Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BESTBUY sucks....need help

07blkrunner

Reaction score
Ok took my truck to BB last night to get the new head unit and scosche DD installed. Asked the guy to install the bypass switch so I can wacth DVD's while driving:driver:. Well luckily I insisted on being there to watch him do the work because he never intended to put in the bypass. I told him to put the stock stuff right back in and I left. :motz:

So i guess now I will be doing to install myself which I should have done in the first place. So now I have a few questions before I start.

1. How do you remove the current radio dash cover?

2. I am installing a AVH-P4000DVD, will the harness that comes with the system be a direct plug and play set up or will I have to buy an adapter?

3. Finally I had an idea about where to put the bypass button to keep out of the way but where did some of you put yours?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
There's your first problem.....you went to Best Buy.....they blow :thumpdown:. Also I think you'll have a hard time finding someone to bypass the unit. It's illegal as far as I know and there would be a huge liability lawsuit hanging over them if you have proof they did it and you get in an accident. Installing it yourself is always the best way. Satisfaction of saying you did it yourself and secondly knowing it's done right. As for the bypass.....I don't have a switch for mine yet. It's hooked up to the emergency brake. Eventually I'll get around to throwing in a switch.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
There's your first problem.....you went to Best Buy.....they blow :thumpdown:. Also I think you'll have a hard time finding someone to bypass the unit. It's illegal as far as I know and there would be a huge liability lawsuit hanging over them if you have proof they did it and you get in an accident. Installing it yourself is always the best way. Satisfaction of saying you did it yourself and secondly knowing it's done right. As for the bypass.....I don't have a switch for mine yet. It's hooked up to the emergency brake. Eventually I'll get around to throwing in a switch.

yes it is through the emergency brake. but there is some way that they trick the switch into thinkin the E-brake is always on, when it actually isn't . I have an avn6600, and i can watch dvd's while driving.My E-brake light isn't on or anything. funny thing is, my stereo was a dealer option. lol talk about liabilities.

lucke

Reaction score
Ok took my truck to BB last night to get the new head unit and scosche DD installed. Asked the guy to install the bypass switch so I can wacth DVD's while driving:driver:. Well luckily I insisted on being there to watch him do the work because he never intended to put in the bypass. I told him to put the stock stuff right back in and I left. :motz:

So i guess now I will be doing to install myself which I should have done in the first place. So now I have a few questions before I start.

1. How do you remove the current radio dash cover?

2. I am installing a AVH-P4000DVD, will the harness that comes with the system be a direct plug and play set up or will I have to buy an adapter?

3. Finally I had an idea about where to put the bypass button to keep out of the way but where did some of you put yours?
first off, having best buy install it was not the problem... you were asking them to do something that is illegal and dangerous.

secondly, if you don't know how to take the current radio dash cover off, or if the harness is PnP, or that there is no "bypass button", then you should have just let the experts handle this. the bypass is essentially closing the loop on the parking brake without engaging the brake itself or "bypassing the parking brake" and grounding the wire... there is no button for this that i have ever heard of.

i apologize if this sounds rude, but you're getting pissed off for a company not doing something illegal is completely absurd.

07blkrunner

Reaction score
It’s not a switch to totally disengage the unit it’s only a non-continuous power that interrupts the brake signal to the stereo for a second which allows me to watch DVDS going down the road. Hey if it wasn't illegal it wouldn’t be this fun :rock:. Sorry Grandma Safety.:ahhhhh:

Hitman

Reaction score
I have a switch on my truck you should have gone to Circuit City they do it also Ultimate Electronics if those are around your place.

I will post pics of where my swicth is located but I wont be able to post it until tomarrow I dont get home till 1a.m. but they put it underneath the steering wheel next to the Hood Openerthat way cops can't see it :top:

XNU

Reaction score
Curcit City did mine. I slipped the guy 20 bucks to bypass it and he did....

hrspwr236

Reaction score
THe people at Best Buy arent all that bad especially if you know them, i had my d3 installed at BB and they did a great job, sometimes you just come across people that dont care, one of our installers got fired for doing a bypass so they wont do it, with mine i couldnt becuase the bypass would messes with the gps and that is not worth it to me, good luck on the install, i hear they can be a pita

Hitman

Reaction score
THe people at Best Buy arent all that bad especially if you know them, i had my d3 installed at BB and they did a great job, sometimes you just come across people that dont care, one of our installers got fired for doing a bypass so they wont do it, with mine i couldnt becuase the bypass would messes with the gps and that is not worth it to me, good luck on the install, i hear they can be a pita

I guess the D3 isnt all that cracked up to be compared to the Eclipse :biggrin: jk :top:

firetuner911

Reaction score
some head units like the pioneer AVIC Z3 cant be bypassed without alot of messing with because the avic uses an internal accelerometer to tell if your moving or not, just save your self the headache and get a second monitor, hook it up to the rear output and put it where you want, that way you have 2 screens and no bypass to worry about :top:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
some head units like the pioneer AVIC Z3 cant be bypassed without alot of messing with because the avic uses an internal accelerometer to tell if your moving or not, just save your self the headache and get a second monitor, hook it up to the rear output and put it where you want, that way you have 2 screens and no bypass to worry about :top:

that is a great idea

i got my d3 becuase i gat an amazing deal on it so i cant complain but the eclipse unit that is in hitmans is awesome, i love the tiny back up camera the most

Super Werty

Reaction score
I guess the D3 isnt all that cracked up to be compared to the Eclipse :biggrin: jk :top:

Watching movies while driving isnt all that its cracked up to be...especially when your boosted:biggrin:...or even have any kind of n/a perf. mods:laugh:

*cough* hitman has no perf. mods cough*:laugh:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt let best buy install something for me, the people that work at mine are idiots. Also it is kinda illegal for him to install that so you cant really blame him cause he doesnt want to be liable for you when your gone.

Also from what I have heard all you have to do is ground the wire that is supposed to be connected to your e brake, then you can watch movies all the time.

You will probably have to get a wire harness adapter like this one, use butt connectors or solder to attach it to the harness that comes with your new headunit, then your factory harness should plug into the adapter.

But considering you live pretty close to me its possible I could help you out sometime too:top:

You drive in st marys much? Can you post a pic of your truck I think I mighta seen you the other day

Last edited:

07blkrunner

Reaction score
I will post some pics ASAP but tomorrow morning im going to the UMD game so I wont be home but later that night I planned on cleaning her up so ill take some pics then. I work down at PAX so im down that way pretty regularly. I actually think i might have seen you also.

07blkrunner

Reaction score
?????

Ok guys I got the head unit in last night and it was getting dark so I left the DVD E-brake bypass for tonight. Just to make sure I'm not going in blind let me just make sure I have the process correct. I run the long green wire to the power side (is it a 6V source of 12V???) of the E-Brake switch. Then if I want to watch movies while im driving I splice into that long green wire that comes from the DVD player harness and ground it? This is what i've taken from what I have read but enlighten me if im wrong.

Also Sorry I havn't put up pics yet revo i'll get on that soon.

I wouldnt let best buy install something for me, the people that work at mine are idiots. Also it is kinda illegal for him to install that so you cant really blame him cause he doesnt want to be liable for you when your gone.

Also from what I have heard all you have to do is ground the wire that is supposed to be connected to your e brake, then you can watch movies all the time.

You will probably have to get a wire harness adapter like this one, use butt connectors or solder to attach it to the harness that comes with your new headunit, then your factory harness should plug into the adapter.

But considering you live pretty close to me its possible I could help you out sometime too:top:

You drive in st marys much? Can you post a pic of your truck I think I mighta seen you the other day

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
a D3 can be bypassed fairly easy donot be fooled....its not about watching moviers either without the bypass you cannot address search while moving...

rich017

Reaction score
just splice the e-brake wire into the power wire. Takes all of 10 seconds.

07blkrunner

Reaction score
just splice the e-brake wire into the power wire. Takes all of 10 seconds.

Right thats the easy part but dont that wont allow me to play DVD's while driving. Not sure where the ground should be spliced in to make this possible.

rich017

Reaction score
Right thats the easy part but dont that wont allow me to play DVD's while driving. Not sure where the ground should be spliced in to make this possible.

that does allow you to play dvd's. It gives you constant power to the e-brake wire making the headunit think the e-brake is always on.

isnt that what you want? or do you want a switch in between

Top Bottom