Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Autocross advice?

Emanon

Reaction score
Very cool.

I want to auto-x in a bad way but I know I will get addicted and sucked in. Which is funny since every mod on my truck relates to better handling.

Maybe one day...

blueblazeracer

Reaction score
If you are just starting autoX just have fun. You are a NOVICE so just learn to navigate the course and you will pick it up in time. As far as classing. Novice: anything goes. Next should be a street tire class where you will use an H-Stock(if you are stock) time multiplier so you can race time wise against all the other cars. With mods you could be in street tire class with and ESP time index. At most any autox everyone is friendly enough that if you need help they are more than happy to help. When you register in the morning just ask and tell them your mods and they can help you out.

blueblazeracer

Reaction score
yep, I only had the truck for three weeks before my first novice school.

year 1:novice class
instead of jumping into a class after one or two novice events, I raced in novice the whole year and just focused on having fun racing and bettering my skills. The truck was stock that whole year. My home cousre is an old runway strip so there are two turn arounds at the ends. With those turn arounds there was a little understeer if you didnt shutdown your speed but everything else the truck is just fun. Upgrades dont make you a bettter driver, seat time does.

Year 2:street tire(H-Stock)
I bought bridgestone RE11's since the stock tires were almost shot after the first year. I upgraded to EBC Yellow brakes the stocks were starting to wear. Picked up the URD exhaust. I got a custom alignment of -2.5 which helped big time with the turn around understeer but hurt my straight line braking.

year 3:H-Stock
I bought some kosei K1-TS 18X8 rims and fitted them with 295\30R18 Hoosier A6's. Installed the sittin sic front swaybar and backed the camber back down to -2.0. I ran all the westcoast national events and the nationals in Lincoln Nebraska. Truck runs great and is loads of fun. the last upgrade I need it get is the shocks.

Year 4:???
I want to run locally this year and take a year off from running nationals. Plus the hoosiers dont last long which gets expensive. I got a gopro HD so I should be able to upload tons of vids.

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
If you want to see how people run, get there early (if you are running in the later groups) and ask someone for a ride. Most people will say okay but just remember to keep quiet when they drive and thank them after. There are times I gave rides on all my runs (caused me to get sucky times) but i scared a few folks so it was worth it! :D

Reaction score
I used to go to events all the time and they had magnetic stickers on the sides of the cars that didn't care about giving a ride. The magnets said "Autocross Taxi."

I also had a friend who was first in a super modified class running a 1991 Miata. He had his tire pressures monitored, changed out the oil before each race, etc. He was fanatic. He never offered rides because he knew the way the car handled with his weight and if a human body was in the passenger seat, he'd have to change everything. It wasn't in vain because like I said, he was first for like 3 years straight.

To me though, that doesn't seem like much fun. I'd be good with just going to novice for a while. Just a place to let loose ya know. Also, Toyota claims the XR can handle as good as the 350Z. Supposedly, I think the Sittin Sic kit claims they can make that claim become reailty. Thoughts on this claim since I've not had a chance to really open her up since I got her.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Dont starve your motor of oil around a turn. Thats how engines are blown

Top Bottom