Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Beware of Coolers

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Yes, you heard me right. Coolers. Drink carrying cartons of mayhem.

I was coming back from dinner the other night, a little tired, not too bad. I'm almost home, going around 60-65 like I normally do, and theres a bend in the road with no street lights or anything, I had the reglar beams on with no fogs and out of the darkness a cooler appeared in the middle of my road.

No time to turn out of the way, and I smacked into it, right in the middle of the truck's ground effects.

I pull over to the side of the road, remove the cooler from my skid plates and unwedge the lid from under the frame.

My right spoiler on the bumper is hanging off, and is cracked in several places, and the left side has a split and all the clips except a few have broken off.

I'm in the market for a new front spoiler set, i was thinking about ordering them from toyotapartsbarn.com but i'd rather ask up here if anyone could have any better deals. I can get them painted for a pretty good price, so paint isnt an issue.

Thanks guys,

X

P.S. I went to the body shop today to ask them to secure it for me so it wont fall off again for a little bit. They handed me a couple wire ties and left, the usual guy who does my repair work for me isnt there, so I swallowed my pride and secured the kit back on and left.. :thumpdown:

BlackCat

Reaction score
I believe that would be covered under your insurance's comprehensive coverage as "road hazards". If you have that coverage, check into it. Depending on your insurance carrier, there might be no rate increase associated with a comp claim - just your deductible.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
500$ detuctible, and i believe i only have liability.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
ah that sucks bro...sorry to hear about this...

good luck on the repairs and keep us posted...:top: just double check your insurance policy...

Reaction score
Post up in the wanted sect, or look in the for sales if you haven't already...

VIS makes fiberglass coppies too if you didn't already know...

Damn coolers... Did it at least have beers for you?

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
That sucks Bro. :thumpdown:
Hope there was at least a cold beer in the cooler! :top:

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Beer? Let me check under my truck, maybe a couple got stuck.

But anyway, I double-checked, I thought i edited my post earlier, i have full coverage.

Unfortunatly the insure company wont claim it as a "Road Hazard" Because the cooler was "stationary", as in, if it had fallen off the back of the truck and hit me, it would have been different. But it was sitting there (On a dark road, dark red cooler, wtf?)

So I still have the 500 dollar deductible, and since it was considered a "Collision" I went to a couple collision centers and got two estimates, one for

844.01 total,
parts replaced include:
1. Repl RT spoiler - add for clear coat
2. Repl LT spoiler - Add for clear coat
3. Subl Hazardous waste removal
4. Repl Flex Additive <- I have no idea what this is.
Parts: 555.70
Body labor: 142
Paint labor 58
Paint supplies 39.2
Misc: 10.00

this one is cheaper, but the other estimate I got sounds ALOT more thorough, and the shop looked ALOT more professional.

Grand Total: 1291.18
1. R&I Bumper assy
2. Rpr Bumper Cover w/SR5 package w/ fog lamp - Add for clear coat
3. Repl RT spoiler - Add for clear coat
4. Repl LT Spoiler - Add for Clear coat
5.Repl RT Spoiler protector
6. Repl LT Spoiler protector
7. Repl RT Spoiler Retainer
8.Repl Cover
9. Repl LT spoiler retainer
10. Repl Cover clip
11. Haz Waste disposal

Parts: 680.26 (without the waste disposal)

Body Labor: 168
Paint labor: 235
Paint supplies: 156.80
Misc: 5.00

-> $1291.18

So what do you guys think? Either way im paying $500 dollars. Should I go with the more professional looking guys or the cheaper looking ones?

Oh, The cheaper ones told me they fixed a RR earlier that day, I saw a picture he showed me, had a black billet-style grille with the red X-Runner logo in the bottom right of the grille, said it was a marines wife or something? I think i've seen that truck up here before.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i would go with the more professional shop...its better peace of mind...why not give the XR the best...:top:

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Agreed, I may ask them to do the EVO mod as well while they paint it.. I just hope they dont give me a subaroooooo to drive while they repair it :laugh:

Um sir, I can't drive this car, its broken. It's missing a pedal.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Unfortunatly the insure company wont claim it as a "Road Hazard" Because the cooler was "stationary",

4. Repl Flex Additive <- I have no idea what this is.

"Stationary" ?? Hmmm... odd... a coworker of mine ran over a big rock on the road, the rock had fallen off a nearby cliff. The rock tore out the bottom of his car, destroyed the engine (ripped a hole in his oil pan, he didn't realize it and kept driving). His insurance covered it under road hazard. I guess it's a function of whatever adjuster you get to review your claim and how bad a hangover he had that morning...

As for the flex additive, it's an additive added to paint to make it more flexible. It's sometimes added to paint used on bumpers and other plastic parts. Opnions vary on whether it's needed or not but the stuff is expensive.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I wish it was a road hazard, but the way it was explained to me, is that since it was stationary, as in not moving (Road hazard: Deer, birds, elderly, ect) that it was a colision, and that I could have avoided it at 11:30 at night with a full belly and 4hrs of sleep the night before.

I still have the cooler. It's pretty much in decent condition for being hit by a truck going 60mph.

I'll upload pics a little later.

Top Bottom