Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

another scoop mod

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
I think I'm going to do this. I know there's no ram effect from the scoop, but, I'm supercharged anyhow, and all that aluminum should make my blower Scream out of that hood scoop :)\

ramair1.jpg

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Do a write up :top:

Not necessarily "ram air" but it's gotta be better than the factory wheel well location. Hopefully more cost effective than the URD TCAI.

xr mar

Reaction score
That look good but is it affective or is it a big waste of time? I agree do a write up

PAXR

Reaction score
Is that custom duct work from the scoop to the air box? Nice work. I just wonder if it is a positive effect or actually hurting air flow. This is why I say that...

I just washed my truck today. Everytime I wash my truck I immediately take it out and run it to 80-90 to remove almost all of the water. Then when I get home the towel work is minimal. What I always notice is that there is still droplets of water right in front of the scoop mesh grille. This time I even took notice of water still suspended in the mesh insert itself. This tells me that there is zero positive air pressure on the mesh insert of the hood scoop. Therefore there is no air being forced into the scoop. Whether it actually creates low pressure, I'm not sure yet.

This is just my observation. For the record I have my hood scoop open and unblocked. My idea is that it lets heat out. I have a URD TCAI so there is no induction properties either way.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
I'm doing this so the intake echos out from the scoop, I have a blower i don't need ram air. It's well accepted that the scoop has effectively no air going into it at speed, and acts better to let heat out at a stop.

justin13703

Reaction score
Nice, I think the x runner concept had something pretty similar to that on it.

Xcars_onfireR

Reaction score
I wanted to do this too, just the fact of having a hood scoop i want it to be a little functional

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Well, i made it, didnt like it, scrapped it, so now I'm going to glass the underside of the hood, use abs and make a box that will mount ontop of the box and engine and the hood will press onto it when closed, similar to the ws6 style hood.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to the fact that the hood scoop is closed off, it prevents air from entering. Obviously. Due to that fact, and similar to a truck bed, a vortex (or circulating air pocket) is stuck there, and the rest of the air flows over.

Things to keep in mind about a using the hood scoop like in the first post, is that the engine will suck the air in. A s/c engine will do more so. So if your design still uses the factory opening on the fender well, as well as what is in the photo above, it will get fresh air from two sources.

One thing about the scoop though, is that it won't be getting the air that has been heat saturaded from the baking road surface.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
the plan is to block the fender in left off im super charged so the air is just going to get heated from being compressed, then n re cooled anyway. I mainly just want to sound out of the scoop

Murderface

Reaction score
If ur only want it for sound why not just get a URD TCAI? All u have to do is minimum trimming to get the filter to fit between the grill and heat exchanger OR get a Grillcraft MX series grill and it will fit

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Because race car lol, i just like to do things the pita way add i think it would be cool to have the scoop intake

kcidmil

Reaction score
Man somebody has beat me to the punch. I was thinking of running the duct work towards the back in a oval funnel. Then following the firewall around to the air box. With the sealing point being above the motor near the firewall. Hoping that a smoother route without harsh angles would help with air flow.

However I've got a few things working against me.

1. Don't have my TRD S/C to check for clearance
2. Don't have a lot of extra $$$ sitting around currently
3. Don't have a lot of extra time either

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
yeah, it was basically me sitting around bending abs and welding it all day.....lotsa time, not to bad on price.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
just got back from road testing, it sounds pretty freaking mean!!!

Top Bottom