Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bicycles

MplsX

Reaction score
Right now I have two jobs. I work in an independent garage for the money and I also work in a independent bike store for fun. The bike I recommend the most for "average people" that haven't ridden in a while is the Trek 7.3. It's a hybrid with no suspension, but that means lighter weight and a zippier ride. Fit is the most important thing. Components can be easily changed but you are stuck with the frame. I also have the customer ride several different , (but similar) styles of bikes to cut down on buyers remorse. Let you wife decide what she wants by riding bikes that interest her and have her ignore advise by "experts". She is the one that is going to own it and ride it.

redarkx

Reaction score
well ezjam... we may not be albe to agree what bike he should get her... but i will second that they are a rush! :biggrin:

ezjam

Reaction score
redarkx you're right. we could debate forever on this 29er issue. the important thing to remember is that the bike is like the suspension and the rider is like the engine. get your bike and train so you feel like 700hp! after that "run what ya brung".

mplsx those trek 7.3s are really popular here. they're great bikes. we have several linear parks here and they are all over the place. great bike! that is what i consider street bikes. neighborhoods, sideways, cut through alleys, gravel roads. transportation!

Last edited:

Bobby B

Reaction score
Giant Trance X is a great all all around bike, Also the Giant Anthem is rad and the Giant XTC hard tail. The xtc and and Anthem come in 29'er version if ur into that . I've sold Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott, Haro, Intense, Chumba wumba, Kona, Fischer ect and by far Giant offers the best components and the the latest technology for the best price. there warranties are lifetime on the frames and they actually stand behind it. Giant is the Largest bike manufacturer in the world they make bikes for many other bike companies.
But the best way to pick a bike is to ride different ones each brand will offer something different. Every frame has different geometry so one that you ride is bound to speak to you and let you know this is the one. take your time and ask tons of questions, and a lot of shops offer 2 months same as cash financing.
Good luck

MplsX

Reaction score
Giant Trance X is a great all all around bike, Also the Giant Anthem is rad and the Giant XTC hard tail. The xtc and and Anthem come in 29'er version if ur into that . I've sold Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott, Haro, Intense, Chumba wumba, Kona, Fischer ect and by far Giant offers the best components and the the latest technology for the best price. there warranties are lifetime on the frames and they actually stand behind it. Giant is the Largest bike manufacturer in the world they make bikes for many other bike companies.
But the best way to pick a bike is to ride different ones each brand will offer something different. Every frame has different geometry so one that you ride is bound to speak to you and let you know this is the one. take your time and ask tons of questions, and a lot of shops offer 2 months same as cash financing.
Good luck

Well said Booby B. I agree that you should shop around and test many different brands of bikes. Take a weekend or two and be patient! Small things such as color and graphics can be a huge deal with some customers, so check out lots of shops. Personally, I avoid the bike chain stores since I find most to be concentrated on production and sales instead of proper bike set up. The shop I work for spends an average of about a hour unpacking and dialing in new bikes. Most bike chains don't check all of the adjustments like we do. It's like auto repair, everyone does not do quality work.
If the trails you are going to ride are off road then knobby tires might be a good idea, if they are paved, than a smoother faster tire might be a better choice. Let your woman make the choice of her bike and don't force her into something that you like.
So, check out as many bikes as you can, MAKE SURE IT FITS!, and then do some test rides. She will certainly find her dream machine! Good luck.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
The closest bike store has only Fuji bikes. I havent checked out the stores that are a little further away yet.

The only problem of letting her choose is that she will go to a chain store and get a bike because its cheap , and it probably wont fit her properly. She is already talking about just going to dicks and getting a diamondback vital because its on sale...

I will continue to do some more research and pop back in here later

Bobby B

Reaction score
The closest bike store has only Fuji bikes. I havent checked out the stores that are a little further away yet.

The only problem of letting her choose is that she will go to a chain store and get a bike because its cheap , and it probably wont fit her properly. She is already talking about just going to dicks and getting a diamondback vital because its on sale...

I will continue to do some more research and pop back in here later

Most bicycle manufacture websites will post fitment guides and they are for the most part pretty accurate. A good bike shop should offer you free adjustments for at least 30 days, ours does for a year. Also they should be able to fit you properly, and if they don't have your size they should be able to get it within a couple days. Don't be afraid to make them work for you.
Also, remember the cables will stretch after a few rides so shifting might get clunky but don't stress it's just a quick adjustment. MplsX is right most shops do not spend a lot of time adjusting shift and brake cables. So if you find a bike you really like and it's not shifting properly just ask the mechanic to adjust it really quick and you should be good to go.
Before you buy the Diamondback Vital check out the Giant "Roam" just a bit more money but a great bike.
Remember test ride, test ride, test ride.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread jack but since there is a lot of bike knowledge in this thread I might as well as my question here.

I have this bike http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2005&Brand=Trek&Model=Liquid+25&Type=bike
and the disk brakes always feel super mushy and don't work very good (the back one doesn't work at all). I have gone to the bike shop and got the brakes bled, new brake pads etc and it will worked OKAY for a little bit then it will feel like crap again. Any advice on how to fix this? Is it expensive? I have had this bike for a long time, rode it hard and have crashed it.

Sorry again for the thread jack and thanks in advanced.:adore:

MplsX

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread jack but since there is a lot of bike knowledge in this thread I might as well as my question here.

I have this bike http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2005&Brand=Trek&Model=Liquid+25&Type=bike
and the disk brakes always feel super mushy and don't work very good (the back one doesn't work at all). I have gone to the bike shop and got the brakes bled, new brake pads etc and it will worked OKAY for a little bit then it will feel like crap again. Any advice on how to fix this? Is it expensive? I have had this bike for a long time, rode it hard and have crashed it.

Sorry again for the thread jack and thanks in advanced.:adore:

Are you losing brake fluid? If you are it sounds like a leak. Are you using the correct fluid? Some hydraulic brakes call for "mineral oil" as a fluid, but it is not the mineral oil that is commonly known. So, use the correct fluid and check the entire system for leaks. Good luck.

And for the original poster...... Once your future wife rides a bike store bike she will never settle for a big box store machine. Have her ride one of the local Fuji's and then take a road trip to check out some other brands.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Are you losing brake fluid? If you are it sounds like a leak. Are you using the correct fluid? Some hydraulic brakes call for "mineral oil" as a fluid, but it is not the mineral oil that is commonly known. So, use the correct fluid and check the entire system for leaks. Good luck.

Thats the thing I don't get. I can't find a leak anywhere. I've checked over the whole brake line system and there is no evidence of loosing brake fluid. I took my bike to a pretty decent bike shop so I don't think they screwed up and put the wrong oil in. I made sure that they used the best parts etc they could put into it but it has been happening for the past 2 years and has gotten progressively worse. :dontknow: Thanks for the input.

Bobby B

Reaction score
Thats the thing I don't get. I can't find a leak anywhere. I've checked over the whole brake line system and there is no evidence of loosing brake fluid. I took my bike to a pretty decent bike shop so I don't think they screwed up and put the wrong oil in. I made sure that they used the best parts etc they could put into it but it has been happening for the past 2 years and has gotten progressively worse. :dontknow: Thanks for the input.

If your Trek is an '05 I would say just spend the dough and replace the the whole brake system. You can find a complete set of Shimano XT or Hayes disc brakes for a reasonable price on the internet. If you've been riding aggressively through dirt, water mud ect then it's probably time. If in fact the wrong fluid was used it could possibly have an effect on any seals/internal parts within the calipers or levers making them expand or get soft (which could happen over time any way with 6 year old brakes) I would look at this as an opportunity to upgrade, because your brakes are the last thing you want to fail on you.

redarkx

Reaction score
I agree with bobby b, sounds like a good time to upgrade. As much as I like to support my local bike shop, on bigger stuff line that I recommend jensenusa ( i think that's right, at work and on my phone) for good deals on that stuff. They should come pre bled and filled with fluid so now install worries.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
She is set on the Diamond back, and i have learned to pick my battles so i will not argue with her on this one.

But that doesnt mean thats what i have to get! So here is what I have arrowed it down to. Do any of these strike you guys as a "do not get". I have not been able to see any in person yet

Haro
Flight Line Three
(unlikely i will get this one because i do not have a local dealer)

Gary Fisher
Advanced Disc
Kaitai

Trek
3700 Disc
3900 Disc
Advance

Giant
Revel 1
Roam 1

ezjam

Reaction score
what kind of trails do you have where you live? the 26ers you picked all have fatter tires and fatter tire choices. the 700c wheeled bikes are more smooth trail bikes and would be better for sidewalk parks like we have here in san antonio. all of them are good choices, now it's down to where you will spend more of your time.

redarkx

Reaction score
I like the treks and giants. I have not had any experience with the haros though. I have ridden the 3700 and like it very much. My current bike us a 2009 Giant XTC Alliance and have good luck with it. So it's really a toss up. All of the bikes you listed are good quality bikes and it just depends on what feels better.

AsianTaco

Reaction score
I have a Cannondale and a Jamis Parker II. Craigslist I've seen some sweet deals on bikes (even though I did not get my bikes from Craigslist lol).

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I will never understand women

She goes to another local bike shop to check out the bikes on my list, and tells them about the diamondback she was looking at. They tell her it wouldnt be a very good bike, especially if I get one of the bikes im looking at, it wouldnt be "fair" to her :laugh:

She wouldn't take my, (or your) opinions on getting a "quality" bike but she will listen to someone else:argh:

Any way, we will be heading to the "Bike Doctor" shop and testing out a pair of the Giant Roam 1.

Also the guy there told her that she would need to get the "smallest" one they make, and I will need the "biggest" and they will have to special order them and it may take a few weeks. So can you give me some opinions on sizes (Im about 6'5" and she is about 5'4")

O and we have both decided that we would be more intersted in off road trails ( I guess single track style) How would the Roam 1 do if i decided to take it "off trail" and just ride through the woods and start my own trail?

ezjam

Reaction score
that's a nice bike. more for smooth trails. if you ride really technical trails with lots of rocks and steps/drops you will want a bigger tire and that frame may not allow it, so check that if you "like it rough". lol. anyway, at your height i would NOT buy a 26er with out first trying a 29er. if you cannot get one in your price range, i can understand but you will have a high center of gravity and you will feel much better on a 29er when it comes to going down hills and drops. believe me, nothing feels worse than feeling like the bike is too short and you're going over the bars. then again, it depends on how and where you ride. i can tell you one thing about bikes, if you aren't crashing, you're not going fast enough. it's just part of the game. but you don't want to crash because your bike is too small. and wheels can really make it seem small if you're a big guy.

redarkx

Reaction score
i can tell you one thing about bikes, if you aren't crashing, you're not going fast enough. it's just part of the game.

amen to that right there! and eventually scars will tell the stories. I will say that I like the roam and with your size youd probably be good on a large framed bike. on the 26 vs 29, i still say stick with the 26 though. but by all means go ride a 29 and see what YOU like best. then all i want to hear out of this thread is "OH WOW GUYS WE LOVE OUR BIKES" lol. :blurock:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
***UPDATE***
:smile:

We havent taken them out of the yard yet, but probably will this week. We got a pair of Giant Revel 1!

The only thing is I think I will have to take mine back because the front derailleur seems out of adjustment, when I shift I have to click it like 1 and a half times for it to switch gears.

but other then that

"OH WOW GUYS WE LOVE OUR BIKES":blurock: :laugh::top: thanks for all the help!!

2011-06-12102121.jpg

2011-06-12102040.jpg

2011-06-12102047.jpg

Top Bottom