Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best wheel size

thechief21040

Reaction score
So I plan on doing a djm 3/3 drop in the future and am building my x up as a track/ everyday driver and I'm trying to figure out what the best wheel size is to go with for optimal performance 18", 19", or 20"????

Anyone with racing feedback and setup on there x would be much appreciated

KrazyIvan

Reaction score
There is no quick way to answer this question considering how whole books and classes are dedicated to this material :laugh: but I will give it a shot...From my experience, there is no single "optimal" set up for both track AND everyday. Either side of the spectrum will have negatives for the other...plus wheel/tire is only one part of the equation.

To answer your question, ceteris paribus...for track you want a lighter/smaller diameter wheel with a wider softer compound rubber. This allows for better feel, response, braking, etc. However, light wheels don't stand up to potholes, softer rubber neither lasts long or meant for adverse weather, and wider set ups tramline more. On the flip side, sturdier street wheels have unnecessary unsprung/rotational weight and street rubber has lower grip/handling/heat thresholds. Which is why everyone whose bank account don't look like a phone number has 2 dedicated sets for street and track. Obviously, non of this matters if you can bankroll top of the line HRE, BBS or Carbon Revolution wheels and mount new tires every month :rofl:

It also all depends on your suspension set up and driving skill...I met enough people that immediately think they need st00pid wide and/or sticky set up when they can barely out-drive a stock one. Before spending any money, I would advise running your truck as is. Get comfortable and max out its current handling limits and modify it accordingly from there. I would also recommend the follow two books; they contain a lot of great driving technique and suspension geometry info.

Anyway, that's my two cents....Disclaimer, I am not professional racing driver and I have not tracked an X-Runner. I am speaking generally from my past experience running motorcycles/cars and taking a weekend driving school here and there :laugh: Good luck.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760340501/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F5FYZDYP8FF2T1XCSY5[/ame]

Last edited:

triumphx

Reaction score
18's for performance, width and offset is all up to how you want the vehicle to handle

thechief21040

Reaction score
Hey thanks man that's a lot of really good info to get me going I appreciate it, already bought the books off amazon. Im sure tracking an xrunner isn't the most ideal vehicle in the world obviously but it's what I got and I like to be unique. I suppose I could go with a cookie cutter set up on an mx5 or 240 or something but what's the fun in that.
Anyways thanks again you seem pretty damn knowledgable on this stuff def prob gonna use the stock 18's in the future to put some work in on the track and buy some wide 19's for the street but we shall see

Top Bottom