Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone ever try "Chinese Water Torture" on their engines?

James_T

Reaction score
I stumbled across this: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=35053 while looking for ways to clean the upper cylinders of gunk.

I actually gave this a try, more on that in a bit.

Apparently, this is supposed to be an old mechanic's trick of "steam cleaning" the cylinder walls and heads with water first, then using an upper cylinder cleaner (seafoam, GM/Mazda products, etc.) afterwards to really deep clean. According to other searches I made, apparently this is a pretty useful technique and actually works.

I had planned on seafoaming anyway, so I went and also got some distilled water from publix for a dollar per gallon. I did exactly what the instructions said, and began with about a full party cup of water. I had my OBD scanner running alongside to monitor everything.

I chose the vacumn line just right after the throttle body, and attached a clear plastic tube so I could sit in the driver's seat and modulate the throttle to avoid a stall. I slowly added the water by letting the tube suck it up about a 1/4 second at a time, with a second in between each dip in the water. My OBD readout (Torque app on my phone) displayed the expected P00XX codes for misfires. The engine was stumbling most of the time, but it stayed up and no check engine lights were lit.

After I went through the cup of water, I let the engine restore it's idle for about 30 seconds, then I put in the seafoam through the same vacumn line, with the same procedure. Except for the final gulp of seafoam, where I dunked the tube into the can to stall the engine and let the seafoam sit at the top of the cylinders. The engine stalled out with no noises that sounded alarming.

Fast forward 20 minutes later, I start her up, and after a few stumbles and hesitates, the truck fires up in a glorious cloud of smoke. I do the whole race the engine to redline down a backstreet several times to clean out the engine, and eventually, the smoke dissipates. After everything, the idle was around what it was before, which was ~600-700.

---

Results: I immediately felt a difference in WOT acceleration. It definetly felt harder and sharper than before, and felt like the engine could breathe better. Not really sure how to explain that, but it starts up smoother than before and accelerates smoother as well. It might just be a placebo, but it definetly felt like it made a difference.

As far as im concerned, distilled water doesn't really damage an engine, unless you hydrolock with the water. So, the risk shouldn't have been too bad, heh. :laugh:

Murderface

Reaction score
Ya my engine runs smoother and has more power now. The inside of the engine is now spotless all of this without having to pour anything into the engine having it stumble and studder........it's called Ethanol! Works wonders for cleaning the engine out and what a good amount of power gained from running it.

Now back in the day of carbed engines and ram air scoops, the water that would get pulled thru the engine had the same effect as what u did.

Gadget

Reaction score
So you put a liquid into three cylinders.

I have seen people wreck engines doing this silly stuff.

G

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
.... Like they say in ARCHER.....Danger Zone........Intresting all types of different tricks.

rich017

Reaction score
You need to do it using the brake booster vacuum line.

As far as the water goes, it does get rid of some carbon buildup. I have done it on a few vehicles here at home. We sell engine fogs at our dealership which is the same concept as seafoam and it does work on high mileage vehicles that have buildup in the plenum and top end.

XRUNX

Reaction score
liquids dont compress so as far as water goes, No thanks i did do a tiny bit of seafoam and accel was a bit sharper but overall no amazing difference

James_T

Reaction score
So you put a liquid into three cylinders.

I have seen people wreck engines doing this silly stuff.

G

Yeah G I was worried about hydro damage and waterlocking, but the way I let the water in, was kinda like letting the vacumn pull the water up from the cup, making a sorta twister-funnel shape of water. The engine didn't make any knocking noises or anything, so I figured all was well. I assumed the misfires were just a result of too much moisture in the mix, versus actual globs of water entering the cylinders.

A note to mention, I do have 130k miles on my car. Age will have a big part on how much difference you get. I definetly got a difference.

4Runners don't have brake boosters, since they have electric hydraulic brake cylinders. (At least I'm sure that's how they work). It's nice, the car's brakes are just as strong when the car is completely off, as when the car is on. I'm surprised it's not a safety feature on new cars or something.

James_T

Reaction score
Selling x1?? Why.

Haha what's up man. I'm gonna be getting rid of the car within 6 months or so, so I figure I might as well pass it on before I screw around with it and potentially break it. I'll look into headers and whatnot to satisfy myself. :laugh:

Top Bottom