Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

best turbo setup?

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
i have almost made up my mind to go turbo over supercharger but have had almost no luck finding kits components and pricing info any help from the boost crowd would be appreciated :rockon:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Either way, going turbo is going to cost you more than the TRD S/C, maybe the same as the MKII (if you get the STS) probably more. Or way more if you go custom. Now I hear that Luis at Paradise Racing might be making a turbo kit for our trucks. That is rumor. Don't know much else than that. The STS kit I bought was 6K. Can be cheaper if you tell them to leave out a few parts, but then you'll need that money to by the replacement parts needed to run the engine and kit.

Ghost

Reaction score
i have almost made up my mind to go turbo over supercharger but have had almost no luck finding kits components and pricing info any help from the boost crowd would be appreciated :rockon:
I wouldn't recomend going turbo. This truck red lines at 5500rpms. If you get cams that is differant. All the reasons to turbo are sound, im saying this due to the fack I own an srt-4. It has 406hp to the ground w/ a redline of 6500rpms. the turbo lag will kill ya unless the turbo is match perfectly to displacement, compression, rpms, and your power demands. Then your other required mods must fall suite. Those rpms are important to get the turbo moving. As far as fuel eco your rite. Go S/Cing, you would not lose. think of it as on demand power. back in the day w/ muscle cars the same is true. Thats is why most were blown. What ever info you have recieved is wrong but your theary is sound. Is this truck driven day to day? Sorry I new here and this is my first post, so dont flame me. I am basing my opion on facts I have learned.

Love
Ghost

X-roller

Reaction score
STS FTW!!!!! I've been researching a lot lately on that and I am going to go this route as well...STS is the only one that I can think of that actually makes somewhat of a kit for our trucks...otherwise you will have to go custom.

I wouldn't recomend going turbo. This truck red lines at 5500rpms. If you get cams that is differant. All the reasons to turbo are sound, im saying this due to the fack I own an srt-4. It has 406hp to the ground w/ a redline of 6500rpms. the turbo lag will kill ya unless the turbo is match perfectly to displacement, compression, rpms, and your power demands. Then your other required mods must fall suite. Those rpms are important to get the turbo moving. As far as fuel eco your rite. Go S/Cing, you would not lose. think of it as on demand power. back in the day w/ muscle cars the same is true. Thats is why most were blown. What ever info you have recieved is wrong but your theary is sound. Is this truck driven day to day? Sorry I new here and this is my first post, so dont flame me. I am basing my opion on facts I have learned.

Love
Ghost

Our trucks mainly get full boost around 2800 to 3k RPM....not really much room for lag when we shift at 2k to 2500 regularly......I think when we go pedal to the metal and shift at 5500 our RPMs drop to 3800 in between shifts...I think..... Torspd is probably one of the more knowledged ones when it comes to turbo set up on our trucks and so is lamecargo....they both love there set ups and have multiple vids and I can honestly say I don't see any on there end....

Last edited:

rexrunner

Reaction score
turbo is a waste?

please elaborate more?

i have very little lag, full boost around 2500 isnt bad, since when your racing, you stay above that anyways........

X-roller

Reaction score
Oops....I forgot about Rex!!...I was all over your thread too...lol....

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
huh not getting the ghos's post but im ok with the money this is a long term plan just trying to get a better handle on the turbo spectrum

X-roller

Reaction score
Go turbo...trust me....I have researched this long enough...PSI per PSI it's the best set up you can do and S/C is more wear and tear on the motor....like Rex said it's full boost at 2500.....if you are looking for 400 plus ponies on this motor go turbo...I think rex is probably the most HP besides the Twin Turbo set up guy that is around here somewhere....I don't remember how much he has...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Go turbo...trust me....I have researched this long enough...PSI per PSI it's the best set up you can do and S/C is more wear and tear on the motor....like Rex said it's full boost at 2500.....if you are looking for 400 plus ponies on this motor go turbo...I think rex is probably the most HP besides the Twin Turbo set up guy that is around here somewhere....I don't remember how much he has...

can you explain your theory on how S/C is more wear and tear on the motor?

as for as components and sizing talk to rexrunner about what he is running. seems everything is matched up nicely in his set-up. Also try talking to Luis over at Paradise Racing. He is knowledgeable about turbo sizing and all that good stuff. Then you have torspd and lamecargo running the sts kit.

X-roller

Reaction score
S/C is all the time...takes power from the motor to run it....turbo is ran thru the exhaust.

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
good point but where power comes from does not equal wear and rex has more power than megabites twin turbo

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
S/C is all the time...takes power from the motor to run it....turbo is ran thru the exhaust.

yes. supercharger is driven off a belt. Turbocharger is driven by the exhaust. And what do you mean by supercharger is all the time? I drive all the time without hitting any boost. :dontknow:

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
exactly not getting that wear and all the time post?? maybe hes talking about suder high compression chargers like a racing one cause some of those initiate boost at like 500 rpms???

Gadget

Reaction score
Boost is fun.

All boost is not created equal as some might think.

Turbos are very exciting, no doubt. URD made a real turbo kit for the 5VZ some years ago and make no mistake about it, they totally kicked ass. Way more fun than the TRD supercharger at the time, but much more expensive, but they were COMPLETE kits from fuel pump to complete engine management. In the end we found we could not sell them for enough to make them a viable business case, so we pulled the plug.

For the 1GR there are two really nice supercharger kits that are complete kits that you can bolt on in an afternoon and have fun with it.

There is one rear mounted turbo kit out there, that is nice, but seems to be a little less than a complete kit. Most everyone that installs it need to tighten up some loose ends to get it right, but that can be done without to much trouble. We help many people with that system finish them up.

A custom turbo if you have the money, the patients, and have a second vehicle to drive while it is completed, tweaked and tuned, is going to be more fun than you can stand. This is not something for most people to undertake. Before you jump into a custom system, expect to spend way more money than you initially think it will cost, LIKE TWICE as much at a minimum, and expect a LOT OF DOWN TIME.

Now keep in mind that the stock 1GR is limited on how much power you can push out of it. The current supercharger kits on the market can get you right the limit of what it can take. You can make more power with a turbo, but you may want to budget in an engine build to make it reliable.

What is down time??? Ask my good friend Brian. He struck out on a quest to make the most bad ass 4Runner out there. Completely built engine, twin turbos, standalone EMS and on and on. It took a few years and a big pile of money, but in the end he had himself a 4Runner that could push out over 1200 HP and could not even be driven. Backed it down to 900 or so, and was blown up everything, rear end, axles and so on. Custom stuff was made to handle it. Then transfer case blows up. More custom stuff. Then this and that and more this and that, and guess what? Around 800 HP is was still to scary. Many years later it still had very few miles on it. We are talking super down time.

Even with a bit a turbo lag, turbos are just plain more fun after you get all the kinks worked out.

If the XR is your only vehicle, FORGET a custom turbo setup. Go with a proven bolt on system even it is not a cool and a custom turbo. At least you will have something to drive around in.

G

X-roller

Reaction score
yes. supercharger is driven off a belt. Turbocharger is driven by the exhaust. And what do you mean by supercharger is all the time? I drive all the time without hitting any boost. :dontknow:

Your S/C is always being driven by the motor....whether or not at peak boost...you are still boosting also....Turbo has little to no boost when not within it's range....A S/C has no lag due to it's power is pretty much instant...You might not be at peak boost but like I said it is instant....a turbo has to spool prior to creating some boost....otherwise it's doing nothing but just letting air thru the turbo and out the exhaust...

Gadget

Reaction score
Your S/C is always being driven by the motor....whether or not at peak boost...you are still boosting also....Turbo has little to no boost when not within it's range....A S/C has no lag due to it's power is pretty much instant...You might not be at peak boost but like I said it is instant....a turbo has to spool prior to creating some boost....otherwise it's doing nothing but just letting air thru the turbo and out the exhaust...

Make no mistake about it. The turbo is being driven all the time as well. it also creates exhaust back pressure even when not making boost. So it is also a bit of a strain on an engine.

Yes, it is driven by the exhaust, but it makes the engine work harder to push out the exhaust and it does take power to drive it. When properly sized and so on it can be more efficient than most superchargers, but some of the new ones like the Rotrex are not that far behind in overall efficiency.

G

08XRunner808

Reaction score

same with an s/c until you get on it..then the s/c will build boost..but driving regular the s/c wont build any boost :top:

Murderface

Reaction score

You should just quit while ur ahead:top::laugh:

SooRunner

Reaction score
I think now a days, I don't think there is a such thing as turbo lag. They now have ball bearing turbos, like a garrette gt2560R I had in my miata, and that sucker spools like no tomorrow.

There is a pro and con to supercharger and turbo, each has it's own character.

lamecargo

Reaction score
this will always be an ongoing battle.... TRD vs URD vs turbo either way boost is fun is all I. personal preferance it all comes down to what you want to do. I got my kit for cheaper than Torspd mine was 4650 shipped but just call them and work out a price. like mark said you can cut the cost of the kit down by not getting certain things with kit. but we both have tweaked and manipulated our setups in different ways to get more power. Like I said different strokes for different folks

Top Bottom