Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

black brake rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubjub

Reaction score
so my brakes have been going out for a while now and i finally ordered some off of brakepreformance.com and got some of the redTRD pads(aka dustmonsters).. anywho i ordered the black rotors and i seriously thought they would be like the picture from their site(basically black inside the slots/drills)
diagram-rotor.jpg

but i was shocked to find the brakes actually look like
Photo0145.jpg

now my question i've never really seen black brakes like this should i be worried about any safety issues or anything? they actually look kinda cool imo, esp since my truck is black(makes me kinda wish i could powder coat my chrome rims now ha) any thoughts/oppinions?

X-roller

Reaction score
that's pretty sick.... how much did it run you?

BlackCat

Reaction score
Is the black on those rotors actually part of the rotors or is it just an anti-corrosion coating that'll get burned off with use ? ... one way to find out ... :top:

SX TOY

Reaction score
the black on the braking surface will wear of in a few stops. it is just the zinc coating for the rotor.

jubjub

Reaction score
ahhh okay wasnt sure if it would rubb off or not, but they ran me like 130shipped (life time warranty to) not to bad....yeah if it was black all the way through that would be pretty pimp but we will see.

thanks everyone

Slay0r

Reaction score
lemme know how you like those from brake performance

im thinking about pairing up those exact rotors with EBC's yellowstuff (kevlar)

shaX 07

Reaction score
lemme know how you like those from brake performance

im thinking about pairing up those exact rotors with EBC's yellowstuff (kevlar)

I am running the brakeperformance.com slotted rotors with bendix ceramic pads, and it is a decent noticeable improvement over stock. In all honesty, it's still not enough braking performance for my liking. I would consider going with a BBK because these 1 piston calipers on the stock X's really do suck.

Slay0r

Reaction score
i know its not going to give me the performance of a BBK, but at the price im picking up those rotors and pads, i wouldnt expect it to.

Im coming from the 6-pot brembros from my 1 series. I dont know how some of your guys stop with the stock setup. Why didnt we get the 12.5" rotors like the 4x4 guys

shaX 07

Reaction score
i know its not going to give me the performance of a BBK, but at the price im picking up those rotors and pads, i wouldnt expect it to.

Im coming from the 6-pot brembros from my 1 series. I dont know how some of your guys stop with the stock setup. Why didnt we get the 12.5" rotors like the 4x4 guys

Toyota didn't want to put good brakes on the X-Runner because they wanted to sell more BBKs. Think about it, if the X came with good brakes, who would spend $2,200 on a TRD BBK?

Since they gave us crappy 1 piston calipers with 10" rotors, we all feel the pain of terrible braking and we ALL want a BBK, just some won't pay for it, but of course many do.

rich017

Reaction score
Toyota didn't want to put good brakes on the X-Runner because they wanted to sell more BBKs. Think about it, if the X came with good brakes, who would spend $2,200 on a TRD BBK?

Since they gave us crappy 1 piston calipers with 10" rotors, we all feel the pain of terrible braking and we ALL want a BBK, just some won't pay for it, but of course many do.

There was no point in making the X-runner a 6 lug truck. We have 5 lugs and that's why we have the same brake system the 4cyl Tacoma's do.

Slay0r

Reaction score
one point would b to give us bigger rotors lol

07SWB

Reaction score
Toyota didn't put bigger brakes on the xr because they cut corners wherever they can..

Those rotors look cool and from what I understand they make a pretty good increase in braking power.

I've got slotted/drilled rotors on all 4 corners of the titan and it stops pretty good for a big truck. Keep in mind I have nearly 13" rotors on all 4 as well. The trans am also has slotted/drilled rotors on the front of it and regular rotors on the rear. That will likely be swapped for a set of cts-v brakes on the front and ls1 brakes on the rear.

Wonder if there is an easy way for you guys to make a set of rear discs work on your trucks.. maybe brakes from a camry or rav4. Www.flynbye.com does all the fbody swap stuff. Maybe him or Coupe could do a conversion for your trucks.

sinister07

Reaction score
yeah thats just a coating they put on them. It will be gone by the time you make it to the corner...

ntinhri

Reaction score
I have slotted drill with trd pads.. Got rotors form same place. Brakes are great for me.. plenty of brake. Not sure why it wouldnt be enough brake???? Maybe its time for stickier tires...

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
I have slotted drill with trd pads.. Got rotors form same place. Brakes are great for me.. plenty of brake. Not sure why it wouldnt be enough brake???? Maybe its time for stickier tires...

If this guy says its enough brake it is for sure...

I remember my first BBK experience...almost put me and Justin through the windshield....they stop! lol

ntinhri

Reaction score
I'd be willing to have a brake off just to see... Slotted/drill and high end pads vs bbk! I bet its less than 5 foot at 60 mph. And I have yet to have fade or over heating brakes on my current setup.

Super Werty

Reaction score
I'd be willing to have a brake off just to see... Slotted/drill and high end pads vs bbk! I bet its less than 5 foot at 60 mph. And I have yet to have fade or over heating brakes on my current setup.

you also have a lighter truck than most. I would take you on that bet if someone with a very similar weighted truck went against you on bbk's

I bet my truck slows faster than a stock X

we should have a braking deceleration video wars thread, haha

X-roller

Reaction score
Toyota didn't put bigger brakes on the xr because they cut corners wherever they can..

Those rotors look cool and from what I understand they make a pretty good increase in braking power.

I've got slotted/drilled rotors on all 4 corners of the titan and it stops pretty good for a big truck. Keep in mind I have nearly 13" rotors on all 4 as well. The trans am also has slotted/drilled rotors on the front of it and regular rotors on the rear. That will likely be swapped for a set of cts-v brakes on the front and ls1 brakes on the rear.

Wonder if there is an easy way for you guys to make a set of rear discs work on your trucks.. maybe brakes from a camry or rav4. Www.flynbye.com does all the fbody swap stuff. Maybe him or Coupe could do a conversion for your trucks.

I was wondering that as well! Lol... Funny how things pop up like this..... Well I am currently on the hunt for a 2006 Toyota Highlander.... They all come in a five lug and if the rotor fits i'm gonna try and see if the brackets are a straight bolt on. :biggrin:

blastap

Reaction score
I have had enough brake fade for both of us Steve-O. I have new brakes on the way and im stoked about stopping better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom