Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bigger long tube headers!

Super Werty

Reaction score
Have some used originals but never installed them, now for sale. The new -1 do not hit the steering. Though must be dis-connected to install them.

ah ok good! I cant wait to get mine here. Even if its 15 rwhp thats very significant. Let's hope its 30:laugh::rock:

moonrunner

Reaction score
Doug Thorley website has them listed at $737.00 with 18hp and 26 fp.tq.

ntinhri

Reaction score
HHHHHMMMMMMMM.... Maybe I need to go visit the dyno shop a few more times!!!!

Super Werty

Reaction score
You sure that is not he first gen?

Yea thats first gen hp #'s

And I was thinking more about the 51 hp gain from the new tubes and pulley....thats peak hp....which is even more awesome. I wouldnt have guessed the new tubes would give so much top end

dont want to get my hopes up yet....I'll give a nice review when they get here

Emanon

Reaction score
Very nice Werty. Wonder what your exhaust will sound like now lol.

Coupe

Reaction score
Sounds like Gadget needs a group buy.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
A little bit better then the originals for the boosted guys, but I'll pass.

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
Very nice Werty. Wonder what your exhaust will sound like now lol.

lol, just when I thought my exhaust work was done.....:laugh:

I think this will be my 10th major change:laugh::ahhhhh:

SooRunner

Reaction score
Damn it, why did you have to show me that! LOL!

Must be a significant gain for us boosted folks.

Roxspin72

Reaction score
Group Buy

Deffinately will go in on this. But if not, URD has fair prices.

Suscribed...

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Damn it, why did you have to show me that! LOL!

Must be a significant gain for us boosted folks.

I would bet the gains are still limited to a small rpm range. The original DTLT only provided a significant gain over a 500-800rpm spread (about 3200/3500-4000rpms), with small gains through the rest of the rpm range up to redline. If I were to take a guess, with these new headers you would still see the large gains over a small range, but bumped up higher into the RPM band. Probably around 3k/3500 to about 4000/5000rpms, with a slightly larger gain over the rest of the RPM band.

1012240600x400THY515L_2.jpg

While they are an improvement for the boosted trucks, they are still badly designed when you are looking at performance. But for most people, bolt-on with no modification > real performance.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
^ What would be a better design? Custom? larger tubing? Appreciate the inputs you provided.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
^ What would be a better design? Custom? larger tubing? Appreciate the inputs you provided.

1 5/8 is probable the best diameter for most boosted apps (the 1.5" originals will perform better for the N/A guys). For those looking to push higher boost levels a 1 3/4" OD primary would be best if you don't mind losing the out-of-boost torque. When it comes to header primary tubes, going one step too large will have more losses in power then going one size too small. So if size X is the perfect size, but the headers are only sold in size X+1 or X-1, go with X-1 (unless you have plans on moving a lot more air through the motor)

The primary length is far too short. Being that the headers were designed to be an OEM replacement, they did what was necessary. The primary tubes look to be around 15-18" or so, which is too short for optimal gains. For our motor getting the total primary length into the 29-32" range is best. The unequal lengths will cause some scavenging issues. due to overlapping exhaust strokes (cyl 2 and 6 having a MASSIVE difference in length). So running more equal length would provide much better scavenging.

2nd major problem is the collector design. The convergent angle on these new collectors are especially bad (prev ones were actually better). Which makes for a harsh merger for the primaries. The collectors are too short (due to fitting the headers into an OEM spot). They lack any minor/major choke transition. Ideally having a low convangle into a 2.25" minor choke, with a very mellow divergent angle to a 2.5" major choke (collector exit) would be the best design for our application.

So to answer your question, custom full length headers are the best option if you are looking for just raw power, and can deal with running a custom exhaust.

While still very much in the rough draft phase, waiting on a couple initial investments, and something similar to these will be available for a limited time, and in limited numbers.

Header_v3.png

Header_v3_2.png

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
I love the concept above, but the problem is then you need a different Y and maybe even a different catback or modified existing catback

too pricey for me I think.

At least this far into the game....maybe if that had been drawn up 3 yrs ago

808XR10

Reaction score
damn xrunnit should have those made. its gonna be making alot of money if it actually work better than the DTs. baddasss looking headers bro:top:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
So for the N/A guys that want this new header.. does it mean and even greater loss of low end hp to obtain the gain...

X-roller

Reaction score
Anyone that is going to upgrade there headers hit me up with a price and I'll buy them. :top: Even consider selling them to me prior to the purchase so you don't have to put up so much cash. :biggrin: let me know fellas. :top:

Top Bottom