to burn out in 2nd gear so I leave it in 2nd. Revved it to about 3-3.5k rpms and I dumped it. Half way thru 2nd gear the truck just stopped pulling and the engine started to scream as it was bouncing off the rev limiter. Shifted to 3rd, and nothing, back to 2nd, nothing still, so I'm just rolling up the street to our shop. Wen I stopped, I tried to go in 1st, but it didnt move an started to make a wierd sound. My supervisor heard everything, and wen he seen me walking up to the shop, all he did was shake his head. So now my truck is at the dealer sitting. Not sure wats gonna happen, but the service writer said it should be covered under warranty *crosses fingers*, with under 30k miles on it.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
another case of broken clutch disc common with these trucks

Gadget

Reaction score
If they won't warranty it I can get a new clutch out to you right away.

G

DBL-BD

Reaction score
Man I wish mine just broke apart! Would've saved me a huge headache n some bad blood at the dealer. maybe :dontknow:
Good luck

Xtacy

Reaction score
Common problem, mostly with the 08s tho

Black-X

Reaction score
If they won't warranty it I can get a new clutch out to you right away.

G

Thanx Gadget, I was thinking about getting an aftermarket clutch, but my tax return already went bye bye. I atleast left tire marks about 30ft long. If it didn't do anything, I woulda been so pissed off. I wanna go back an do it right. If the clutch held, it woulda spun all the way thru 2nd.

melon16

Reaction score
i have a stock clutch, pressure plate and t/o for sale still....

shaX 07

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man, hope you get everything sorted out.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
I hope you're not upset, it is your fault no matter how you look at it. I had a great laugh reading this and I highly recommend that you call gadget and get the stage IV clutch :top:.

Sevenfold

Reaction score
Wouldn't a second gear clutch drop be hard on any clutch? These aren't race clutchs, just seems like doing a 2nd gear clutch drop at 3500 rpm is gonna put a lot of stress on most stock clutchs.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it would due to load and gear ratios.
Stock clutches are good for commuting.

If you want to play, you need to pay. Clutch upgrades need to be listed as the first upgrade. Or even an option to be installed by the dealer when you buy a new truck. Between URD and NST, our clutch woes are covered.

KoofRunner

Reaction score
Any chance you can get me a new T/O bearing gadget? lol I hate toyota some times.:thumpdown:

Black-X

Reaction score
*Update*
Got the truck back yesterday from the dealer, they replaced the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing. Didnt have the truck for 2 weeks but i did get a loaner. After the first week, they called me up an said that the friction material on the clutch separated and that a new one is on its way. Also they found an oil leak coming from the rear main seal, an got that fixed at the same time. They didnt have the parts on island so it had to be flown in. Everything was covered under warranty, so I'm happy i got my truck back an fixed.

*Update*
Got the truck back yesterday from the dealer, they replaced the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing. Didnt have the truck for 2 weeks but i did get a loaner. After the first week, they called me up an said that the friction material on the clutch separated and that a new one is on its way. Also they found an oil leak coming from the rear main seal, an got that fixed at the same time. They didnt have the parts on island so it had to be flown in. Everything was covered under warranty, so I'm happy i got my truck back an fixed.

Last edited:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Glad you got everything sorted out. I wish I could've seen it. I woulda been cracking up :hahaha: :rofl:

Black-X

Reaction score
I hope you're not upset, it is your fault no matter how you look at it. I had a great laugh reading this and I highly recommend that you call gadget and get the stage IV clutch :top:.

Yea i know its my fault an i know it was stoopid. I was only upset b/c i broke it. As for getting an aftermarket clutch, it is on my wish list. Times are really hard for me at the moment, hopefully i manage to save up money for it.

Glad you got everything sorted out. I wish I could've seen it. I woulda been cracking up :hahaha: :rofl:

Never seen wat a separated clutch disc looks like, an i wanted to see wat it looked like in person. It slipped my mind to ask the service writer about it, but oh well.

melon16

Reaction score
when mine separated a couple years ago at 10k km it looked fine....until you held it by the splined inner and spun the rest of it like a bearing haha.

Top Bottom