Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Benefit of an X-Pipe

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
All this exhaust talk today got me thinking about what I potentially want to do with mine. I've seen in a few threads that some people who opt to go with dual inlet mufflers get an X-pipe somewhere before the muffler and I don't understand the point. Why not run the pipes straight into the muffler from the headers (or exhaust manifold)?

Is it to keep some kind of balance of pressure on both sides of the V(6) in the event that the exhaust pipes between the headers (or cats) and the muffler inlet aren't the same length? :hmmmm2: That's the only justifiable reason I can think of besides having something else to "brag" about.

Bobby B

Reaction score
I have All four cats and and a dual inlet magnaflow and no y pipe and no x pipe but have heard of that.

Reaction score
seems to me the x pipe is just another restriction.balanced exhaust phooey.run straight shots aft of cats to dual inlet magnaflow would do it for me.:top:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I have All four cats and and a dual inlet magnaflow and no y pipe and no x pipe but have heard of that.

Actually, your setup is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of getting. I just don't know why anyone would purposely want an x-pipe and I saw mention of it somewhere so I figured I'd ask for anyone who could provide some insight.

i_ski

Reaction score
The X pipe used to be really popular with the mustang crowd running dual exhaust but if you're going to a dual inlet muffler there is no point. if you're running true duals it's a good idea because it's my understanding is that balancing the pressure improves the scavenging effect

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
The X pipe used to be really popular with the mustang crowd running dual exhaust but if you're going to a dual inlet muffler there is no point. if you're running true duals it's a good idea because it's my understanding is that balancing the pressure improves the scavenging effect

Exactly the answer I was looking for... so X-Pipe is theoretically more efficient than H-pipe, but they serve the same purpose. The dual inlet muffler pretty much negates the need for either of the two. Got it. Thank you very much :biggrin:

Bobby B

Reaction score
Actually, your setup is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of getting. I just don't know why anyone would purposely want an x-pipe and I saw mention of it somewhere so I figured I'd ask for anyone who could provide some insight.

I love everything about my set up performance and the sound are perfect for me and really match the looks of the XR. I did mine exactly like DOGSTOY06. (former XR-Umember and hell raiser). He had it first and it seemed to make sense and it was cheap at my local muffler shop 365.00. Heres a post

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=98&highlight=why+a+y+pipe

This is exactly my setup. Creative thinking from a Creative dude.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score

I love everything about my set up performance and the sound are perfect for me and really match the looks of the XR. I did mine exactly like DOGSTOY06. (former XR-Umember and hell raiser). He had it first and it seemed to make sense and it was cheap at my local muffler shop 365.00. Heres a post

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=98&highlight=why+a+y+pipe

This is exactly my setup. Creative thinking from a Creative dude.

:laugh: How could I forget that guy?

I did some searching before I started this thread, so I've seen it :top:

Reaction score
what with this guy?is a maniac or something? supposed to meet up with him this weekend for a meet.:dontknow: is he dangerous?

Reaction score
ok i see .had some friends say he was cool.at least he's not psycho! but aren't we all to some extent? lol:laugh:

Top Bottom