Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are X-Runner Brakes Different than Non-X-Runner Brakes?

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but is there any difference between the brakes on a regular 2wd Tacoma and an X-Runner? Since the X-Runner has a larger engine and larger wheels and tires, I'm wonder if Toyota "beefed-up" the brakes for the X-Runners or if the brakes have enough extra capacity to begin with that there is no difference between models :hmmmm2:

Toon714

Reaction score
Xrunners and base model tacoma comes with single piston.

Prerunners/4x4 tacos has 4 piston. :top:

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
TRD BBK makes the truck stop like it should have!!

To ME the stock brakes are DANGEROUSLY inadequate!

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram Afghanistan
Missing my X, my bikes, oh and my wife too LOL

Vandy01

Reaction score
Would prerunner calipers work on the x's rotors and bolt right up?

Toon714

Reaction score
No it wont bolt up to the xrunner.

Even if they do, would that really improve stopping distances? I'm inclined to think it wouldn't.

Lol. So ur saying a 4 piston calipers wont stop better than a single piston?

It will stop way better than a single piston on a xrunners lol.
Thats why the trd bbk for the xr is a 4 piston...

Thats why all xrunner guys are jealous that a prerunner/4x4 has way better brakes. :top:

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
No it wont bolt up to the xrunner.

Lol. So ur saying a 4 piston calipers wont stop better than a single piston?

It will stop way better than a single piston on a xrunners lol.
Thats why the trd bbk for the xr is a 4 piston...

Thats why all xrunner guys are jealous that a prerunner/4x4 has way better brakes. :top:

Cause the xrunner is just faster bro hahahaha and we have a hard time stopping :eviltongue:

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Are the brake pads for 4x4's larger? Are the rotors larger? I don't think that simply increasing the potential clamping force by adding a different caliper is going to significantly decrease braking distances (if it does anything at all).

I highly recommend reading the following article if you're considering new brakes (or if you just want to beef-up you knowledge of how brakes work):
Page 3 of the article talks about calipers. From the article:

Remember: Bigger calipers don't create any more "stopping power" and they do not "decrease stopping distance"--they just generate higher clamp loads for a given pressure input.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm an expert at understanding at how breaks work. However, I did buy a rather expensive big-brake kit for a vehicle I own, thinking that I'd get thrown through the windshield each time I hit the brakes with the new kit. Unfortunately, I'm not very impressed with the difference the kit made and wouldn't spend the money again. I think a person should really understand how the entire braking system works before deciding to dump money to 'improve' the system... because you might find you didn't improve anything (which was the case with me :( )

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
I'm not even going to pretend I'm an expert at understanding at how breaks work. However, I did buy a rather expensive big-brake kit for a vehicle I own, thinking that I'd get thrown through the windshield each time I hit the brakes with the new kit. Unfortunately, I'm not very impressed with the difference the kit made and wouldn't spend the money again. I think a person should really understand how the entire braking system works before deciding to dump money to 'improve' the system... because you might find you didn't improve anything (which was the case with me :( )

Well in the case of the X-runner with stock brakes vs the TRD BBK kit (Stoptech) there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

It generates a LOT more braking force and decellerates the truck a whole lot faster.
Even my WIFE agreed that the stock brakes were crap and the BBK from TRD was worth the price - and she HATES to see me buy "upgrades" for things!!

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram, Afghanistan
Haven't seen my truck or bikes since December 2012 :thumbdown:

Toon714

Reaction score
Are the brake pads for 4x4's larger? Are the rotors larger? I don't think that simply increasing the potential clamping force by adding a different caliper is going to significantly decrease braking distances (if it does anything at all).

I highly recommend reading the following article if you're considering new brakes (or if you just want to beef-up you knowledge of how brakes work):
Page 3 of the article talks about calipers. From the article:

Yes the prerunner rotors and calipers are alot bigger.
So it will stop alot better.

LOL

Cause the xrunner is just faster bro hahahaha and we have a hard time stopping :eviltongue:

Haha good one brotha!!
And u forgot one more thing!

U guys look faster too. :top:

And the fastest taco is a tacoma not a xrunner. ;)

Werty can chime in. Haha

Last edited:

autobodyX

Reaction score
And the fastest taco is a tacoma not a xrunner. ;)

Werty can chime in. Haha

Need definition of fastest taco. Fastest at what?

If a man can stand some extreme brake dusting a pad upgrade will make a base tacoma or a X stop much better.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's just say that two trucks are side by side doing a braking test. Same new brand of tires and same new grip. Same weights, and same rear brakes. Only thing changed is the front brakes. One OEM stock, and the other a 4 piston BBK with larger rotors than stock.

By that last sentence alone, due to the larger diameter of the rotors, there is an increased mechanical advantage over the smaller diameter OEM rotors. Which would in turn equate to a shorter stopping distance with the same brake pressure as the OEM brakes, or the same distance with less pressure. (Varies on how much larger the rotor actually is compared to stock.)

Now, do multiple high speed braking runs, and see how quickly the OEM gets brake fade compared to the aftermarket BBK. The 4 piston BBK will take many more attempts or longer on brake distances to create brake fade than the OEM.

Opposing pistons will put equal pressure onto the rotor compared to single piston pressure.

Get some really sticky tires, and I mean really sticky. Lower the air pressures little so the tires get a good contact patch, and then do your brake test. Setup a camera so we can see your truck do an endo. :top:

MplsX

Reaction score
Lets not confuse larger rotors with a greater pad swept area. Or that more pistons in a caliper gives you more capacity and control. A brake system has to be balanced with front and rear brakes as well as the master cylinder and brake lines. A single piston caliper will provide equal force to both sides of the rotor, if it didn't the pads would wear unevenly.
If more brake pistons were the answer to better performance then why don't more people retrofit the Lexus 6 piston setup (if you discount the complexity of making the mounting adaptors). That maybe better than stock, (I don't know), but I'm sure that the performance is less than the 4 piston setup of the TRD / Stoptech system.
You could also use the analogy of engine pistons. By that I mean that a late 70's Camaro with it's weak V8 should be twice as good in performance as a WRX / STi since it has twice the cylinder count. It's all about balance and design.
Yes, I love my TRD brakes because it is a balanced package but I am sure that a very strong package could have been made with a single piston caliper as long as it had great swept area, non expanding brake lines and quality pads in a balanced system. But most people would want something flashier looking for their $2000 brake upgrade than single piston calipers. Lets not confuse style with actual performance.

Last edited:

autobodyX

Reaction score
Lets not confuse larger rotors with a greater pad swept area. Or that more pistons in a caliper gives you more capacity and control. A brake system has to be balanced with front and rear brakes as well as the master cylinder and brake lines. A single piston caliper will provide equal force to both sides of the rotor, if it didn't the pads would wear unevenly.
If more brake pistons were the answer to better performance then why don't more people retrofit the Lexus 6 piston setup (if you discount the complexity of making the mounting adaptors). That maybe better than stock, (I don't know), but I'm sure that the performance is less than the 4 piston setup of the TRD / Stoptech system.
You could also use the analogy of engine pistons. By that I mean that a late 70's Camaro with it's weak V8 should be twice as good in performance as a WRX / STi since it has twice the cylinder count. It's all about balance and design.
Yes, I love my TRD brakes because it is a balanced package but I am sure that a very strong package could have been made with a single piston caliper as long as it had great swept area, non expanding brake lines and quality pads in a balanced system. But most people would want something flashier looking for their $2000 brake upgrade than single piston calipers. Lets not confuse style with actual performance.

All this talk talk about clamping force and sutch and you are forgetting about getting rid of the heat generated from braking.
The better calipers are all make of aluminum and having more pistons puts more heat transfer points on the brake system. The TRD kit also has the two pice rotors ( a aluminum hat and a iron friction ring) that will very efectively remove tons of the heat from braking and they add alot of expence of an upgrade.

MplsX

Reaction score
All this talk talk about clamping force and sutch and you are forgetting about getting rid of the heat generated from braking.
The better calipers are all make of aluminum and having more pistons puts more heat transfer points on the brake system. The TRD kit also has the two pice rotors ( a aluminum hat and a iron friction ring) that will very efectively remove tons of the heat from braking and they add alot of expence of an upgrade.

I agree. Larger rotors and construction are important but not the only thing. What would remove heat better, a 12 inch half inch rotor or a 10 inch rotor that is an inch thick? The smaller rotor might get better airflow around it for better heat flow as well as the ability to dissipate more heat. You could always duct outside air to the brakes like race cars do, but on the street there would be dirt , water and all sorts of crap hitting your brake system.
I'm not picking on you because I agree with most of what you say. I was just pointing out that more brake pistons are not always the better setup.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that when I said the 4 piston BBK, that those aspects of larger sweeping area, and others, would have been a given. Apparently I was wrong.

But yes I was wrong when I said an uneven pressure, because there will be an opposite and equal pressure. My apologies.

STONER-X

Reaction score
Old thread but instead of starting a new one I figure I would add to one of the few....

Disregard rotors, pads, lines.....

Will the pre runner / 4x4 calipers bolt directly to the X? By looking at the calipers in pictures it seems the pre calipers bolt directly to the spindles as where the X has the calipers attach to the bracket that bolts to the spindles. ..

So assuming the spindle assembly is the same one could remove the X calipers and bracket and blot on a pre calipers. . Would this be true?

I am in the process of putting a rotor sheet together to find the closest match.. I have a few lined up

Tunedx

Reaction score
Xrunner come w stoptech single piston calipers up front and high tech drums for the rear..

Top Bottom